+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative Medicine

Thanks greycoat. On topic: I had a form of acupuncture using heat "cigars" to try to turn my first child that was breach. It didn't work and she had to be delivered c-section, but it was an interesting adventure. My mom asked, "Did you still have to pay?" My dad is a doctor, so you figure out my answer.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    Been there. Had a section of my colon removed. Joeguy too. Ended up with a hernia after the surgery. Joe and I could tell you some stories. Joe had it much worse than me.

Yeah, they want to remove part of my mom's colon too. It's down in the Sigmoid area of the colon, very close to the rectum. She won't let them, b/c she's afraid she may end up with a colostomy (it's a possibility). She's currently modifying her diet to avoid it, which if she would have gone to the Dr. a YEAR AGO WHEN IT STARTED :rolleyes, it may not have gotten to this point. God she makes me so mad, don't get me started! :mad
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by blue jean baby
    Yes he has Aspergers. Most people have never heard of it so i just say a mild form of autism, which is the way the pediatrician that got us a diagnosis described it to me. i can tell you the word autism was more scary to me the the word Aspergers was (of course i had never heard of Aspergers, so it was still a little mind boggling that my son could have that, lol)

t

I have a cousin with it, & I studied it briefly in school, that's the only reason why I knew what it was.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

FORT Fan

Accupuncture anyone?

I was wondering if anyone had an experience with accupuncture? I've been having some minor health problems in my stomach, plus some really bad menstrual cramps- really bad during that time, but also throughout the month as well. My doctor has suggested a hysterectomy, or some other procedure that isn't as invasive, to consider. I'm not sold on having unneccesary surgeries done, and since this isn't an emergency situation, just a daily inconvenience, I would rather try something else first. (and just to clarify- my doctor suggested a hysterectomy for relief, not to clear up a health problem- I don't want anyone to think that I think they are unneccesary) So, without giving out way TMI- just thought I would throw this question out to see if anyone has done it, how expensive is it, and did it work for your particular problem? Does insurance usually cover it? And, is it a good way to get your entire body back into balance?

Boy stinkerbell do I have some suggestions for you!

First. You need to go to a Medical Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine (M.D.TCM) for the accupuncture. Don't just go see an "accupuncturist". They do not know the whole workings of the body and do not have 4 yrs extensive study in Chinese medicine. A very good practitioner does not need to hook up their needles with an electrical current. They hit the right meridian spot every time. They also may use moxa, which is a herb that smells like "pot" I'm told, to warm a spot on your skin, or cups that take heat out of the body. You should not need to spend a lot of money on herbs to take. If the place you go to has a "store" in their office, I would avoid it, as they will probably suggest a lot of purchases.

I have been to several accupunturists. Some are medical doctors basically in training. They don't know enough. One was a massage therapist who took a course. He wasn't good. Another was a very good established MD,TCM, but he had a "store" of herbs and products that he insisted I needed.

I now have a marvelous lady I see. I have been going for a year and it has improved my sleep, concentration, nightmares, hot flashes, night sweats (avoid garlic!), and generally I feel more peaceful. My family say's I'm more like my "old" self. You may not have to go this long at all. I am working on many, many things. My older sister had some problems that sound very similar to you and was either told to live with it, or have surgery. She wasn't comfortable with either and her problems have totally straightened out and she feels great!

I would definitely encourage anyone to try accupunture, but only from a MD of TCM as mentioned above.

My health care plan doesn't cover any of it. I payed $75 for the initial visit which was an hour of long history, plus a treatment. Every treatment after is $50. It usually takes about 1/2 hour.

I realize it is a lot of money, but it certainly has worked for me. And considering the $$ I have spent on medications and such, it is one thing that has proved successful, WITHOUT side effects I might add.

I wish you Good Luck if you choose this route
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar
    Ditto on all Miss. Kitty just said! My accupunturist has helped my so much.
    Please, do give this a try. And if one guy is not working for you try another. Also, give it a couple of weeks to work. Good luck!

Misskitty, how often do you have to go to this doctor? Also, did it work from the very first time? I'm having recurring problems with my shoulder and arm (carpal tunnel plus possible injury) and might want to check this out, if you don't have to do it too often...too many times hurts the pocketbook and my day sleeping!
    (This middle age thing sucks. By the time you get one problem fixed, another body part wants to act crazy!)
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD
    I see an MD TCM and she is wonderful. Helped me immensely with IBS and other problems. However, I can't do accupuncture. I kept getting hives at the needle sites and the itching drives me CRAZY. And she uses alcohol wipes before inserting and they are new, sterile needles. But the hives thing really bothers me. I get it when I get a sandspur or other small puncture wound to my skin. Whatever I have causes a hives reaction whenever my skin is scraped, scratched or cut or poked. Weird I know.

I wish I could take the accupuncture because I have fibromyalgia and I know that its supposed to be fabulous for that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Always Loved My Furry One Mimzy's Avatar
    Later last night it came to me what stinkerbell needs. I've taken this herb and it did wonders for the cramping trouble.
    Mom read about it in Prevention. Brand name - Solaray. Supplement - Vitex Vitex Agnus-Catus. I used the 400 mg. Only had to do it about three months and I've been so much better ever since. Check health food stores and ask about dosage. I can't remember. Hope it helps!

FORT Fan
    Thank you MissKitty, myrosiedog, Mimzy, and QueenB. I will definately look into all of your suggestions! Can't wait to get started!

+ Reply to Thread