+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative Medicine

My insurance does not cover chiropractic treatments, do you think it helps enough that it would be worth my paying for the treatments out of pocket? How much does it cost to go to one btw?

brb

ps it is rough Gutmutter but my son is a sweet heart at times and he is really a good kid for the most part. My older son has severe ADHD (he is growing out of it some and gets better and better every year) anyway before PJ started school we thought he was the greatest child in the world because he would sit in his room for hrs and hrs and play quietly all by himself and his older brother could not be left alone for 5 minutes or he was into something. We never really realized there was anything wrong with PJ until he started school and the teachers said he was not normal. i was a stay at home mom and PJ had a very structered life before he went to school. He and i did the exact same things every day and as long as everyone left him alone he was fine. When he went to school and things were changing and he had to interact with other people besides just the ones in our home was when we found out all the problems he had. Things are hard with PJ right now but we will all get through it i am sure... some how we always find the strength to figure out what to do or try next.

Autism Awareness Ribbon greycoatonawitc's Avatar
    the cost depends on the chiropractor. our insurance didn't cover the kids either usually xrays can cost $100 and adjustments usually run around $25-$30 a piece but we were lucky enough to find a chiropractor that charged us only $1 a visit and did the heat sensor test instead of xrays. it doesn't hurt to call around and ask. we started taking the boys twice a week during the summer...now it's once a month (that's only because our schedule is crazy and can't get there.)

one of the thoughts of getting adjusted is when your spine and neck are aligned....you feel good thus, do better in everything you do.

we realized that there was something different about the twins when they were a year and a half. but their doctor said that they were ok. so by two and a half we knew there was something wrong....they were TOO good (they never complained because they didn't talk. plus, no eye contact.) we got them diagonsed by age three then started school at the special needs school.

i enjoy my twins. we dance in the kitchen. I thank God they love hugs & kisses. i don't know what i would have done if they were the type that didn't like to be touched. the twins have made so much progress in 3 years. My husband and I can dream of a normal life for our sons again.
    Last edited by greycoatonawitc; 10-23-2004 at 11:11 PM.
    April is Autism awareness month!! I have 6 year old faternal twins with Autism. they are wonderful little guys. It's not misbehaving....it's a disablity.

My nephew was "diagnosed" early so they could get help, but they were told it might not actually be autism. Since then, it has been confirmed. Her biggest worry is that she will always be responsible for his care. At the risk of sounding naive, do they ever "outgrow" autism to any extent? He is in a classroom with a 1-on-1.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    My nephew was "diagnosed" early so they could get help, but they were told it might not actually be autism. Since then, it has been confirmed. Her biggest worry is that she will always be responsible for his care. At the risk of sounding naive, do they ever "outgrow" autism to any extent? He is in a classroom with a 1-on-1.
    my worry is that our oldest daughter (she's 8 right now) will have to take care of the twins when she is grown up. my husband works with young adults with autism and there is noway that they could ever care for themselves. at the age of 6, my twins help me with some baking and house cleaning (not much because they are 6 lol) we are doing our best to teach them life skills so they might be able to live on their own (or we are also prepared to build them their own house on our property.)

i belong to a msn group that is run by people with autsim and they live "normal" lives (married with children, living on their own & jobs.)

**sorry for getting off topic. you can PM any time if you want to talk more**
    April is Autism awareness month!! I have 6 year old faternal twins with Autism. they are wonderful little guys. It's not misbehaving....it's a disablity.

You aren't off topic as far as I'm concerned. It is really interesting to read what you have to say.

whenever i'm asked about them i can't stop talking can you tell i'm a proud mom? i decided that i will not be embarassed or ashamed of my sons. they are terrific little guys and if people can't see that past the arm flapping and squealing noises then i want nothing to do with them.

Quote Originally Posted by blue jean baby
    i have a son that just turned 12 and he has a mild form of autism, i wonder if it would help him...
    bjb
    Does he have Asperger's?
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by greycoatonawitc
    . A close family friend went on a holistic juice diet and beat breast cancer (we didn't agree with her doing that but she remained under a doctors care.)
    Was the juice Noni? My mom swears by that stuff, I've used it before & weirdly enough, it did help me. I'm all for holistic medicine, but then you have people like my mother (& there's plenty of them out there) that won't go to a Dr., they just go to the healthfood store & tell them they have thus & such problem & then they load up on whatever they tell them to take. My mom was bleeding rectally for ALMOST A YEAR & wouldn't go to a Dr. She didn't even know what specifically was the cause. I mean, she could have had cancer, but she insisted on doing her natural thing & ended up in the hospital in August. Turns out she has diverticulitis, but it just blows my mind that she'd avoid the Dr. rather than find out what was wrong.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by holly71
    Does he have Asperger's?
    Yes he has Aspergers. Most people have never heard of it so i just say a mild form of autism, which is the way the pediatrician that got us a diagnosis described it to me. i can tell you the word autism was more scary to me the the word Aspergers was (of course i had never heard of Aspergers, so it was still a little mind boggling that my son could have that, lol)

t

Quote Originally Posted by holly71
    Turns out she has diverticulitis,
    Been there. Had a section of my colon removed. Joeguy too. Ended up with a hernia after the surgery. Joe and I could tell you some stories. Joe had it much worse than me.

+ Reply to Thread