+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Alternative Medicine

Re: Alternative Medicine

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3207334;
    Rattus, I'll find out from my aunt what herbs to take because she's been taking herbs for a few years now and says her symptoms are amazingly small compared to most women her age. I'll let you know.
    As I type this, I am in the middle of a raging hot flash. I can literally go from freezing to burning up 5 - 10 times in an hour. What really helps the hot flashes? I am currently on prescription meds for blood pressure, generic Prozac and some kind of water pill. Anything that won't interfere with those things?

I'm just a hunka hunka burning...blub.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Aww, I'm sorry Elizabeth. My aunt never got back to me on what she's taking. I would be very careful with taking any kinds of herbs with the meds you are taking.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Black Cohosh is supposed to be good for hot flashes. I had them pretty bad for about a year into my chemically induced menopause (cancer-related) and then they just went away. Spicy food, exercise, and caffeine can bring them on.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3224514;
    Black Cohosh is supposed to be good for hot flashes. I had them pretty bad for about a year into my chemically induced menopause (cancer-related) and then they just went away. Spicy food, exercise, and caffeine can bring them on.
    Great....I work out at the gym 3-4 times a week and I cannot face a morning without one or four cups of coffee! Guess I need to switch to decaf, but I don't plan to give up the exercise. Someone else (prhoshay ) has recommended apple cider vinegar so I'm going to give that a try. Why don't men have to go through menopause?
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I read, a little while ago, that men ALSO have hot flashes!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3224514;
    Black Cohosh is supposed to be good for hot flashes.
    Word of warning, though. Black cohosh has been linked to an increased susceptibility to cancer. Unfortunately it is the only herbal relief proven to have any sort of efficacy in menopause relief, which is why the only thing I'm taking is St. John's Wort for the mood swings.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

It's important that you speak to your Doctor about any OTC or herbal medications that you take, to make sure that there isn't an adverse reaction to your prescribed meds. I've heard that you shouldn't take Black Cohosh for long periods of time.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I too have heard men can get hot flashes. It hasn't happened to mr buglover yet, he's always freezing!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3224526;
    I read, a little while ago, that men ALSO have hot flashes!!!

Seriously? If my husband had a hot flash, he might be a little more sympathetic when I'm having mine. Where does one read up on this?

My husband is actually 16 years older than me, maybe he's already past that point.

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethG;3224521;
    Great....I work out at the gym 3-4 times a week and I cannot face a morning without one or four cups of coffee! Guess I need to switch to decaf, but I don't plan to give up the exercise. Someone else (prhoshay ) has recommended apple cider vinegar so I'm going to give that a try. Why don't men have to go through menopause?
    Is swimming an option? I loved to have my hot flashes in the pool - instant relief from the water. I tried the apple cider vinegar and it really upset my stomach, so be careful.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread