+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ear piercing

Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar

Ear piercing

I'm about to go get mine repierced again this weekend. My question is can they pierce your ear with earrings you already have? or if not, can I take them out right away and put in my own earrings. I've had bad luck as they kept getting severly infected, this would be the 4th time

You should just go in and get them pierced with the earings they have there and wait a week or two before you change them over. Your ears are likely to swell and you might not be able to get the one in that you want. Also, the new ones will probably be sterile while the ones you already have might have microscopic cooties roaming around. I suggest that you swab with alcohol then apply neosporin on your ears daily for about three weeks. This will keep your ears from being so irritated and possibly infected while they heal. You might also get into the habit of cleaning your earing posts with alcohol after you use them each time. This will save you from future infections.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar
    Thanks for your advice

I'm going to try that out, and hopefully have better luck this time !

I was recently thinking ab out having my ears pierced again, I've had them closed up for a long time now for the same reason as you, severe allergies (I've since then decided NOT to repierce ... ) anyway, the lady we talked to suggested that we go to a piercing place that know what they're doing, she said something like they pierce it with a needle or something like that and not with the "gun" & that this piercing method is better, especially if you have allergies, because she said the gun itself could give you allergies.

I'm thinking one of those piercing parlors will know what she was talking about, you may want to look into it (I was going to but then I decided not to pierce my ears again after all, I'd just live without the hassel of hurty ears hehe )

Good luck
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Okay here is my take... nearly anyone with infected ears.. get it from the earring. Not from lack of cleaning well... or the gun used. Its those cheapo fake gold coating earrings. They are killers on most people ears.

Now there are sterling silver stud-earrings made for those guns. Normally alot easier on the ears as they heal. Locally you can even buy the studs at Sally's Beauty Supply for about 5.00.

Now when I got my ears pierced... about 1980... they were done with 14kt gold studs.. and I never had any infection. But they were pierced by hand. Yes I mean... the girl that did the piercing.. pushed the earring through my ear with her hand! (The fact I got my second ear done is nothing short of a miracle.) But the post of those earrings were razor sharp. And I still have those bad boys all these years later. Just as a reminder why I never got a second set of holes.

I am curious if the piercing place is doing the same thing... using really good earrings and doing a manual piercing by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby
    Now when I got my ears pierced... about 1980... they were done with 14kt gold studs.. and I never had any infection. But they were pierced by hand. Yes I mean... the girl that did the piercing.. pushed the earring through my ear with her hand!
    OMG! I had mine done in 1974, at age 8, with super sharp studs in a nice gun at a jewelry store. No infection for me either. I don't wear earrings anymore, though. The holes are still there but they seem to get irritated when I wear earrings. I recall being told to rotate the posts a few times a day, swab with alcohol frequently, and don't take them out for 2 weeks. :nono

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuPam
    OMG! I had mine done in 1974, at age 8, with super sharp studs in a nice gun at a jewelry store. No infection for me either. I don't wear earrings anymore, though. The holes are still there but they seem to get irritated when I wear earrings. I recall being told to rotate the posts a few times a day, swab with alcohol frequently, and don't take them out for 2 weeks. :nono
    The only reason I had to have them done by hand.. cause my Mother refused to let the girl use the gun! My Mother had "heard" those guns were dangerous! So there I was 13 yrs old at Sanger Harris in the jewelry dept. being torture so I could wear the pearl earrings my Granny had got me for my birthday.

So anytime I see a girl with a whole ear full of piercings... I feel faint.

I got my left ear pierced with a gold stud. I kept it in for about 4 weeks before changing over to a silver hoop *which went well with my 1987 mullet*. I wore my earing all throughout high school. I haven't worn an earing in about 12 years, but every year, I repoke the back just in case I get the urge to relive the old days.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Get them pierced with the "starters" they have at the store and then leave them in as long as possible, like a couple months even. I've had problems with my ears, too, and the longer you keep the starters in, the better it is. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    I haven't worn an earing in about 12 years, but every year, I repoke the back just in case I get the urge to relive the old days.
    I do the same thing (almost). I have three holes in my left ear and wore three earings in it al through high school / college, but now wear just one. Every now and then though, I stick an earing in the other two just in case I ever feel like wearing all three again.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast