+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nail biting habit

I used to be anail biter too but since getting acrylic nails, I stopped. When I had the nails taken off, I never went back to the habit but they did always seem to break *grrr* Now, I have the acrylic nails again for a little while.

About children, very good question bjb! My 2 year old bites her nails all the time and her toe nails too!!! I have no idea why or how this started, she's been doing it for a year. Any ideas how to get her to stop?

You might try that No Bites. My other son used to suck his fingers and the Dr said it would make his teeth crooked (he was about 2) and we tried the "no bites" and he stopped. It tastes kind of bitter and some kids just hate the taste so they stop biting or sucking, whatever it is your trying to stop.

bjb

Bluejeans, the problem with boys is that they don't really care about how their hands look... Heck I'm a girl and I don't care!!! :rolleyes

I've been biting my nails and the skin around it for as long as I can remember. The few times my nails grew bigger one eventually broke and I tried to fix it... and fix it more... and fix it more until I had no nails anymore! Nothing seems to work. I even tried to concentrate my effort on one hand so that the other has time to get completly healed and I won't be tempted to bite the skin again, but I do it without even realizing it so it doesn't work. I stop myself and change hands when I notice I'm doing it, but suually it's too late.

And I'm way too low maintenance to try any cream, nail polish, manicure, acrylic nails, etc.
    Wrigleys Doublemint Gum....double your pleasure, double your fun!

That is true, he does not care what they look like. And he does it without realizing it too. i used to yell all the time, "STOP THAT" and he would look at me like "what... what am i doing? i gave up on the yelling, it didnt do any good just made him and me both nervous. But i do worry because he gets the infections.

bjb

I read somewhere the reason why people bite their nails is because they are nervous

so any of you nervous about "something" ?
    realitytvbites!

i think i bit mine out of nervousness at first...school test and such but now its just habbit.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by DisFUNctional
    i think i bit mine out of nervousness at first...school test and such but now its just habbit.
    I dont think i'll ever be able to quit to be honest, and my marte - she is probably the worst nail biter ever, i had no idea it was possible to bite them so low! she has no white nail at all! I think its a cute habit though, so as long as it doesn't hurt her, i'd never get her to stop

I used to bite my nails constantly until a few years ago. I didn't have any method of stopping- I just did.

Quote Originally Posted by jamei1972
    I dont think i'll ever be able to quit to be honest, and my marte - she is probably the worst nail biter ever, i had no idea it was possible to bite them so low! she has no white nail at all! I think its a cute habit though, so as long as it doesn't hurt her, i'd never get her to stop
    hmm maybe i should do it more...maybe around hot guys...if its a cute habit maybe i can pick some one up

FORT Fogey
    I used to BREAK my nails, not bite them. I did it when I was stressed.

The best thing I found to stop the habit is to apply NAILTIQUES Number 2 Formula on my nails.

It's a clear protein forumula that makes the nails grow wicked fast and they become very hard to break.

Blue Jean Baby, I think you may even be able to put Nailtiques on your son's hands, 'cause it's a clear polish. I don't have kids, so I'm not sure about this -- but maybe other kids would notice it and make fun of him?

Maybe they wouldn't make fun of him, though, so it may be worth a shot. If he wants to grow out those nails then Nailtiques is the stuff to use, 'cause it's effective (so he'll see results quickly) and it's relatively expensive ($10 for a quarter ounce) so he won't want to waste the stuff by biting it off.

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast