+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Comfort Food

Re: Comfort Food

Some of my favorite comfort foods are fried chicken, meatloaf with mashed potatoes, ginger ale (when I'm sick), and chicken noodle soup.

I think smells can invoke such memories in all of us from our childhood, or any meaningful event in our life, that we naturally find comfort in certain things just because of the memory or feeling we get when we smell or taste our "comfort" foods.

My grandmother made the best cabbage rolls and I will always associate her with them even though I don't know when I'll ever eat them again as I don't know how to make them. She put porkchops in the bottom of the pot too.

I am really bad about the salt thing -- I salt everything before I eat it - restaurant or not. Bugs the crap out of hubby...

I use very little salt when cooking and very rarely salt anything afterwards, usually only french fries or other potato dishes. I'm also conscious of the sodium content in packaged foods I buy and have started buying soups and other canned foods that say "less sodium" (although they don't taste as good as the full sodium versions). Another thing you have to watch for is sodium in lunchmeats. Some of them have double of their competitors. One of the things I hate about the diet food market is that those little frozen dinners are loaded with sodium and therefore I skip them altogether. I'd rather make my own meals anyway. It takes some getting used to but a person CAN cut out salt and sugar and eventually be fine with it. I quit drinking sweet tea a few years ago and now love unsweet tea although there was a time when I swore I could never drink it. You just have to start cutting back slowly until you don't need it at all. If you try to go cold turkey on salt or sugar it might be too much for your body to take

MRD

I've found that with Kosher salt, I use less and get more taste. I don't salt much while cooking because I got used to cooking that way for my parents years ago. But my husband salts everything at the table before he eats it. I've just gotten used to it.

But since I have started cooking with the kosher salt, I've noticed that none of us salt much at the table anymore and I do use less of the kosher salt than is called for in most recipes.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I like the kosher salt better, too. It's seems saltier, and less bitter, than the iodized salt.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2749618;
    Oh, and what's up with folks drinking a Coke out of a can, but putting a straw in there?
    Do people not do this? I always use a straw when I drink anything out of a can. I don't like touching the can part when I drink for some reason. I'd rather pour the drink into an glass full of ice (I love my drinks icy cold, even if they're right out of the fridge!), but when that cup of ice isn't available (like at work!), I'll stick a straw in the can and drink! I actually like to drink all my cold drinks with a straw--preferably a bendy one.

Regarding salt...I've been using less salt in my cooking than I used to, too. But I've eaten at people's homes when they are on low sodium/no sodium diets and it's all I can do to choke those meals down. If there's no salt, there needs to be some other spices. But if there's no spices, the blandness just screams out! I felt like a brute salting my food at someone's house but the food was completely tasteless. It may have been rude for me to salt their bland food, but it was also rude of them to stare at me while I did this. Just let it go, people...

I know this is going to sound like an odd comfort food, but sometimes I like having a Big Mac, fries and a chocolate shake. My parents used to bring that back home for me sometimes on weekends after they did all their errands. I was too little to finish the Big Mac by myself, but I still remember really looking forward to it. For some reason, that memory actually is making me a little sad...

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2753466;
    Do people not do this? I always use a straw when I drink anything out of a can. I don't like touching the can part when I drink for some reason. I'd rather pour the drink into an glass full of ice (I love my drinks icy cold, even if they're right out of the fridge!), but when that cup of ice isn't available (like at work!), I'll stick a straw in the can and drink! I actually like to drink all my cold drinks with a straw--preferably a bendy one.

Regarding salt...I've been using less salt in my cooking than I used to, too. But I've eaten at people's homes when they are on low sodium/no sodium diets and it's all I can do to choke those meals down. If there's no salt, there needs to be some other spices. But if there's no spices, the blandness just screams out! I felt like a brute salting my food at someone's house but the food was completely tasteless. It may have been rude for me to salt their bland food, but it was also rude of them to stare at me while I did this. Just let it go, people...

I know this is going to sound like an odd comfort food, but sometimes I like having a Big Mac, fries and a chocolate shake. My parents used to bring that back home for me sometimes on weekends after they did all their errands. I was too little to finish the Big Mac by myself, but I still remember really looking forward to it. For some reason, that memory actually is making me a little sad...
    Lois - I have the exact same issue with soda and straws!! - and all cold beverages need to be over ice with a straw and I also hate glassware - I much prefer plastic cups!!

I can definitely see why one would use a straw- if the can is dusty, I usually wet a napkin to clean out that little crease in the can top near the rim, which is probably an indicator that I should use a cup, but when I'm at work, I'm just too lazy.

Oh, and when I am sick, I only like to drink from a straw. I don't care when I'm healthy, but when I'm sick, I care.

As for ice, I don't like it. I'd rather drink a room temperature beverage than one with ice in it... the ice dilutes the beverage too much.

This may not make sense as a traditional comfort food, but it's recently become one--rice-a-roni. Whenever I go home, my mom makes it the night I'm back because I can't for the life of me ever make it right. It's just home to me whenever I think of it or eat it.
    Essentially anything I eat when I go home is comfort food. While I'm at school, comfort food isn't really a thought. Though I'd have to say it's becoming those Jello refridgerator pudding cups.
    Take-out wise, extreme pita's are my comfort food, but again I only get them back home.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2753675;
    This may not make sense as a traditional comfort food, but it's recently become one--rice-a-roni. Whenever I go home, my mom makes it the night I'm back because I can't for the life of me ever make it right. It's just home to me whenever I think of it or eat it.
    Essentially anything I eat when I go home is comfort food. While I'm at school, comfort food isn't really a thought. Though I'd have to say it's becoming those Jello refridgerator pudding cups.
    Take-out wise, extreme pita's are my comfort food, but again I only get them back home.
    I happen to love Rice-a-Roni!

Add me to the I need ice even if the beverage is straight out of the fridge.
    And I have to have glass for milk, but can drink everything else out of plastic. I only do straws at fast food places.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread