+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Comfort Food

Re: Comfort Food

Paula Deen cracks me up. She just about singlehandedly keeps the butter and bacon industries afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2751065;
    Paula Deen makes a bread pudding with Krispy Kreme's. I LOVE bread pudding and I LOVE Krispy Kreme's, but even I have not given in to this as I'm sure it is a heart attack on a plate with sauce!
    Yeah, I didn't want to mention that Krispy Kreme is more in the range of ~300 calories for any of their donuts-- I checked. I can't even imagine how many of those some bread pudding would require, but yes-- heart attack on a plate is pretty accurate.

Ooh, speaking of bread pudding, my mom makes a really good pumpkin bread pudding with caramel sauce. It is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2748765;
    Ha! (I can't believe no one, errr, touched this.)

Deep fried oreo sundae with chocolate syrup, whipped cream and a cherry = !!
    I am ever-so-not Southern, but I love hushpuppies!! I also like turnip greens, grits and corn bread.

* slight cultural food hijack* One thing I couldn't get past was the use of "parts." My SO's mother put tails, feet, necks or ears in all sorts of stuff when we visited. (i.e. Collards with okra and pig tails.) Now, I am not against parts in general. I love some good "empanadas de lengua" (fried turnovers with tongue, pork, apples, raisins, nuts) and posole (hominy) con menudo (tripe). But it was disconcerting to take a bite of something and find a spare part in it. *end hijack*

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;2751070;
    Paula Deen cracks me up. She just about singlehandedly keeps the butter and bacon industries afloat.
    My husband says she must have her own butter tanker truck.

I don't do many "parts" either. The one grocery I go to that is local and I buy all my meat there, they have lots of "parts". I think the chicken feet are the grossest thing they carry and that has to be bad as they have LOTS of pig parts too.

Missy, I love pumpkin bread, will your mother share her bread pudding with pumpkin bread recipe??? Please???
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

mrd- I share your love of all things fried.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2751091;
    My husband says she must have her own butter tanker truck.

If you remember - Julia Child was like this also. "Needs more butter" as another half pound disappears.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Our local T&T Supermarket, which is an oriental grocery store, has the most unique display of "parts" I've ever seen in their coolers. I sometimes go just to see what's there and always wonder what the heck do you do with something like that? How on earth would you cook it and eat it?

I've never eaten a lot of fried foods, butter, bacon or donuts in my diet. We grew up avoiding those things because of heart problems in the family history.

We don't even add much salt to anything either. Drives my sweetie nuts when he adds salt to everything and I ask, why don't you taste it first?? It's a really bad habit.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2751198;
    We don't even add much salt to anything either. Drives my sweetie nuts when he adds salt to everything and I ask, why don't you taste it first?? It's a really bad habit.
    I read in a book that its an insult to the chef as well.

I rarely add salt to anything after it is cooked. I do some while cooking but nothing near what I used to do years back.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Regular

The only thing I ever salt before tasting is eggs so I guess that's not so bad

+ Reply to Thread