+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Comfort Food

Re: Comfort Food

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;2749715;
    Nothing can beat good 'ole Lake Erie Perch!
    As someone who has pulled his fair share of "doubleheaders" out of Lake Erie before there were daily limits I'll have to say that Lake Erie yellow perch is some damn good eating.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2749046;
    since I can't do an attachment here's the link:
    Moonpie: Homepage
    Thank you gabriel! We call those wagon wheels up here...isn't that weird!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2749716;
    ok. we have left the realm of Comfort Foods and moved into gross-out for some of us non-southerners. *shiver*
    Which part of the country doesn't have fish fries? Or what is it that's so gross? just curious.
    And yes, perch or walleye work for me too! Catfish, not so much for me. I don't like the texture.
    MRD I have heard a million different origins for hush puppies--they can't all be right. But I choose to like the ones where the corn dodgers become hush puppies when fed to howling hounds to make them "hush, puppies!"
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

QB - none of it is gross, just outside my comfort zone
    y'all lost me at grits, fish and sushi

just different tastes - and that is what makes us all so special.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2750763;
    Which part of the country doesn't have fish fries? Or what is it that's so gross? just curious.
    And yes, perch or walleye work for me too! Catfish, not so much for me. I don't like the texture.
    MRD I have heard a million different origins for hush puppies--they can't all be right. But I choose to like the ones where the corn dodgers become hush puppies when fed to howling hounds to make them "hush, puppies!"
    I've heard a million tales about how they came to be called "hush, puppies", but I tend to think that the corn dodger thing is probably true and they obtained the name, hush puppy much later.

Corn and ground corn was SUCH a staple in the diet of the early settlers, that they ate it in great quantities and ate it as hoe cakes, corn pones, corn dodgers, corn bread, etc. But the thing about the Scots-Irish settlers said that corn dodgers were easy to make and eat when on the trail traveling.

It used to be that the ONLY fish I would eat was catfish, but now I like all fish. I tend to think my fish aversion was to all the stupid fish sticks I ate as a child. And I don't much like spagetti now because of the cans of spagettos I devored along with the fishsticks as a child. And I don't eat jello anymore either.
    Looking back, I think my entire childhood diet was fish sticks, spagettios and jello.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Of course here in good old Milwaukee WI - we have FRIDAY Fish fries almost everywhere. Stems from the old days of the major Catholic populace. Of course IF you're talking about fish fries as in french fries type of fries. Is there even such a thing?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

My favorite comfort food is hot, fresh donuts! I know this thread is mostly home-cooked items, but nothing beats a nice hot donut with some coffee for me - any day!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;2750972;
    My favorite comfort food is hot, fresh donuts! I know this thread is mostly home-cooked items, but nothing beats a nice hot donut with some coffee for me - any day!
    Oh you! Do not make me have to go to Duncan Donuts now! Or Krispy Kreme. (DD is closer, a lot closer than the KK)

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;2750972;

Oh no, you didn't just mention donuts!! I'm going to the ATM in a little while and there's a Krispy Kreme two blocks from there, and a DD between my apartment and the ATM. Oh, the temptation!!

ETA: And I just went to the DD website... they aren't as bad as I thought! I may have to go get one, since I only had a shot of yogurt for breakfast.
    Last edited by Missyboxers; 01-12-2008 at 03:19 PM.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;2751049;
    Oh no, you didn't just mention donuts!! I'm going to the ATM in a little while and there's a Krispy Kreme two blocks from there, and a DD between my apartment and the ATM. Oh, the temptation!!

ETA: And I just went to the DD website... they aren't as bad as I thought! I may have to go get one, since I only had a shot of yogurt for breakfast.
    Paula Deen makes a bread pudding with Krispy Kreme's. I LOVE bread pudding and I LOVE Krispy Kreme's, but even I have not given in to this as I'm sure it is a heart attack on a plate with sauce!

+ Reply to Thread