+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Comfort Food

Re: Comfort Food

I never aquired a taste for moonpies either. At a big arts and craft show near my home they sell fried moonpies. I have heard of fried candy bars and twinkies and I really want to try those but I can't bring myself to spring for the fried moonpie.

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;2749234;
    I never aquired a taste for moonpies either. At a big arts and craft show near my home they sell fried moonpies. I have heard of fried candy bars and twinkies and I really want to try those but I can't bring myself to spring for the fried moonpie.
    I just had some fried oreos a few nights ago. Dipped in chocolate - yummy!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2748926;
    Ummm, Goo-Goo Clusters. Made by the Standard Candy Company from my hometown of Nashville, TN. My unkle uncle used to work for Standard Candy and would bring us boxes of them. I love you Uncle Floyd.
    I want an Uncle Floyd. My aunt and Uncle world for Gulf Oil, so all we got was Gulf parafin and oil. I'm sure my dad liked getting the free oil.

We did also get a whole bunch of "giveaways" during the Apollo missions of the lunar landing module. Gulf Gas stations were giving these models away and you had to put them together, but it was kind of cool.

Would have been cooler had they worked at a Candy factory and not with petroleum products.

I have never had a fried twinkie, candy bar or oreo or the new fried coke. I would like too, but I never go to the places where they sell this stuff. Probably just as well.

Lucy and Unk, it amazes me the people I hear that won't eat grits, but love polenta. It's pretty near the same thing. I call Polenta "Italian Grits".
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD, then you will be happy to know - I won't eat either!

I was doing some work for a Popcorn/festival treat company - everytime I went on site to do some work - I ended up bringing home those 'tubs' of cotton candy. Heaven. But I'm glad I don't have to go there any more.

I also spent 9 month and 25 lbs working at a vending machine company in the office. Any 'goods' that were damaged at all were left on our desks. Twinkies, ho-hos, etc. Not a place to work when you have a serious sugar demon.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2748460;
    No because a true southerner only drinks Coke-Cola because it's southern from Atlanta, not New York like Pepsi is. Can I get an amen Queenie? Next thing I know you'll be saying you use a straw in your ice tea.
    Amen, brother! You KNOW I don't buy any Pepsi
    Oh, and what's up with folks drinking a Coke out of a can, but putting a straw in there?
    And I haven't had one in ages, but I LOVE GooGoo clusters.
    And, if I'm doing the kind of fishing where you get down IN the creek in shorts and old hoes, it's mandatory for lunch to be Moon Pie and Vienna sausage. I don't do that very much anymore either; development has put all my favorite creeks off linits.
    Which brings up another comfort food--hush puppies. Since I hardly ever fry anything anymore, I seldom make them, but at least once a year I like to get a big mess of crappie or bream (bluegill, if you aint from around here) and fry them, and have the fish, hushpuppies, and coleslaw
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2749618;
    big mess of crappie or bream (bluegill, if you aint from around here)
    For my northern friends that's pronounced "croppy" and "brim".

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2749618;
    Amen, brother! You KNOW I don't buy any Pepsi
    Oh, and what's up with folks drinking a Coke out of a can, but putting a straw in there?
    And I haven't had one in ages, but I LOVE GooGoo clusters.
    And, if I'm doing the kind of fishing where you get down IN the creek in shorts and old hoes, it's mandatory for lunch to be Moon Pie and Vienna sausage. I don't do that very much anymore either; development has put all my favorite creeks off linits.
    Which brings up another comfort food--hush puppies. Since I hardly ever fry anything anymore, I seldom make them, but at least once a year I like to get a big mess of crappie or bream (bluegill, if you aint from around here) and fry them, and have the fish, hushpuppies, and coleslaw
    I'm coming to visit the next time you go fishing!!! Love me a fish fry and some truly GOOD hushpuppies.
    I just read a history of the Scots-Irish in the Carolinas and hushpuppies were orginally made by the scots in the colonial days in the mountains and were called "corn dodgers". The name hushpuppie came later.

Unk, I've always called them "brim".
    Nothing beats a good fried crappie or "brim" except maybe catfish.

Nothing can beat good 'ole Lake Erie Perch!
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

ok. we have left the realm of Comfort Foods and moved into gross-out for some of us non-southerners. *shiver*

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2749716;
    ok. we have left the realm of Comfort Foods and moved into gross-out for some of us non-southerners. *shiver*
    But what's comfort to some may not be to others.

I have really enjoyed this thread. It actually is helping me as I have changed my eating plan this week. I may not be able to enjoy these things right now, but talking about them is the next best thing.

+ Reply to Thread