+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Comfort Food

MRD

Re: Comfort Food

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2747319;
    Oh. Thanks myrosiedog. Born and raised in California and the elders of my family were from Michigan. They used the term and I never knew what it was.
    My FIL was born in Michigan and moved to Florida when he was about 16, but he always called it sweet milk. I think it is just an old term from back when this country was mostly an agrarian society.

Anyway, I have heard it all my life. I actually like the taste of buttermilk. I don't drink it often, but I do like a glass occasionally. Never put anything in it though. I may have to try that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2747259;
    aha! someone that knows what sweet milk is. I bet I can guess the others that know it too.
    Who, me?

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2747334;
    Anyway, I have heard it all my life. I actually like the taste of buttermilk. I don't drink it often, but I do like a glass occasionally. Never put anything in it though. I may have to try that.
    I put my cornbread in sweet milk, but lots of people do it with buttermilk. I can't believe you've never done that! Git in there and make yourself some cornbread and try this, but don't use the Jiffy kind. (You know that Jiffy is ok, but it's not real cornbread because it has sugar, and only Nawtherners who don't know better mess up good corn bread that way. )
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2748347;
    I put my cornbread in sweet milk, but lots of people do it with buttermilk. I can't believe you've never done that! Git in there and make yourself some cornbread and try this, but don't use the Jiffy kind. (You know that Jiffy is ok, but it's not real cornbread because it has sugar, and only Nawtherners who don't know better mess up good corn bread that way. )

That's why I don't make cornbread with Jiffy. I do use it for corncakes and muffins though, but I make my cornbread the old fashioned way from scratch in an iron skillet and I sometimes even add cracklin's to it.

I'll have to try it. I even have buttermilk at present, so I could try it both ways.

I do put peanuts in my pepsi, does that count?

Queenb and Unk, I KNEW you two would know what sweet milk was!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2748354;
    I do put peanuts in my pepsi, does that count?
    No because a true southerner only drinks Coke-Cola because it's southern from Atlanta, not New York like Pepsi is. Can I get an amen Queenie? Next thing I know you'll be saying you use a straw in your ice tea.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I like my peanuts in any soda but I prefer Dr. Pepper!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I saw an episode of Unwrapped on the Food Network yesterday about Southern traditions, and they were talking about peanuts in RC Cola. Now, having been born and raised in Texas, I've had them in Coca Cola, but never RC Cola. Hmmm . . . just might have to go to the store and get me some!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

OK, Northerner here...what are you supposed to do with the peanuts after you drank the drink? Eat them? I don't think I'd like soggy sweet peanuts... I do like Coca Cola though!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2748460;
    No because a true southerner only drinks Coke-Cola because it's southern from Atlanta, not New York like Pepsi is. Can I get an amen Queenie? Next thing I know you'll be saying you use a straw in your ice tea.
    Pepsi is Southern too. It was invented in New Bern, NC. It may now be a New York company, but it was first invented in the South, like Coke.

And interestingly enough while they sell both here in SC, most people seem to drink Pepsi and Pepsi sponsors a LOT more stuff then Coke here.

I drink "Co-Cola" (diet co-cola), but if I want the treat of peanuts in my drink, then it has to be in a pepsi as it doesn't taste right in a Coke.

Lois, you eat them as you drink the drink. I haven't had one in years, but back when they all came in glass bottles, you opened the bottle, poured in the packet of salted nuts and as you drank, you'd get nuts and then chew them up.
    It is a treat. The salt and the sweet are an interesting combo.

You're supposed to eat Moon pies with RC cola.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2748720;
    You're supposed to eat Moon pies with RC cola.
    Yep - they showed that part on the show, too . . . but then they made the point about the peanuts and RC Cola.

Interesting thing about the Moon Pies and RC was that they said it was what a lot of workers had for lunch each day, because they could eat lunch for a total of .10 cents. Definately can't get either of them that cheap anymore . . . but I do love a good Moon Pie!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

+ Reply to Thread