+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Comfort Food

MRD

Re: Comfort Food

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2746971;
    We sell mush at the restaurant. A cornmeal mixture that we bake, then slice and deep fry. We sell a lot of it. I had never heard of it until I started working here.
    do they call it cornmeal mush? I've heard of it, but never eaten it, but I would like to try it. Heck, I love cornmeal and I haven't met a fried food I didn't like.

They sell something here called "livermush". Number one it looks NASTY and number two I don't like liver, so I do not think I would ever try it. But I do think it is a combination of liver and cornmeal.
    Supposedly its a food that was something the Scots introduced to this area a couple centuries ago. Those Scots, brave people to eat some of the stuff they do.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2746978;
    do they call it cornmeal mush? I've heard of it, but never eaten it, but I would like to try it. Heck, I love cornmeal and I haven't met a fried food I didn't like.
    Yep. It's a cornmeal, evaporated milk mixture, cooked on the stove top with roux till it's nice and thick. Then we bake it for about 45 minutes, let it cool, slice it and deep fry for a few minutes. Most people use pancake syrup on it.
    Do you eat cornmeal pancakes? Pick up some Jiffy mix and follow the recipe on the side of the box. I think it's a box of mix, an egg, a cup of milk and a little margarine. Good corncakes.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2746982;
    Yep. It's a cornmeal, evaporated milk mixture, cooked on the stove top with roux till it's nice and thick. Then we bake it for about 45 minutes, let it cool, slice it and deep fry for a few minutes. Most people use pancake syrup on it.
    Do you eat cornmeal pancakes? Pick up some Jiffy mix and follow the recipe on the side of the box. I think it's a box of mix, an egg, a cup of milk and a little margarine. Good corncakes.
    Oh boy, you got my number. I love the jiffy mix for a lot of things and I do make the corncakes. I don't eat syrup. Never have, so everyone thinks I'm strange because I eat pancakes, corncakes and waffles with either butter or jelly.

I do tend to make my cornbread from scratch though. Nothing better. But the Jiffy does it in a pinch and makes good muffins too. And I just got 4 boxes for a buck yesterday at the store.

I work at an assisted living facility in the south. A lot of my residents will make a meal out of their cornbread and milk. Another thing my boss had me to make once is gruel. She told me to boil potatoes, don't pour off the water, and then add butter and dried cornmeal. I was ready for all the complaints I was going to get but instead they loved it.
    Some of my residents love fried grits. The first time one of them asked me for fried grits I thought he was crazy. How do you fry grits? But he told me to save the leftover grits and the next day form them into patties and fry. They were pretty good. I love grits anyways.

My comfort foods are tuna fish sandwiches and cottage cheese with season salt on it. My dad always came home for lunch and it seemed whenever I was home sick thats what we'd have for lunch.

MRD

Love fried grits.

OK, so as most of you can see, I love just about anything.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I love cornbread in sweet milk! I also love saltine crackers in sweet milk!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2747257;
    I love cornbread in sweet milk! I also love saltine crackers in sweet milk!
    aha! someone that knows what sweet milk is. I bet I can guess the others that know it too.

Is sweet milk like buttermilk?
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2747269;
    Is sweet milk like buttermilk?
    Nope, its the opposite. Sweet milk is just regular milk.

But I've heard it called "sweet" all my life to distinguish it from buttermilk which is sour.

Oh. Thanks myrosiedog. Born and raised in California and the elders of my family were from Michigan. They used the term and I never knew what it was.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread