+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Comfort Food

Re: Comfort Food

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;2742839;
    Kielbasi and sauerkraut in the crock pot. I'm making some today in preparation for the Steeler game tonight. The smell is heavenly.
    Heavenly is right!! I made a huge vat of that on New Year's Day--complete with dumplings! I am a dumpling fan. TOTALLY. Dumplings are the ultimate comfort food whether they're regular bread dumplings or potato dumplings (with cabbage & bacon!).

Nothing can pry your fanny out of the dumps like dumplings!

And a big shout out to my mom who showed me how to make all of them perfectly, just like her -- without any measurements. I know what they look like and how they're supposed to taste, so I make them that way! It's an odd gift, I guess, but nonetheless, "Thanks Ma!"

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2741318;
    What, you don't have a Bojangles too Queenb?
    Oh I was serious; that was a FULL list for my town!

I don't do saurkraut, but the above post makes me want chicken and dumplings. I won't make that anytime soon, though.
    This week's Monday special will be the collards and blackeyes I didn't get to make for New Year's. L and I went to the hospital at 4 am because he had chest pains and chills (only bronchitis, but he is a heart patient and I am NOT waiting till I'm sure it's CA!) so, I didn't get to pick up my new year foods, and I missed them! So, I'm getting collards, fresh blackeye peas, sweet potatoes, and a couple of other veggies that look good.

Other comfort foods for me include mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, clam or seafood chowder, chicken and dressing, squash casserole, meatloaf--you know, all the homestyle stuff you aren't supposed to eat much of.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;2742839;
    Kielbasi and sauerkraut in the crock pot. I'm making some today in preparation for the Steeler game tonight. The smell is heavenly.
    Love it!

I love it, too. Adding a little brown sugar to the kraut cuts the sourness tremendously...and tastes so much better, even.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by MissNomer;2742854;
    Heavenly is right!! I made a huge vat of that on New Year's Day--complete with dumplings! I am a dumpling fan. TOTALLY. Dumplings are the ultimate comfort food whether they're regular bread dumplings or potato dumplings (with cabbage & bacon!).
    My mom taught me how to make potato dumplings last year, I didn't realize how much work they were. How do you make bread dumplings? Is that with just plain flour?

And I have to say my kielbasa and sauerkraut was delicious, even if the Steeler game left a bad taste in my mouth.

I find if you cook it longer on a lower heat, the sweeter the sauerkraut becomes, so yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;2741331;
    Changs does do take-out. Most restaurants do take-out even if they don't advertise it, you just call and order and go in. For PF Chang's they pack it right in front of you to make sure everything is in the bag.
    All my West Coast friends rave about P.F. Changs. I went to the Aladdin (now the Planet Hollywood resort) in Vegas a few years ago, and couldn't even get into the Changs there, it was so packed/booked. When I returned to Vegas the next year, I stayed at the Luxor, but made a point to stop by Changs just to finally say I ate there. I ate at the bar, but the food was worth the wait.

My comfort foods:
    Spaghetti & marinara sauce
    Rice & peas
    Campbell's tomato soup & bologna sandwiches
    Popcorn chicken
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2743469;

Other comfort foods for me include mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, clam or seafood chowder, chicken and dressing, squash casserole, meatloaf--you know, all the homestyle stuff you aren't supposed to eat much of.

That's why they are so comforting.

Love dumplings, but only the rolled kind and I LOVE potato dumplings. There used to be a mix I bought to make those because they are kind of labor intensive. We used to eat at a great German restaurant and red cabbage and potato dumplings were my favorite. Sadly it is no longer there and neither am I.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;2743697;
    And I have to say my kielbasa and sauerkraut was delicious, even if the Steeler game left a bad taste in my mouth.
    I'm sure your kielbasa and kraut was good but as an avid Browns fan I would have to say that the Steelers loss was much, much sweeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2743924;
    I'm sure your kielbasa and kraut was good but as an avid Browns fan I would have to say that the Steelers loss was much, much sweeter.

Ouch, low blow, Unk. Low blow! :nono

So bread dumplings and potato dumplings? Didn't know there were 2 kinds! I guess the potato ones are in the Campbell's Chunky Soup - Chicken and Dumplings.
    My mom makes the ones with flour - I likened them to tortillas more so than bread. The dough is the same that she'd make tortillas with. So flour, shortening, hot water, salt, and not sure what else. I'll look up recipes and see what i find.

+ Reply to Thread