+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;2149076;
    We're not going anywhere during the holidays, but we're going away in February! Im anxious to go to Florida, where it's much warmer. Anyone have any tips as to where the prettiest beaches there are? Gulf side, OR Atlantic side, doesn't matter.
    Gulf side hands down! Best Beach: Siesta Key in Sarasota. They routinely win the best sand contest (bet you didn't know there was one) every year.
    The beach is wide, has many conveniences and the sand is like white talcum powder.

Lido Beach Also in Sarasota is good.

Then there is Madiera Beach in St. Petersburg

STay away from Ft. Myers beach. It's nasty, and the area to me is not at all nice like the other areas.

Sarasota has a LOT to do when you are not on the beach.

Have fun. Hope its nice and warm when you visit in Feb. That's one of those months where the weather can go both ways. My engagement party was in Feb 18 years ago and the RECORD low that night was 28 and the party was at a friends beach house in Sarasota. The next week, it was in the 80's.

But if you don't like the weather, wait a day or two as it changes quickly.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Rosiedog, don't forget my favorite Florida beash, Sanibel Island. Anyone who loves looking for shells must go here! There's also the Wildlife Refiuge right there, and it should be warm enough for a February vacation there too. Sanibel is more for people who don't need so many man made attractions, like me. There's still good restaurants and so forth there, but not so much entertainment.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I could swear I've posted about this before, but I don't see it here. Anyway, for Thanksgiving I always go to my mom's with my sister, and while we have a large extended family, we don't do Thanksgiving with them. Instead, my mom's friend Rodger comes with an assortment of foreign college students, who attend a local college but are stuck when the dorms close for the holiday. Rodger volunteered to keep some of them several years ago, and now he seems to have some around all the time. This year I think he's bringing two or three Bulgarian boys and at least one Japanese boy -- in the past, we've had a couple of Nigerians, a Romanian, several other Japanese ones, and two or three from India. They've almost all been super-polite, and some come year after year, and between them, Rodger, the three of us and some of Mom's church friends, we get a nice crowd. It's always an educational experience.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

For Thanksgiving this year, I'm cooking. I like cooking for Thanksgiving - IMO, it's the easiest big meal to cook. It plans itself, and provided you follow the directions, it's rather hard to screw it up.
    Shhh . . . you'll blow my big secret. It is the one full-blown meal that I'll prepare each year, and in the years that I've been in relationships, it's scored big brownie points (which I usually squandered in a matter of days, but that's another story ) For the last six years, it's been just the Newfs and me, and that's the way it should be--home with the ones I love best.

That reminds me--time to get cracking on making the cranberry sauce!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2149100;
    For Thanksgiving this year, I'm cooking. I like cooking for Thanksgiving - IMO, it's the easiest big meal to cook. It plans itself, and provided you follow the directions, it's rather hard to screw it up.
    Same here! For years my family thinks I am this kitchen wonder for feeding so many people. What's the biggie? The same tried and true traditional food. Larger turkey, more stuffing, extra pies.
    I am much more intimidated entertaining at other times, trying to think up something tasty and interesting.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I'll be doing my own special Thanksgiving tradition - Chinese food. My kids all go to my mom's in Ohio with my whole extended family, but our contract doesn't allow us to take off before a major holiday. It doesn't make sense to cook turkey for one, a frozen dinner is just too sad, so I started the Chinese food tradition and many of my students envy me.
    Count your blessings!

Here is a Turkey recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a stuffing
    - imagine that...

When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people like me, who
    just are not sure how to tell when poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not
    dried out. Give this a try.

BAKED STUFFED Turkey
    8-13 lb. Turkey
    1 cup melted butter
    1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is good.)
    1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT) Salt/pepper to
    taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush turkey well with melted butter, salt, and
    pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan with the
    neck end toward the back of the oven.

Listen for the popping sounds. When the turkey's ass blows the oven door
    open and the turkey flies across the room, it's done.

And, you thought I couldn't cook.........
    Go Tigers!

That recipe looks good snoopy.

I hope you all a Happy Thanksgiving and great turkey dinners.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Happy Thanksgiving to all my fort friends. I hope you all have a wonderful day filled with love, laughter, and family
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2149492;
    Rosiedog, don't forget my favorite Florida beash, Sanibel Island. Anyone who loves looking for shells must go here! There's also the Wildlife Refiuge right there, and it should be warm enough for a February vacation there too. Sanibel is more for people who don't need so many man made attractions, like me. There's still good restaurants and so forth there, but not so much entertainment.
    I love Sanibel Island too, queenb. Was there with my sister about 5 years ago. The shells truly are unbelievable.........We stayed in a large 2 bedroom beautiful condo on the beach for only $100 a night. It could sleep around 10 people. We stayed at the beach most of the day and I still have the shells I picked up along the shoreline.

Angelic one-Pack in your groceries, the store is a little pricey. Maybe stop in Ft Myers before crossing the bridge.

Have a Blessed Thanksgiving wherever you are!
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast