+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Nothing like leftovers the day after...

Quote Originally Posted by dfleming2
    Broadway, to answer your question, our Thanksgiving has nothing to do with pilgrims... although at the daycare I work at, quite often staff members will think up activities with pilgrims related to Thanksgiving, and it drives me crazy, cause they're getting it from an American resource

Our Thanksgiving is simply about giving thanks for all the things that you have been given. (At least that's what I think it was all about... if there's another reason, feel free to let me know!)
    thanks, dflem.

http://www.web-holidays.com/canada/

Thanksgiving in Canada
    In Canada, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday in October. Unlike the American tradition of remembering Pilgrims and settling in the New World, Canadians give thanks for a successful harvest. The harvest season falls earlier in Canada compared to the United States due to the simple fact that Canada is further north.

Harvest celebrations have been around a long time. Ever since the very first harvest, about 2,000 years ago, people have given thanks for a prosperous bounty. The first formal Canadian Thanksgiving was held just over 40 years prior to the pilgrims landing in Massachusetts. An English explorer named Martin Frobisher had been trying to find a northern passage to the Orient. He did not succeed but he did establish a settlement in Northern America and he did celebrate a harvest feast. This is considered the first Canadian Thanksgiving.

In 1957, Parliament announced that on the second Monday in October that Thanksgiving would be "a day of general thanksgiving to almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed."

During the American Revolution, Americans who remained loyal to England moved to Canada where they brought the customs and practices of the American Thanksgiving to Canada. There are many similarities between the two Thanksgivings such as the cornucopia and the pumpkin pie. According to one Canadian resource, the Canadian table usually features venison and waterfowl. Another source says that turkey and ham is the featured food. Conversely, a third source adamantly stated that when he was young "wild duck/goose was always served for Thanksgiving and, if they were fortunate venison as well! This was a common practice in that area at that time."
    Very cool... I learn something new every day on here.

Happy Thanksgiving...........I can hardly wait for Turkey dinner!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.... It is fast approaching in the US too....

bjb

Happy Thanksgiving, Canada!

Or, preferez-vous, if you live in Quebec, gorge yourselves on poutine and barbecue chicken for me!

phat!

Some of us still eat turkey, ham and roast beef on Thanksgiving, you know?

I'm still very thankful for delicious poutine, of course!

I hope everyone had a nice day today, I sure did.

FORT Fogey
    Wow- I don't know a thing about Canadian holidays. I thought someone was just getting a bit ahead of themselves. Thanks for the link Broadway- it was quite informative!

Happy Thanksgiving all you Canadians!

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Actually that link is a bit weird , as I can't recall ever meeting anyone who serves "venison" on Thanksgiving . Maybe it's just that I live in the southern part of Canada
    Turkey, Duck and Ham are the usual fare. Poutine is an anyday thing eh ...

Happy Turkey day....

Happy Thanksgiving to our northern neighbors.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, nothing special for me today except a day off. I will be celebrating it with my Aunt/Uncle and cousins next Sunday. That day we eat Turkey, play corny but fun family games and I go in net for some Thanksgiving Hockey. I just have to find a way to incorporate some poutine into it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast