Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Dog Owners

Question for Dog Owners

How much do you pay to:

1. Get yearly shots
    2. Get your dog's teeth cleaned
    3. Grooming services

Thanks!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

How much do you pay to:

1. Get yearly shots........... $25- $35.. this varies because my dog is on Phenobarb for seizures.. so I have other tests done.. but I pay somewhere around this for her rabies vaccination every year.
    2. Get your dog's teeth cleaned $100.. did this one time.. and my dog had to be sedated because of her seizures. I would never pay this price ever again. I think some of the vets overcharge for some of their services.. and this is one in my opinion.
    3. Grooming services Used to do this every six weeks. My groomer charged me $25 to bathe, flea dip, groom, cut toenails, and decorated my poodle in little hair bows and bandanas.. I now do all of my dogs grooming.

We take our dog in yearly for her checkup and shots, and it's usually $120-150 or so. I can't answer the other 2 because we do them ourselves.

We also have our dog on Deramaxx for her arthritis, which is a wonder-drug. That runs us around $65/month.

I have a 15 year old shih-tzu who was suddenly starting to forget things (like going outside to potty, being scared for no reason, etc) occassionally, and we put him on a wonder drug called Anipryl, which is for doggy alzheimers and works in about 70% of dogs. It's like he went back to being 6 years old, except for the deaf part. It's expensive though, around $60 a month. Totally worth it though.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    We also have our dog on Deramaxx for her arthritis, which is a wonder-drug. That runs us around $65/month.
    I so wish I had that for my dog when he was alive, but back then (over 10 years ago) they didn't any good options for doggie arthritis.

We have two dogs, a 4 year old lhasa apso and a 7 year old beagle mix. We pay about $50 per dog for their yearly booster shots, and $30 a month for heartworm medication (which they should be taken off of by now)

Grooming is an issue for the lhasa only. She gets a puppy cut, bath, and nail clip for $50 or so, plus a tip.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I read somewhere that yearly vaccinations for animals is actually unnecessary - can anyone substantiate that? I stopped taking my cat for annual needles ages ago because she's a housecat that never goes outside, and it seemed stupid to take her for yearly shots. But maybe it's different for dogs? When I owned dogs I took them for annual checkups and shots religiously.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

You should keep your cats shots up to date too AJ... we take our cat each year for her destemper and rabies. Shes a housecat but we live in the country and she goes around checking the neighborhood out. Also I think our vet recommend most of it because of feline leukemia, but I could be wrong on that one.

I think they are necessary, as well. Better safe than sorry! My dog is still well at 15 years old so it can't hurt. We also have to get our dog bordotello (sp?) which protects them from the "kennel cough", an illness pets can get when they are boarded if you go on vacation.

SHOTS: $50 or so. Some shots are $22, some are $18.. it adds up.

TEETH: $150 because he needs to be put under. The vet likes to do bloodwork before just to make sure everything is okay for anesthesia. I have this done every two years.

GROOMING: I do it myself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast