+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reston Virginia anyone?

Reston Virginia anyone?

Husband is possibly landing a job in Reston Virginia and we just can't pass it up. I don't know a single soul on that entire side of the US so we would be flying by the seat of our pants. Any tips or tricks or advice is appreciated

Thanks a million!
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

I'd love to live right outside of Washington DC. Expennnnnnnsive, but gorgeous!

Are you looking for advice strictly on the area, or on moving across country in general? Where are you moving from?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I live a couple of hours south of the D.C. area, Ginger. I know Northern Virginia, where Reston is, has a booming economy, is expensive to live in, but is also a bustling, happening area of the state. Reston should have good schools. Traffic up there is a problem -- it's such a booming area that the roads haven't kept up.
    Virginia's a great state, though. We have relatively low taxes, lots of history, and you're not more than a few hours from the beach or the mountains.
    If you tell us more specific questions, we might be able to give you better answers.
    I do know there are several members here who, unlike me, live in Northern Virginia and might be better able to advise you.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Lucy... why did I think you were in Boston??? :/
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I don't know, Broadway. I did visit there this summer.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Reston, VA is wonderful (but yes, VERY pricey).

Tips: if you want a house, you'll probably want to live farther West and commute (though the traffic around here is atrocious). The housing market in this area in the last 5 years has become absolute lunacy.

If you own a stick shift car, get rid of it (too much traffic to not have an automatic)

Try renting for at least 6 months because there are so many different areas to investigate and you'll want to get a good sense of the area before buying.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Thanks for all the advice!

We are moving from Houston TX, we have only been here for three months originally from Las Vegas.

We would probably want to rent for a while, I doubt we would even want to buy in that area since its so expensive! I think the plan is to finish out the contract and save up to relocate to a more "reasonable" area like Oregon or North Carolina.

He will be working in Reston with some commuting to DC, from what I gather townhomes are the rentals of choice there? We would be interested in nice daycares in the Reston area and the general areas of Reston (or Vienna or Herndon?) that are relatively crime free?

Do townhome rentals typically include the appliances? I understand there is a Metro train from Virginia to DC? Where is that?

Thanks again for all the advice!!
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

Ah, you'll be needing Bravo or another local for most of those questions, Ginger. But I do know the Metro goes out to at least Vienna -- I've taken it from there. Here's a link to a Metro map: http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm
    Vienna's on the Orange line. In some areas, there are also commuter trains that go further out -- for instance, you can take the VRE train into D.C. from as far away as Fredericksburg, an hour south. It doesn't go by Vienna, though.
    Anyway, that's about the extent of my knowledge. Good luck.

I used to live in Sterling VA, right next to Reston, and you'll probably visit the Dulles Town-center there a few times (a pretty decent sized mall)... What a great area to live in.. I was going through a rough time, and even still it had everything! the area is wonderful, the only complaint I had was that alot of the townhouses and stuff, all looked the same, so you'd go down a street and see the same house 50 times.. but me, I love orginality, so thats probably just me... great area though.. I don't doubt it was pricey and still is most likely, but you are in a great area.... Fact is, when it costs more to live in a place, you get paid more generally... I'd strongly consider looking in Tyson's Corner, Sterling, and Reston itself as well for other Jobs if feel like you could use one as well.. lots of great opportunities there as well! you are in an excellent area for good jobs... if you have any specific questions, I could probably tell you a good deal of stuff....
    Big Brother 16: The Alliance - Come See the Fun in the Big Brother Forum!

+ Reply to Thread