+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Endoscopy anyone?

Endoscopy anyone?

Just told I have to have an upper endoscopy on Friday.

What's it like?

I know they stick that tubey camera down your throat to see stuff.

I don't really want it done. I have been having bad cramps for a while, and haven't eaten in over a week (save for some broth tonight and water). I did end up in the ER badly dehydrated.

I'm thinking just a real bad stomach virus, but want to make sure.

Been out of work this whole week (and a couple last) which I feel bad about, Although I want to be let go, not necesarrily fired.

Had blood tests, urine tests (which showed starvation ketosis from not eating) and everything normal.

So, although I'm having these tests, anyone have a case of a bad stomach virus that lasted over a week? I've had the stomach flu once this year, but it only lasted three days.

And should I be afraid of the endoscopy and go through it anyway just to make sure nothing is more seriously wrong then a bug?

Thanks, I've never felt so sick, and I'm normally a VERY healthy person, so just want to get some opinions. And do not say stress, it's not that. I've worked in oncology for 3-4 years, and last year having to deal with starting a grad program, looking for a job, getting one in transplant and dealing with my cat dying would have been when stress symptoms would have started, not now when I'm happy, have a job, getting straight A's in school, and hanging out with a great group of friends.

Looking forward to a: your experiences with an endoscopy and B. armchair diagnosis

My ex hubby had that done, they put you to sleep and run a tube that acts like a camera down your throat. They view your stomach for ulcers and any other digestive tract problems. He had a slight sore throat afterwards. They did it in the afternoon and an adult has to drive you home afterwards, being that you were sedated. You could have an ulcer, peptic ulcer. I have never known an stomach virus lasting as long as a week. Good luck and you are in my prayers. If you need to talk.. send me a private message.

Having been through some major colon surgery last year, all I have to add is your health is nothing to play games with. I should have stayed on top of my situation and had it taken care of much sooner. Good luck.

I had one done. Nothing to it.
    They give you something to gargle that slightly deadens the sensation in your throat, but you can swallow easily. Then they give you a medication that makes you a little drowsy, but you're still awake. It's over in a flash and I never felt a thing except for a faint sensation of the tube coming out. I didn't even have a sore throat afterward.
    Now a colonoscopy ... that's another matter.
    I'm not going to diagnose your symptoms, but I do know that acupuncture works wonders for stress and anxiety. I highly recommend it, along with regular medical treatment.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I've never done this but as for part "B"... you know of course that there is really no such thing as a 'stomach virus'; that term usually means mild food poisoning! (I know some will beg to differ, but ask your doc. the terms "stomach virus" and "stomach flu" are only used because those are the terms many people use at home. Neither viruses nor the flu affect your stomach.) You could have anything from stress, to some very serious problems and with all due respect, I hope you won't allow your online friends to make you feel TOO confident!
    Really, you definately need to keep that appointment, do NOT talk yourself out of going. And I'm sorry to sound so negative, but this is one of those times you need to let experts do their thing. I'm sure they will make it as comfortable as possible for you.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Your illness seems to be quite a bit more severe than what I just went through and I would definitely go through with your endoscopy. Just as Unklescott said, don't play around with your health. Here is what I went through just in case anyone else has something similar to mine. Good luck with your test!

I was sick for 11 days with some kind of virus. I couldn't eat, if I did it went straight through me and I didn't dare get very far from a bathroom. Weird thing is I only felt horrible for about 4 of those days. You know fever, chills and aching. The rest of the time was like I had taken a whole box of Ex-lax, but no fever or anything else. Just constantly having to stay close to a bathroom. I had to take my son to the doctor (Strep Throat) and I mentioned to the doc about my symptoms. He said to take Mylanta for a few days, if the symptoms don't stop, then add in aspirin. If after a few days it still hasn't stopped, get back to him. Fortunately, the Mylanta took care of it. The other weird thing was I (fortunately) didn't pass it on to anyone else in my family. The strangest sickness I have ever had. One good thing did come from it though, I lost 7 pounds!! Now that I feel better, lets see if they stay off!
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

Feel better, Glitter!
    (I hope it wasn't that green chile I sent you last year!)

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by candor
    I had one done. Nothing to it.
    They give you something to gargle that slightly deadens the sensation in your throat, but you can swallow easily. Then they give you a medication that makes you a little drowsy, but you're still awake. It's over in a flash and I never felt a thing except for a faint sensation of the tube coming out. I didn't even have a sore throat afterward.
    I'm feeling really ripped off here. No put to sleep for me or nice drowsy pills That might be why it was uncomfortable for me. The liquid stuff was gross and made me gag, so I knew it was gonna be a fun time. They also stuck that tube down my throat while I was sipping water thru a straw. Like I am not noticing you nice nurse lady sticking a tube down my throat...maybe if it was a large double rum and coke I may not have cared. Oh well I lived and didn't vomit so I guess it is just another medical invasive procedure. Hopefully nothing too serious for you Glitter. But if this little baby lived thru it I am sure you can get thru it too. May I recommend rolling your eyes to the ceiling? The nurses always get a kick out of my antics, and say I've never had a patient do THAT before. (I may probably be in a book someday with the methods I used while delivering my son too )

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Hi Glitter,

My son had one done. He didn't get any sedation because it was sort of an emergency situation. He said the tube going down was not too bad and when they took it out, it wasn't bad at all. While it was in he didn't think about it too much because he convinced the doctor to look at the second scope so he could see what the doctor saw. My son says to insist on that if you can..."one should never miss a prime opportunity to look at their stomach lining" You will do fine, Glitter. The whole procedure doesn't take much time and if you think of something else, you can do anything for a short period of time. This is what I tell myself EVERY time I go to my dentist or oral surgeon!!

Don't chicken out...this probably will show something minor but you really need to find out. Listen to your doctors. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted. I hope they can figure this out so you will be feeling better soon.
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    Having been through some major colon surgery last year, all I have to add is your health is nothing to play games with. I should have stayed on top of my situation and had it taken care of much sooner. Good luck.
    Unk. and I had a chat about this last year, I had colon trouble two years ago and a collapsed bowel last year (thats not fun) me, I 'd tell the doc, if you think that tube is going in me while I'm awake your outta your freaking mind.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast