+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: What unselfish thing has someone done for you?

It was just a little thing, but sometimes they mean a lot... I took my son to the mall today and there were not a lot of parking spaces. I found one car about to pull out so I put on my turn signal and waited back a respectful distance. As she was pulling out, a car from across the road saw her and tore across traffic into the lot and would have taken the space before me, but the lady leaving stopped and blocked him with her car while I pulled in. Ha!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by applesauce
    I should also add that he has done ALL the cooking and cleaning for the past month since I have been so miserable. I feel especially guilty because he hasn't complained once. He is truly the best husband.
    Does he have an older, unmarried brother?

Premium Member
    A long time ago when I was just out of college and living on my own for the first time, I was driving to work one morning when my car broke down on a very busy street. I walked to a nearby pay phone and called a service station for help (it would be years before cell phones were invented) . The gentleman who came to help me gave me a ride to work, took care of my car, then at the end of my shift came back to the hospital and picked me up and took me back to my car. As it turned out all I needed was a new battery... he only charged me for the battery and nothing else. He also gave me his number and told me to call him if I ever needed help again. It was really scary being stranded and alone in a new town and having no choice but to trust a total stranger.. but he told me he had a daughter my age and he just hoped that if she ever needed help someone would do the same for her.

Marleybone - as nice as that story is, are you sure it is wise to get into cars with strangers? All's well that ends well, but do be cautious.
    Count your blessings!

Premium Member
    Yeah, no kidding! You are so right, but that happened 25 years ago. The one smart thing I did when going out on my own was getting a AAA membership for roadside assistance. The guy was a tow truck driver that they sent out.. and it is not uncommon around here for the tow truck driver to give you a ride if you have no other transportation. Otherwise I would have never gotten in a car with a stranger. This guy just did a lot of extra for me that he didn't have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    A long time ago when I was just out of college and living on my own for the first time, I was driving to work one morning when my car broke down on a very busy street. ... It was really scary being stranded and alone in a new town and having no choice but to trust a total stranger.. but he told me he had a daughter my age and he just hoped that if she ever needed help someone would do the same for her.
    Your story reminded me of one of mine, Marley. Several years ago when I was in college and had (my very first) new car, I was getting ready to drive it four hours home for the first time and decided that, being a responsible new-car owner, I should check the oil. I stopped at a gas station propped up the hood on the little hood-propper stick thingy, and was checking the oil as a family went past me to go into the gas station store. The father asked if I needed help, but I waved him on as if I knew what I was doing. Then, oil checked, I slammed the hood down. Only problem was, I'd forgotten to take out the hood-propper thingy (the car I'd driven before didn't have one). That hood, all of a month old, crumpled. Right then the man and his family came back out, and I just looked at him and said, "I broke it!" and started to cry. He straightened it out enough for it to latch, and offered to let me follow them in case it unlatched and flew up into my windshield, but I was going the opposite direction. But still, it was really nice of him to stop and help.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    ...the little hood-propper stick thingy
    I swear I have tears rolling down my cheeks. Your description of things sometimes just tickles the crapola out of me. Have I told you lately I love you Lucy?

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    I swear I have tears rolling down my cheeks. Your description of things sometimes just tickles the crapola out of me. Have I told you lately I love you Lucy?
    No, you hadn't. And I'm thinking activities relating to your sig line are prompting you to do so now.
    But you knew what I was talking about, didn't you?
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    No, you hadn't. And I'm thinking activities relating to your sig line are prompting you to do so now.
    But you knew what I was talking about, didn't you?
    Stone cold sober right now. You just crack me up though. Yes, I knew exactly what you were talking about.

Premium Member
    Lucy, I knew what you were talking about, I talk like that too. A couple of years ago I was helping a friend strip and refinish the woodwork in her living room. The spindles in the stairway railing will be forever known as "stick-like thingys".

+ Reply to Thread