+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: What unselfish thing has someone done for you?

What a great experience!

My mom left for a 5-6 month visit with my (less worthy ) sisters. At eighty she should be depending on us, but even with families of our own, we still count on her for so many things. I'm 46 and when I'm not feeling well or upset about something she's the first person I want to call to make it all better; and she does.

The funny thing is that my mom is not one of those touchy feely moms but she gave me the gifts of creativity and autonomy. One of my sisters always complains about what a rotten mother she was, but I don't see it that way. She taught us to sew and we had to sew our own clothes. Well, that has come in handy. She would let us go off the entire day without checking in and we are certainly independent. At 17 I was allowed to graduate early and go off to college out west where I didn't know anyone. I remember painting with oil paints in grade school on the back porch. I remember her flooding the same back porch in winter so we could have a skating rink. She flies all over the world in spite of my dad having Alzheimers and the flak she gets from my sisters for leaving him behind with help. She can say hurtful things in her honesty, but she never hides her feelings or acts submissively. Go figure. It takes all kinds.
    Count your blessings!

ok .. this is pretty superficial in comparison to the above .. but I'm gonna tell you anyway LOL

A couple of days ago I bid on 2 eBay auctions (same seller) - stocking stuffers for my daughter, I won one but forgot about the other one - the one I really wanted, of course. I emailed the seller to whine and ask if she had anymore because I really wanted them. She emailed me back that of the 3 items I'd won, she couldn't find one so she was sending me the other lot of 4 that I so desperately wanted as well .. at no extra charge - not even for shipping. I know this could be put down to just plain old good customer service but the seller really did go above and beyond what I could have rightfully expected of her.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

this was something I needed to add for those of you who may find yourselves in the same positon as Canadian Bunny regarding vet bills. Here in the Vancouver area, many vets have a list of societies that will help with your vet bills. All you have to do is phone each of these groups and they will contribute, usually about $50.00 each. They ask that you donate to them in the future when you are able. I was with one group for 11 years and we got calls all the time. We would also tell the callers the numbers of the other groups that would help them.
    So live that anyone speaking ill of you is branded a liar

Wonderful story, spegs...and dagwood, you are so right..there is noone like a MOM!
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

Quote Originally Posted by val123elephant
    this was something I needed to add for those of you who may find yourselves in the same positon as Canadian Bunny regarding vet bills. Here in the Vancouver area, many vets have a list of societies that will help with your vet bills. All you have to do is phone each of these groups and they will contribute, usually about $50.00 each. They ask that you donate to them in the future when you are able. I was with one group for 11 years and we got calls all the time. We would also tell the callers the numbers of the other groups that would help them.
    Thanks for the information Val! My doggie has an appointment January 11th for bloodwork and a follow up from her previous stay in the hospital. I will ask the vet if we have the same thing in Ontario, that you have in Vancouver. I know that would been very helpful to us a few weeks ago, when we were making a really tough decision with our baby girl.

I think the most unselfish thing anyone has ever done for me, was to FORGIVE me for saying mean things against her when I was in a different State.

Not only that, but when I was getting pummeled by the masses, she alone came to me defense, to put her arms around me.

That has to be about the most loving and unselfish thing I could think of. And it`s not wrapped with pretty paper or bows, but was more valuable than any gift I`ve ever gotten.

So thank you dear Belvasgirl for inviting me over here to this site, where rules are followed and there`s a big brother WATCHING over his board.

This happened to be my first and best Christmas present I`ve gotten so far!! It also cost A LOT for this person.
    Last edited by Jillibean; 12-19-2004 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jillibean
    I think the most unselfish thing anyone has ever done for me, was to FORGIVE me for saying mean things against her when I was in a different State.

Not only that, but when I was getting pummeled by the masses, she alone came to me defense, to put her arms around me.

That has to be about the most loving and unselfish thing I could think of. And it`s not wrapped with pretty paper or bows, but was more valuable than any gift I`ve ever gotten.

So thank you dear Belvasgirl for inviting me over here to this site, where rules are followed and there`s a big brother WATCHING over his board.

This happened to be my first and best Christmas present I`ve gotten so far!! It also cost A LOT for this person.

Thas was one of the most beautiful things anyone has ever said. Thank you Jillibean! The FORT is the most classy, "Golden Rule" board I have ever posted on, and I feel honored to be a member here. I LOVE the fact that part of the rules is first the rules are followed! I love that it is an intelligent place where they insist on proper grammer, no "lingo", that it absolutely does not condone bashing and has an administrator that not only promotes freedom of speech, but insists it is done in a kind and intelligent way. I love that it is a PG-13 site where my niece can come and enjoy herself. That is why I wanted to bring my best friend I ever had on or off a message board to be a part of it. I am truly blessed and as you can all tell by now that Jillibean is my best friend. It shows that "The Golden Rule" is the way to live, and we are both grateful for the Fort and it's insistance of following all rules!

Sorry I got away from the topic a bit, but I suppose what it comes down to is the most unselfish thing anyone has done for me is to help me find what true friendship means.
    Last edited by Belvasgirl; 12-20-2004 at 12:13 PM.
    There is nothing greater than a true friend.

My daughter does things for me every day. She'll make me a cup of tea, or warm up the car for me in the morning, or bake cookies for her brother when he's in a bad mood so the rest of us can live with him. She does so many small things it is easy to overlook. She's 13 and I teach kids her age every day who are so self-centered it makes me appreciate her even more. I love you, Blue.
    Count your blessings!

mr. applesauce has currently taken lil' apple out to 7 stores to finish up the odds and ends of our Christmas list. I've been extra blah and sick with my preganancy and my son has been sick as well so we are at home resting while my husband and daughter do the shopping.

I should also add that he has done ALL the cooking and cleaning for the past month since I have been so miserable. I feel especially guilty because he hasn't complained once. He is truly the best husband.

+ Reply to Thread