+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: What unselfish thing has someone done for you?

to answer the thread's original question, i think much has been done for me unselfishly .........but at the same time done quiety so there would be no way for me to know. which reminds me, i should say a prayer of thanks for all that has been done for me unselfishly. so to those that did for me unselfishly, you know who you are, thank you, and thank you to God for those people, please Bless them

A story from the grocery store today, which makes me want to be a better person:

I was standing in line at the checkout with my cart overflowing wuth crap and two whiny children, feeling grinchy. I noticed a (very) elderly woman in the line next to me who was having trouble. The checker was asking her if she had another way to pay, and explaining that card she was trying to use wasn't working. The poor elderly woman was all flustered and having a hard time understanding. What am I thinking to myself: "Whew! I picked the right line!"

Then the woman in line behind the elderly woman stepped up and ran her own credit card through. "Merry Christmas," she told the flustered woman with a kind smile. The checker got all misty, and the bagger was suddenly nicer to the old woman and insisted on helping her to her car.

And I stood there wishing that had been my first impulse, rather than being selfishly glad that I was in a faster line. It was such a great experience, though, even just to watch. Hopefully I will be better about noticing opportunities like that.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Thanks for sharing that, spegs. Great story! You know, I think I would have had the same reaction as you -- glad I was in a different line because my luck is that I always end up in the slow lane. What a wonderful gesture that woman did! That will make me think twice about my own selfish reactions to things from now on.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing that wonderful story spegs. I, like you and Charlie, would have had the same response of thankfulness that I was not in that line. What a great gesture from that woman I'm sure the elderly woman was extremely thankful.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Charlie, you can find me right behind you in the slowest line in the store. Spegs, thanks so much for sharing your story......what a wonderful act of kindness! You can bet the elderly woman will be talking for quite some time about the kindness of a stranger. Don't beat yourself up about not thinking of it yourself. Everyone who has ever stood in line with a full cart, and whiny kids, knows all too well, you can't possibly be thinking about anything other than getting out of that store ASAP.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Spegs, thank you so much for sharing that! I'm in happy tears right now about it even. I know it wouldn't have been in my thoughts to do that either, I'd have been probably tapping my foot anxiously and breathing a sigh of relief that I wasn't the cashier or the person behind her. It really does give me something to think about now though, and hopefully I can be more willing to help out those that might need it instead of just trying to get my own stuff done.

Spegs, that is a GREAT story. I'm almost teary-eyed myself.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Spegs.. Thank you for sharing that story with us. My heart was lightened at the random act of kindness shown by this person who bought this elderly ladies groceries. I dont think I would had thought of that either, and makes me kind of ashamed that I would had been so impatient.

My mom did some pretty unselfish things this past week. When I was diagnosed with my cellulitis she took me and my daughter home with her and waited on me hand and foot so I could stay down with my foot in the air. When we went to the ER I asked to borrow the money for the co-pay...she said she would just pay for it all. Then when we came home with the IV still in, she put the antibiotics in the IV every 8 hours. She bought me a new coat, too...just because I said my coat was ugly. To top it off, she decided she needed to clean my house top to bottom before I could come home.

Gotta love moms.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Dag, that IS wonderful. Like yours, my mom constantly does unselfish things for me, and yet when I see this thread I only think of things done by non-relatives. I'm glad your mother was there to take care of you.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread