+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: What unselfish thing has someone done for you?

Canuk, the past two Christmases "Santa" has put gifts in my truck while I was at work. Mostly they were for my daughter, but there was always one in there for me. I am a single mom living paycheck to paycheck so it meant alot. I know how you feel. I just hope that I can get into a better financial situation so I can play Santa for someone else.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

Do-Gooders... where would we be without them?

This happened to me just this morning. I was up late at work doing the closing shift. I was hanging some wine glasses, when one dropped, and cut my hand. And well, I won't go into the details, but I was surprised how everybody at work, helped out.

Our transport who usually drives the late night shift people home, drove me to the hospital, 4 collegues came along. I think it was really nice, I really didn't expect them to tag along. They waited with me. Hospitals being hospitals waiting period was crazy... I arrived around 2am.... didn't get my stitches till around 4am. But they all waited, them trying to like "comfort" me, just kept me company. After that, it was raining so we all hung out at the hospital :rolleyes we just sat there and chatted. My manager called up at 5am, told me (since the doctor said I couldn't work for 5 days) my manager informed me, that I would get five days MC (and I'm still getting paid ) and that I won't have to worry about medical expenses bla bla bla.

What I just found really kind, or what "unselfish things" that my collegues did, was that they were starting at 11am the next day, but they sat with me, chat with me, and was jsut there for me.

I only now realize, sometimes who true friends and people who care.

Anyhow...my little story

Thank you, dberk, for starting this thread. It's started my day off right, and reminded me that, with Christmas coming up soon, I need to look for a place to use my Secret Santa suit.

Here's a story of mine: Two years ago I broke my arm while I was 8 months pregnant (I'm klutzy even when I'm not that awkwardly balanced). The arm was broken really badly (snapped my humorous bone in two) but they couldn't cast it because of the location and my ginormous belly. So I was completely immobilized.

My mom was really great and my church was awesome. I didn't have to worry about dinner or cleaning or my two other children (1 and 5). But there was this one woman from my church, who I wasn't even that close to, who just went above and beyond the already above and beyond. She always wanted more to do. She did all those personal things that were impossible--she washed my hair (and styled it--she was a former hair dresser), she shaved my legs and painted my toenails, and she organized all the things for my coming baby that were still undone. It was a horrible time for me, but all the love everyone showed me meant so much.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

All your stories are just lovely, and I'm glad you all shared them. It really is true that when bad things happen to good people, it gives those around you a chance to return favors and allow others to fuss over you. I'm glad your friends were able to show how much they care about each of you. Spegs, I broke my arm when I was single (and no kids), and thought that was bad....I can't imagine being a mother of two, and pregnant, with a broken arm...ack!

What an uplifting thread...I haven't been here in a while, but will keep checking in every once in a while just to have my faith in people restored.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Well someone did a really nice thing for me recently. Eldee asked me my address. A few days later she sent a package of really cute Christmas cookie cutters for my grandson. I thought that was such a sweet gesture and I will think of her as we make cookies for years to come.

Blue cool~~ Glad to hear that you are doing better after getting your stitches and I am also glad they are paying you for your time off. Its nice to know that there are people who were there for you when you needed friends, even though they had to be at work the next morning. That is definitely a true friend.

Spegs~~ Your story was very touching too. Its funny how the people we care less about really do more for you in a crisis. Your friend washing and styling your hair, painting your toenails, etc is definitely a gem. Those kind of friends are very rare and hard to find anymore in todays world.

Muduh~~ I am so glad Eldee mailed you those Christmas cookie cutters for your grandson. She is a darling of a person and that just shows how thoughtful she is. What a lovely story you shared with us too. Thanks.

Dberk~~ Thanks for creating this thread.. it really does uplift you when you are feeling down. It is nice to know that there are still some Good Samaritans out there to help you through the troublesome times in life.

I have to tell you my story about our Vet.This past Friday, I had to take my miniature poodle to the vet because she had been lying around and not being herself for two days and stopped eating on Friday, so I knew I needed to make a vet appointment to find out what was going on. That afternoon, after they did tests, they found out her liver was shutting down. They took me to a room and talked with me and cried with me as I was deciding what I had to do for my baby. The vet had quoted some prices for her hospital stay, and I knew they were not in my means of finances. I asked them to work some kind of payment arrangement with me because I wanted to do the best I could for my poodle. Not only did the vet work out a payment plan, he reduced the price of lab works, medicines, tests, etc to make it easier for us to afford. I thanked him and his staff for all the love and concern shown to us during this difficult weekend.

CB, I am so glad your vet was willing and able to work with you. Sorry your poor baby had to go to the vet's, but it's nice to know they truly care about animals and their humans.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

CB my prayers are with you during this time. Our animals are family.
    Your vet and his staff put their hearts out there for your animal and for you.
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

+ Reply to Thread