+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: What unselfish thing has someone done for you?

My boss recently decided to retire. I've worked for him the last 13 years. In looking for another job (to start Jan 1, 05), I've really thought about what I'm looking for in a boss. I don't know if I will ever find another one like him. He has over the years given my family turkeys, hams, gift certificates for the grocery store. He gave me a raise when I was buying a car so I could afford the payments (it was his wife's car). He is paying for me to take a cruise that includes 1/2 of my continuing education credits (and he will already be retired). I realize that reading this you might assume that there must be some kind of payoff involved. But, I am happy to say, he does things like this for a lot of people, and never expects anything in return. He and his wife were childhood sweethearts and have been married going on 47 years! I am hopeful that my next job will be as wonderful as this one has been. PS-I am nominating him for sainthood!!

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Famita, once again you have me gushing.....

My friend recently changed all of my locks for me at my house and unbeknownst to me, while there, folded some towels I had in the dryer and also cleaned my oven....didn't find it until several days later when I used it again and it looked sparkly new.....

Why would one even stop to peek inside an oven might you ask? Neurotic much? No, because I had asked the same friend to remove some chicken that I was baking after I left for work and I guess they thought I could use a little extra help around the house. Little things mean a lot to me.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

I am getting my oil changed at church tomorrow for free. They have a once a year ministry where they repair cars for single women or widows.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

All these stories are heartwarming, but Dagwood -- that rocks. I wish my mother's church did that. She's widowed, and while I think she has a trustworthy mechanic, I wouldn't mind knowing someone knowledgeable was following up to make sure. Especially on repairs that she and I have done, like changing the car battery. We thought we'd blow ourselves up for sure.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

well...it happened recently...
    i was shopping for a jacket with my friends and came across this peach colored cardigan in topshop...
    but i was $9 bucks short...so my friends started to dig out whatever coins they are left with .(we teens do not carry cards around and to make matter worse...we just finished buffet at some japanese restaurant...so we're like...almost penniless)
    it's really heartwarming to see my friends so frantically dig out money for me...i was planning to buy tat another day...but my friends refuse to let me leave the place disappointed
    it's really very very nice of them..simple gesture like this really warms my heart
    each time one loves is the only time one ever love...differences of object merely intensify the passion

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    All these stories are heartwarming, but Dagwood -- that rocks. I wish my mother's church did that. She's widowed, and while I think she has a trustworthy mechanic, I wouldn't mind knowing someone knowledgeable was following up to make sure. Especially on repairs that she and I have done, like changing the car battery. We thought we'd blow ourselves up for sure.
    It is great. The best part is that it is at no cost to us. Too bad it is only once a year.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I can't decide whether I'm just more conscience of it now or if there are an inordinate amount of do-gooders out there. Perhaps I've become such a pitiful soul that they are drawn to me. For whatever reason I'm grateful.

This past week I battled with bronchitis. I was completely miserable, but couldn't afford to take off from work. When I went to see my doctor to get the official diagnosis, he offered to give me antibiotic samples so I wouldn't have to worry about paying for medicine. I never even had to ask him. Considering the number of patients he has; for him to remember my circumstances tells me that I'm more than just a "chart" to him. That means a lot to me.

The same week there was a party in the conference room near my desk. It was catered by the "chef" in charge of the company cafe. I've spoken with him in passing, but we never exchanged names or anything. They had carts with desserts in the hall by my cubicle. I jokingly told him that I would be happy to take one of them off his hands, so it wouldn't be in his way. He just laughed, but less than 5 mins later he put a glass of sherbet with berries on my desk. This guy is renown for being nice, but he really doesn't know me from JACK and I never expected it.

If I had to be sick, thank Goodness my guardian angel was on duty.

In October I was very sick with bleeding stomach ulcers , I was in the hospital twice and had to get blood both times......My church sponsored a blood drive in my name to replace what I had used, this not only helped me but others in my community. My church is small but we had about 23 people give blood. It was the most heartwarming thing anyone has ever done for me.

I am on the mend now thank goodness and enjoying life a with a renewed spirit.
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

Before I was canuckinchile, I was canuckinperu. I was living in a small community filled with other ex pats, mostly Canadians, Australians, Americans, and of course Peruvians. It was just before Christmas time, and my father passed away and I was devastated. My husband and I quickly made arrangements to return home, but decided to leave our 3 kids with friends. When I returned, after a long and difficult trip, I walked in the front door of my house to find....all my Christmas decorations hung, a fully decorated tree, the table set with dinner and numerous other dinners prepared. There were wrapped gifts under the tree, which was the nicest one I have ever had. It made me cry all over again...but not with sadness.

Pansygirl and Canuckinchile.. Your stories brought a tear to my eye and makes me glad to know that we still have people like that in our world who think about others. May God bless you both!

+ Reply to Thread