+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What unselfish thing has someone done for you?

Autism Awareness Ribbon greycoatonawitc's Avatar
    this just happened today. i was complaining to my husband about how I spend all day cleaning and within two minutes our children totally trash the house and they don't seen to care (they are ages, 8, 6, 6 & 4.) I had decided to give up for the day on cleaning (i usually do it while they are at school but it really needed it today), got on the computer to check our email and i noticed my 4 year old had gotten all the clothes out of the dryer and tried to fold them. i gave him a high five plus a big hug and i started to cry just because i had hit a low point in my day and that little act...helped me out more than he'll ever know.

i must be doing something right as a parent.
    April is Autism awareness month!! I have 6 year old faternal twins with Autism. they are wonderful little guys. It's not misbehaving....it's a disablity.

Angel boy
    Quote Originally Posted by greycoatonawitc
    this just happened today. i was complaining to my husband about how I spend all day cleaning and within two minutes our children totally trash the house and they don't seen to care (they are ages, 8, 6, 6 & 4.) I had decided to give up for the day on cleaning (i usually do it while they are at school but it really needed it today), got on the computer to check our email and i noticed my 4 year old had gotten all the clothes out of the dryer and tried to fold them. i gave him a high five plus a big hug and i started to cry just because i had hit a low point in my day and that little act...helped me out more than he'll ever know.

i must be doing something right as a parent.
    How sweet!! You are definitely a good mom. Kids can be sweet at the most unexpected times.
    America- love it or leave it!

FORT Fogey
    Several years ago I had to be hospitalized for a chronic illness and I had just lost my job. While I was in the hospital my landlord decided to sell the house I was renting.
    Also while in the hospital I lined up a new job (a pretty good one for me, at the time).

I was relieved that I wouldn't be leaving the hospital jobless but I was uneasy becasue I would be leaving the hospital in a soon-to-be-homeless state.

On the first weekend after I got out of the hospital I went to my church, as usual. A married couple with whom I was close friends asked me if I was planning to attend a seminar that night, and I said, "yes." They said, "Good, we'll see you then. Make sure you don't leave until we see you."

So that night, after the seminar, they sat down with me and said, "Listen, we want you to have this."

The husband reached over and handed me ten hundred-dollar bills. Boom. Just like that, they handed me a thousand dollars.

They said, "We know you have to move soon, and we know you're starting a job, and we want to make sure you have a solid foundation 'cause you just got out of the hospital."

I was stunned.

They said, "Don't even think about how to pay us back. This is a GIFT. We just want the best start for you now that you're on your feet again. If you want to pay us back then just help someone else when you can."

Wow. I never forgot them for that and I'm happy to say that the money was put to excellent use. I regained my health (not completely but substantially) and I did great at that job, I found a new house very soon, and I never, ever went backward.

Even though my situation was so precarious at the time I left the hospital those friends made an investment in me that paid off for me in a huge way and that really helped me through that difficult time.

I am still blown away by their selflessness.

You gotta love the kiddos, Greycoat. They sure know how to make you feel better (Even if you have to refold the laundry after they leave the room )

Pom, it is great that you have friends like that. True friends watch out for one another.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Wow Pom. I'm speechless. What great friends you have.
    Count your blessings!

I am so grateful to all of you for sharing your experiences. It's so easy to just focus on the bad things life throws at us and not even acknowledge the good. No matter how small or large a selfless act is, it has the power to change our lives and our outlook on life.

When I sit at home with my grandchildren on my lap watching a kid's movie or reading them a story, I think "Life just doesn't get any better than this". And then it does.

My mom is one of 9 kids. We happened to be the "poorest" family of all of her brothers & sisters. The Christmas that I was four and my brother, two, we had just moved about an hour away from the rest of the family and my dad had started a new job. Money was really tight and my parents couldn't afford a lot of presents for us that year. We always spent Christmas with my grandparents and drove the hour to spend Christmas Eve and morning with them. When we arrived, Mom & Dad put our presents under the tree - there were only a few, and they had hidden the Santa gifts. When we all woke up the next morning, there were a lot more Santa gifts than they had put under the tree. My mom figured out that one of her brother in laws had gone out shopping and bought a whole bunch of things for my brother & I so that we wouldn't miss out on Christmas. He didn't want us to have less than we deserved, and less than our cousins (who we spent Christmas Day with) so he played Santa that year. The interesting thing is that this bro-in-law wasn't the friendliest and a lot of the family didn't hold a special place for him, but we knew him better, especially after that - the man had a heart of gold. He's gone now, but I'll always remember this story, it always makes me cry, no matter how many times I think about it.

Buffy: What is this?
    Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too. ("Gingerbread")

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

Pom, wow the generosity of that couple just blows me away. How wonderful!

DJgirl, that's such a great story, and I'm glad you shared it. Isn't it wonderful when the holidays are brightened due to a loved one with a heart of gold?

Jay
    I love reading these stories, everyone. Thanks for sharing.

Dj, what a wonderful, sweet thing for your uncle to do. It warms my heart hearing these stories.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread