+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: What unselfish thing has someone done for you?

With all of the tax evasion going on you would think they would be happy to get their money EVENTUALLY.

I guess I can't call her the "MEAN" sister anymore.

The most recent thing - the other night I was in a hurry (as always) and left the bank with my card and receipt behind me (i before e) grr
    Anyway, a couple of teenage boys were behind me and one ran into a very busy street to get me to pull over to give me my re. and my bank card. I just thought it was sweet. A lot of ppl around here wouldn't bother.
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

I'm bumping this thread because I loved reading these stories!

My husband did the most unselfish thing for me...only he wasn't my husband at the time. We met on a blind date that I didn't even want to go on! I had just ended a relationship and had no desire to date anyone but my friends kept pushing me to get out. They gave him my number and he called and asked me to dinner. I was so indifferent about the whole date that I went straight from the gym in my workout clothes to meet him! He was nice enough and made me laugh...alot! We saw each other a few times a week but I kept insisting that I only wanted a friendship. Well, I injured my back and he stayed with me at the hospital. I have no family here and if not for him, I would've been alone. He refused to leave my side even when the hospital said only immediate family could stay. He brought me food, read to me, kept my spirits up, and even helped me to the bathroom. It was after that 2 night hospital stay that I knew he was more than just a friend. Three months later, I had back surgery and again, he never left my side. A year later, I married him!
    Last edited by lildago; 01-15-2007 at 01:47 AM.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

giz
    Hep, that is a sweet story, and the flower fairies are very good for teaching botany. Lildago, I am green with envy, he sounds like a keeper. My nomination for something nice done for me, is my friend P., who has been keeping me in the forefront of her busy life and helping me with get a job advice (and telling me when stuff comes up at her work, and recommending me to people). She's super-busy, but takes the time. Thanks P.

FORT Regular
    If you remember Phoebe's episode on Friends where she argues that nothing can be truly selfish, I pretty much agree with that. However, the most unselfish thing that someone has done for me most recently would have to be my girlfriend buying me sick stuff when I was stuck in bed. She brought me tissues and medicine and chicken soup and cough syrup and had nothing coming to her, at lesat not until I got better.

Just last night I went over to my boyfriend's house after leaving the gym. I had showered and all at the gym, but I only had a t-shirt and shorts to change into, not realizing just how cold it was supposed to get after dark. Hey, this is Georgia! If you don't like the current weather, wait a few minutes and it will change. Anyway, David saw me shivering as I went into his house and he went straight to his bedroom and got me a pair of his own warm up pants and a flannel sweatshirt and sat me down and put them on me. AWWWW!.... I think I'm in love!
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    My fiance ( before he was my fiance ) was just a guy I talked to on break at work and I was married to a total j*ck*ss and he would listen to all the jerky things he did and how miserable I was and pat me on the back and there there. He was such a good listener and a friend to me. And one day ( the 3rd day of a 5 day cry-fest ) I said something about leaving and that I was scared ( ex was total psycho ) and ex called me at work to yell at me cause someone kept calling the house and hanging up when he answered so I was having an afffair and my BF was on the phone trying to call me. ( If I was having an affair wouldn't I tell the guy not to call while I was at work?? DUH!! ) So when I left I was really freaking ou t not knowing how he'd be when I got home. Saturday morning I get a call from JAFO' s sister checking on me to make sure I'm ok. He was worried ( and had met evil ex from hell ) but didn't want to stir up problems so he had baby sister call ( how sweet ) and check up on me. THEN! This guy who has known me for prolly 2 months tells me he has family in Oregon and he talked to them and if I was serious about leaving they would put me and 2 boys up. He even offered to send money. I was so floored. He was ready to do anything to help me. And he never asked for anything in return. I had had these tingly warm fuzzy feelings all along and was trying to supress them but I couldn't . I ended up leaving hubby and going through a bit of hell for a minute but he was by my side the whole time. Now I laugh every day ( instead of cry ) and I look forward to every new day instead of dreading it.

JAFO ( his real name is Bruce ) helping me out of that and risking everything ( even his life ) just to see me happy and safe is the most unselfish thing anyone has ever done. I think that is what made me fall in love with him. He does nothing but give to those around him. He is the most wonderful man i've ever known.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

That is a great story, Jafos Princess. He sounds like a real winner.

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    He is. We actually met for the first time when I worked at a gas station up the road and he was doing a christmas toy drive for Riley Children's hospital. He told me they were hiring here and the rest is history! I wish everyone could have it as good as I do now.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

I stopped for lunch at Pizza Hut and forgot to turn my headlights off (brilliant huh?). When I tried to start the car... ya you guessed it, dead battery. I went inside and asked if I could use their phone to call the Wal Mart garage next door for a jump start. The hostess said she might be able to do better than that and told me to wait. She returned with a man who said he had jumper cables and would be happy to help me out and did.

There was a time when I expected people to be nicer around Christmastime, but my bubble has been burst too often over the last 5-10 years to do so now. It's nice to be proved wrong in this case and I'm inspired to set an example. I'll let you know how that works out since I'll be doing all of my Christmas shopping at the last minute on 12/23.

+ Reply to Thread