+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: What unselfish thing has someone done for you?

Gutmutter, I've shoveled snow. Piles and piles of Quebec snow. It's a miserable experience, and what your neighbor did was indeed a kind gesture.

Texicana, enjoy your trip! Sounds like a blast.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

The other day a older-looking man approached me, my husband and my daughter. He asked her, "Do you believe in fairies?"

I'm thinking, great, some random stranger is having an "episode" and decides to talk to my four-year-old. She's not shy, so she asked him what a fairy was. He opened up a paper bag, and I couldn't believe it - it was filled with beautiful collectible Flower Fairys. He also had hardcover, brand new copies of one of the Flower Fairy books. (If you've never heard of these, they are a series of books and drawings by Cicely Mary Barker done in the 20's and 30's. They are precious.) He spread out the boxes of fairies, and told her a story about every one he had - what flower, what each flower fairy's job was. It was fascinating and it was obvious he adored the little fairies, and just wanted to share his joy in them.

He let her pick one, and gave her the book, too, and he wouldn't take any money. We chatted for a while. He wasn't trying to sell us anything, he just buys these beautiful things and gives them out. We thanked him and wished him well.

We were at the train station, so after we left him we popped in the little cafe there. The two women behind the counter saw what my daughter was carrying and nodded, saying they knew where the fairy had come from. The cafe owner pointed out several of the fairies hanging around the restaurant. She said that "Eddie" was a regular who loved to give out the fairies.

I'll never forget it, and what's the book my daughter wants to read every night? The Flower Fairy book.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Heppy, that's a very touching story *lower lip trembles* Restores my faith in people
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Things Happen............ J1NVUPatricia's Avatar
    An unselfish thing that my boyfriend/friend has done for me is giving me all the money he had for my 15th birthday. He had to help pay bills because his father moved out and he only had $10 in his pocket and he gave it to me because he loves me, cares about me and it was my birthday. when i took the money from him i didn't know that it was the only money he had. if i did i wouldn't have taken it from him, really. i wanted to cry when he told me because of his thoughtfulness. i offered to give it back but he wouldn't take it. i wouldn't do that for anyone and it's wonderful that i know someone who would.
    Love is very complicated and complex thing that can be expressed in many different ways. No one really knows the true meaning of love.
    Love Always Patricia

Wow, Hep, that's a great story. How fun he takes the time to spread Flower Fairy magic around town!

JN1UVP, sounds like you've got a dear friend.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

FORT Fogey
    Hep, that's a really great story. That's so sweet.

Too cold to run away! Burntcrow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    Heppy, that's a very touching story *lower lip trembles* Restores my faith in people
    at the trembling...I don't know why, it's just funny..eh.

FORT Regular
    my friend let me borrow all her notes throughout last semester for a class while I slept in.

I went to H&R Block Saturday to have my 2004 taxes done. I normally do it myself but it was a weird year with losing my job, collecting unemployment, withdrawing part of my pension and working through a temp agency. I expected to owe about $200 to Uncle Sam and $60 to H&R. Unfortunately my dear Uncle wants almost $700 by Friday and H&R were kind enough to prepare my returns for $178. The hits just kept on coming when my beloved state of PA wanted $300 as well (by Friday). The good news is that H&R is giving me $20 for being a new victim and my local gov't is refunding $60 that the temp agency overpaid. I told them I could pay the $300, but the feds would just have to throw me in debtor's prison for the other. At least I'll have a place to stay when I can't pay my rent for this month. To avoid that unpleasantness they set me up on an installment plan with an undisclosed interest amount attached. My goal at that point was to get out of there without sobbing uncontrollably.

On Sunday I went to a family birthday party and, although I hadn't planned to, spilled my guts about this to two of my sisters. This morning my sister called to say that she will be depositing $700 into my checking account and I don't have to pay her back. She isn't by any means rich, but wanted to do this for me. Her generosity still has me in shock.

Premium Member
    dberk, your sister is an angel. One year we owed about $3500 and H&R told us to just send what we could afford and we could make payments every month. Yeah, right... our "Uncle" tacked on about $100 a month in interest which included a threatening letter every month. We finally had to go borrow from the bank to pay it off, couldn't take the pressure any more. God bless your sis!

+ Reply to Thread