+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Halloween Costume Ideas!

FORT Fanatic

Re: Halloween Costume Ideas!

Thanks for your suggestions burntbrat and beerbelly! To answer your question, yes the board going through his midsection would be ideal and the idea of using some type of wire harness under his clothes is great...thank you, we'll just have to work out the kinks in the execution. Burnt, I saw this costume online it's just a piece of foam that goes over the head.....if nothing else, it's good for expanding your own ideas.

MRD

I just found out the museum I'm volunteering for is having an old fashioned USO type Dance from the 40's on Veteran's Day weekend. Costume's encouraged.
    I've been looking at stuff online, but don't know if I can pull anything off.

Hubby is lucky, he has a double breasted suit and those were very popular in the 40's and even his pants are cuffed. It would be nice to have him in uniform, but we can't afford it. Which brings me to my dilemma. How do I get the 1940's look on a budget and I don't sew that well?

I found some ankle strap shoes, but really, they are kind of expensive for a one shot deal.

I was thinking of wearing overalls, a bandana in my hair and going as Rosie the Riveter and saying I just got off my shift at the airplane factory and didn't have time to change before the dance.

Anyone have any ideas for me? Something classy, but inexpensive?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Wow, that's a hard one MRD. I would look around on e-bay and see if maybe there was anything, or possibly a thrift shop in your area might have a dress that can be made to look like the 40's. If you can get the hairstyle, and jewelery right as well as the "bow" shaped lipstick, you should be able to find something. Good luck.

Actually, MRD, retro is in, so you might be able to find a 40's-style dress in stores. And I know there are ankle strap shoes all over the place, including Target (not too pricey there).
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Hubby and I are going to a party on the 27th. I suggested I hot glue 50 pennies all over his shirt and he could be Fifty Cent. While I will hot glue nickels on my back and go as Nickleback.
    He did not get it.
    He listens to country music.
    My sons however thought it was a GREAT idea.

FORT Fan

That's hysterical

I was hoping to find the soft serve icecream costume from the DQ commercials but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Oh, well. Not sure what I'll do now. I want something unique and different. Maybe even something using one of the costumes I already have from past years. (Guinevere, Juliet, Dorothy, and an Angel.)
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

MRD

Ana Banana I LOVE those ideas. VERY clever.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I went as a "french tickler" one year. I think my hair was bright pink and spiked, I'd hold out my wiggling fingers and say "ooh la la". (I don't speak french if you couldn't tell)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2612987;
    I just found out the museum I'm volunteering for is having an old fashioned USO type Dance from the 40's on Veteran's Day weekend. Costume's encouraged.
    I've been looking at stuff online, but don't know if I can pull anything off.

Hubby is lucky, he has a double breasted suit and those were very popular in the 40's and even his pants are cuffed. It would be nice to have him in uniform, but we can't afford it. Which brings me to my dilemma. How do I get the 1940's look on a budget and I don't sew that well?

I found some ankle strap shoes, but really, they are kind of expensive for a one shot deal.

I was thinking of wearing overalls, a bandana in my hair and going as Rosie the Riveter and saying I just got off my shift at the airplane factory and didn't have time to change before the dance.

Anyone have any ideas for me? Something classy, but inexpensive?

mrd a military surplus store might have a uniform ... or better ... ask around of friends, family, neighbors. Someone you know might know a veteran with a uniform they'd lend to you.

Loose fitting slacks worn with tailored blouses with shoulder pads were also a 40's look. Marlene Dietrich even wore them during her USO show tours.

Also, I don't think ankle straps are a must. I think they also wore slip on shoes with kind of chunky heels. Also, if you opt for the slacks ... or even a long dress the shoes won't be as important and you can dance more comfortably.

Personally, though ... I think the Rosie the riveter is a superb idea. You and your hubby can pretend he's back from the front and wants his job back.
    Last edited by echo226; 10-18-2007 at 06:29 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread