+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reality TV and Seatbelt Usage

Reality TV and Seatbelt Usage

Consistent seatbelt use seems like a no-brainer to me. It didn't even occur to me that some people would not weat theirs, until I started watching Reality TV. Have you ever noticed how many scenes there are of people driving, where no one is belted up??? I've seen it in TAR, Trading Spouses, The Bachelor/ette, Amish in the City, and too many more to remember. What is the matter with these people? I don't care if you are crying in the back of a limo in a formal gown, or driving 'the new mommy' to the water park in a beat up minivan. You still need a seatbelt!

As a teenager in the early 1980's I didn't consistently wear mine, until the day I was unbelted in an accident. Miraculously no one was hurt, and I've worn it every day since, even to move the car in the driveway. You do wear yours, right?

You bet I do! I was in a car accident a few weeks ago - I was rear-ended pretty hard and then hit the car in front of me ($6500 worth of damage on my car) and the only "injury" I had was a small bruise on my chest from the seatbelt. My right arm and shoulder (the unseatbelted side) were sort of jerked forward and were sore that night, but I was fine by the next morning.

I think it is very stupid not to wear a seatbelt, it takes next to no effort whatsoever to put it on.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Yes!!!!! I've been carping about this myself. I've noticed this over and over, too. I even like some of the real forensic-type shows, and many cops don't wear them either. It never ceases to amaze me. When Princess Di was killed, the press made a big deal out of the fact that had she been belted in, they figured she would have lived, so I thought things would change after that especially. It's hard to figure what some people are thinking. My daughter just totalled my car about l month ago, she was belted and we had airbags....she was slightly bruised. That's it.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I don't know.. I've riden in a limo and a seat belt in there would seem to kind of defeat the purpose.. but otherwise I almost always wear a seatbelt... usually only times Id on't is when I am in a friend/co-worker's car who's is broken
    Big Brother 16: The Alliance - Come See the Fun in the Big Brother Forum!

I am a seatbelt nazi. When I am driving the car won't move until everyone has their seatbelt on. I can't understand why people do not wear seatbelts, it won't make them look bad, if that's what they are afraid of in TV... :rolleyes

Also, I do not understand when people don't wear their seatbelts because they are "just going a couple blocks" or "driving just 20 mph". You never know when you are going to get hit. When I was an exchange student there was a lady who didn't buckle her kid up for two blocks to grocery store, and you can figure what happened. Somebody crashed into them and the child died.
    Last edited by Tirlittan; 09-25-2004 at 01:43 AM.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    May I thread jack for a related matter - only for a short post?

A friend of mine was driving her car, and had stopped at the drive-up ATM machine. Apparently she didn't pull her car close enough to the machine and opened up her door just to reach the buttons. The tragedy is that she didn't put the car in park, and as she leaned over to the ATM, her foot pushed the gas and since she was leaning out of the door, well, an awful, awful thing happened to her. The car lunged forward and pinned her between the open car door and the cement column of the roof. (I'm sparing the graphics - I can't even imagine it.) They say she died instantly, but I wonder about that. She had her two beautiful daughters with her in the car and they saw the whole thing, which was obviously traumatic to those babies.

I do wear my seatbelt, and when I am at a drive-up window, I put my car in Park, whether I'm opening the door or not.

Just something to think about.
    Last edited by J.D.; 09-25-2004 at 06:30 AM.

I saw this sign in a doctor's office, "Free insurance! Wear your seatbelt" The first part was in huge black letters and the rest was in small letters - you had to go close to read it. It may have even held pamphlets about seat belt safety. I saw more people fall for that.

Many of you already know this, but I think it bears repeating. My father was someone who wore his seatbelt about 80% of the time. He wore it on rainy days and when he was on a trip. He'd wear it when he was on the interstate or in bad weather. However, when he was close to home, he would often forget.

One night about two years ago, he had been on a 600 mile trip. He stopped for gas about a half hour from home. I'm convinced that he had his seatbelt on right up until that moment. It was a clear, dry night. He was driving 40 miles an hour and was only 15 minutes from home when he struck a semi. No one knows why he hit it, though we suspect a heart attack. He was ejected through the windshield of his truck and thrown about 50 feet. His truck landed on top of him. He was killed instantly.

I will never understand why people don't wear their seatbelts or why the media doesn't try to encourage it more. It's such a simple thing. I know that some people are killed in freak accidents because they WERE wearing a seatbelt, but for every one of them, I can cite 1,000 cases like my dad. He might have died if he had been wearing a seat belt. I'll never know. But at least my family wouldn't have to have the giant, "What if", that haunts us everyday.

Wear your seatbelts for your family, if not for yourself.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I wear mine all the time and make sure my children are securely buckled, too. Though a seatbelt won't always save you. My brother was wearing his when he hit a semi along the trailer and the back wheels of it ran over the cab of his truck, running over him in the process. Supposedly dead on impact from a ripped open spine from the impact. The seatbelt made no difference.

Performing CPR on someone won't always save them either, but its always worth the effort. It's better to do something to try to protect yourself than to give it up to fate. I'm glad you use seatbelts despite knowing that they don't always make a difference. They save enough people everyday to make it worth the extra effort.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast