+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need insurance claim advice

Need insurance claim advice

I have never ever filed a claim on my car insurance. Never had to deal with it at all. But on Monday, a girl sideswiped my parked car (and three others). So the adjuster from her insurance (AIG) is supposed to come in the next day or two to assess my damage.
    A friend of mine was telling me I should definitely go get the damage appraised and have an estimate *before* the adjuster comes. So this morning I called a couple of body shops to ask if I could bring it in. But both of them said if there's insurance involved, they usually just work off the insurance adjuster's estimate, and if the damage is more than he assessed, they'll call the insurance company and get them to pay more. One place doesn't even make appointments for appraisals until I get the adjuster's assessment.
    So now I don't know what to do, but I figured a few Forters would have experience with this and could advise me. Should I be worried about getting it appraised beforehand, so if he lowballs it I could say no, it'll cost this much to get it fixed, before I accept a check? Or are the body shops right?
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

If you are going through the Insurance company I don't think you have to worry about it. The body shop will work with the insurance company and most likely receive payment directly from them. The body shop will either agree to do the work at the price the adjustor estimated or negotiate with them if it costs more. Its not like they just cut you a check and then its up to you to have the work done.

If you really want to get an estimate beforehand just don't tell the body shop that there is anyu Insurance involved. Tell them it was a hit and run in a parking lot and you are just fixing it on your own without going through your insurance.

Good luck
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Lucy, FH's advice is what I've experienced. Several years ago I was rear-side-swiped by a drunk driver. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that he had insurance. It did the estimate and worked with my body shop.

I would advise taking pictures of it ahead of the appraisal.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

If your car was parked in a parking lot, there should be no deductible. Insurance should pay everything. So, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Good point Veej. Pictures are a good idea.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

It was parked on the street, John, so I don't know if that makes a difference.
    But thanks, all of you. I just didn't know how it typically worked, especially since her insurance has to stretch to cover all four cars she hit -- two of which are totaled. I guess I'm worrying about nothing. Thanks.

Oh, and I did take pictures, as did the policewoman.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Here are some insurance basics, and it covers hitting a parked car...

http://www.carinvoices.com/insurance...nce_basics.htm

Chairman of the Bored Cruella_DeVil's Avatar

Good Luck to You

You may also wish to inquire as to whether or not they will be providing you with a comparable (no tuna cans on wheels) rental vehicle while your car is being repaired? Also, insurance companies usually recommend the repair shops that they have contracts with (to control costs as well as quality of workmanship). Hopefully it will be a reputable shop and the repairs will be made to your full satisfaction. Being as it was the fault of another and thankfully they were insured, there should be no worries on your part to cough up any $$.

As far as the insurance company having to cover the repairs of all of the involved cars... well, that's why people have insurance. It sounds as though they were adequately covered for this incident. That person's premium will definitely go waaaay up if their carrier may cancel them.

You are fortunate that there is coverage. Could have been a smash and dash and then you would be stuck for the deductible and repairs.

Hope all works out well for you.

on vacation
    My advice to you is to contact your own insurance company and ask their advice. You pay huge premiums, make them work for it. You need to know too, independently how much damage is done to your car. Personally, my opinion is that the adjuster isn't working for you, they're working for the person who hit your car and more importantly, working for the insurance company that covers that person.

I'm not trying to make you paranoid or scare you, but the more you are informed, the better the chance that you aren't going to get screwed.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    If your car was parked in a parking lot, there should be no deductible. Insurance should pay everything. So, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

John, that isn't totally true. If it is a hit and run, then you pay your collision deductible. Although it is NOT a chargeable accident. If you find the person (as in Lucy's case ) that hit your car, it would be best to work with the person's insurance and if you do not like the way they are handling the claim, that is when you turn it into your insurance. They will then subrogate with the other insurance company to get your collision deductible back. It is not a 100% guaranteed that you will get it back, but in this instance, I don't see Lucy having a problem. This is what I tell my insured's to do all the time.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast