+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need insurance claim advice

Here's some advice I've learned from dealing with insurance companies:

1. When the other party's insurance adjuster appears, be sure to note any and all damage that has occurred with your vehicle. Pointing out something like: "Look at this! The damage was so bad, it turned my Mercedes into a Chevy!" is especially helpful.

2. "Deductible" is a word composed of Greek roots--de meaning "thanks" and deductos meaning "sucker."

3. If your insurance company's agent and the other party's agent cannot agree on a fair compensation, be sure to invoke the Ancient Right of Trial by Combat.

4. Some articles in your vehicle may be covered if they were in your vehicle at the time of the accident. Point this out by saying something along the lines of, "Well, heck, I was hauling around that trunkful of Picassos, but I guess they all burned up in the accident."

5. Remember you have certain rights; if you don't like the other party's insurance adjuster, you may request another one. When dealing with AIG, ask for that cute Jack Russell Terrier from their commercials.

Just kidding, Lucy. Hope everything turned out okay with the insurance. Dealing with insurance companies can be like pounding your hand with a ball-peen hammer, only more painful.

We have a body shop here in Columbus that is constantly running ads about how insurance companies put the screws to customers. Here is a link to their website with some of their suggestions as to what to do in case of an accident. http://www.threecbodyshop.com/

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Here's some advice I've learned from dealing with insurance companies:

1. When the other party's insurance adjuster appears, be sure to note any and all damage that has occurred with your vehicle. Pointing out something like: "Look at this! The damage was so bad, it turned my Mercedes into a Chevy!" is especially helpful.

2. "Deductible" is a word composed of Greek roots--de meaning "thanks" and deductos meaning "sucker."

3. If your insurance company's agent and the other party's agent cannot agree on a fair compensation, be sure to invoke the Ancient Right of Trial by Combat.

4. Some articles in your vehicle may be covered if they were in your vehicle at the time of the accident. Point this out by saying something along the lines of, "Well, heck, I was hauling around that trunkful of Picassos, but I guess they all burned up in the accident."

5. Remember you have certain rights; if you don't like the other party's insurance adjuster, you may request another one. When dealing with AIG, ask for that cute Jack Russell Terrier from their commercials.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby
    Very well put...

The best point: If you decide to take the adjuster's claim before-hand, don't take the check.

Never ever accept settlement. Sign nothing. Make them deal with the bodyshop. That way the bodyshop is paid direct and you won't be left holding the bag if more damage is found while they are repairing the car.

Plus the insurance company will try to bully you into some fly by night body shop if they can. Contary to what they say... you can take it to any bodyshop to have it repaired.
    Ok, this is exactly what the current problem is -- the insurance adjuster woman just told me on the phone that A, she had to get my appraisal (which is for about $2,000 worth of damage) approved by her boss because we're nearing the limit of the policy's coverage, and B, she would then send me a check.
    The body shops I've talked to said they deal directly with the insurance company and will contact them if additional work is needed.
    So I shouldn't take the check? Should I hurry up and get it into a body shop and make them deal with it? (oh, and they didn't give me any limits on where I could take it).
    Edited to add: Ok, I just talked to the body shop where I probably will take it (because it's associated with a dealership) and they said it's normal for me to take the check, but that anything additional, the insurance will pay them directly.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice and help.
    Last edited by Lucy; 09-29-2004 at 02:59 PM.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Ok, I just talked to the body shop where I probably will take it (because it's associated with a dealership) and they said it's normal for me to take the check, but that anything additional, the insurance will pay them directly.
    that's what i've done in the past. the insurance co cuts me a check in my name and the name of the place i choose to do the repairs. when my car costs more to fix than the insurance check, the insurance co has always just paid the additional funds to the repair shop.

if i'm doing it wrong, i dunno.

granted, when i was young and my dad still handled all the dealings, he told me not to cash the check the company gave me, then he called the insurance company and got me a WHOLE lot more money. but he's a lawyer and he hates insurance companies. but as an adult handling my own affairs, i just sign the check, and the repair shop signs the check and my car gets all fixed up.

i think i'm naive.

See, this is the thing...insurance is meant to compensate your losses, it's not meant to be a lottery win. (No offence meant to your dad, Sher.) People rip off insurance companies ALL the time. I've seen plenty, including disability insurance, auto insurance, and home insurance. They pat themselves on the back for pulling a fast one, then bitch and complain when rates go up and the insurer insists on fully investigating a claim. Yes, I know insurance companies rake in obscene wads of cash from their clients, but for heaven's sake, they're a profit-driven business, that's what they do.

My point being...Lucy, take your money and get your car fixed. You don't have to be paranoid about getting ripped off. Like I said before, just make sure your claim is well-documented - don't depend on your body shop or insurer's files.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Two quick comments: First:

Ok, this is exactly what the current problem is -- the insurance adjuster woman just told me on the phone that A, she had to get my appraisal (which is for about $2,000 worth of damage) approved by her boss because we're nearing the limit of the policy's coverage, and B, she would then send me a check.
    $2,000 is policy limits?

Second:

AJane, I know you've got insurance experience - and I've got insurance defense experience. Between the two of us, I'm sure we've seen plenty of scams. I put in another thread somewhere that one of my pet peeves is people looking for free money. (lottery win notwithstanding) It's so easy to pinpoint those people after a while. Like you say, "insurance is meant to compensate your losses". Some of these actions have made me very cynical and yoou don't want this conservative on your jury.

(Lucy, I'm not referring to you - your scams are much more subtle and profitable. )

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    $2,000 is policy limits?
    No. My $2,000, the $800 to fix a second car's trunk, and the cost of totalling at least two other cars, and possibly a third if you count the driver's.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    No. My $2,000, the $800 to fix a second car's trunk, and the cost of totalling at least two other cars, and possibly a third if you count the driver's.

JMHO - that driver should have his/her license revoked. If the person can sleep through hitting three cars, they shouldn't even be getting out of bed, let alone driving a car. I hope all works out well.

JD. I know she got a reckless driving ticket. How she could fall asleep given that there was a stoplight 20 feet behind her, and 1 1/2 blocks away she'd just gotten off cobblestones, which no one could sleep through, is beyond me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast