Here's some advice I've learned from dealing with insurance companies:
1. When the other party's insurance adjuster appears, be sure to note any and all damage that has occurred with your vehicle. Pointing out something like: "Look at this! The damage was so bad, it turned my Mercedes into a Chevy!" is especially helpful.
2. "Deductible" is a word composed of Greek roots--de meaning "thanks" and deductos meaning "sucker."
3. If your insurance company's agent and the other party's agent cannot agree on a fair compensation, be sure to invoke the Ancient Right of Trial by Combat.
4. Some articles in your vehicle may be covered if they were in your vehicle at the time of the accident. Point this out by saying something along the lines of, "Well, heck, I was hauling around that trunkful of Picassos, but I guess they all burned up in the accident."
5. Remember you have certain rights; if you don't like the other party's insurance adjuster, you may request another one. When dealing with AIG, ask for that cute Jack Russell Terrier from their commercials.
Just kidding, Lucy. Hope everything turned out okay with the insurance. Dealing with insurance companies can be like pounding your hand with a ball-peen hammer, only more painful.