+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Surgery?

Oh Radar, sorry to hear about all of this. Hopefully things will get better. Ditto calling the doctor's office about the swelling and keeping your feet elevated.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I've been thinking about maybe getting a tummy tuck after I have a second child because of esthetic reasons. One of my friends said her mom did it (about 15 years ago) and she always regretted it because of the pain and discomfort. How bad can it be? I can't imagine it being worse than a c-section.
    TMI, maybe, but I always joke that after my second child, which will most probably be born by c-section, I'll take advantage of being on the operating table and have a tubal ligation, a tummy tuck and, why not, a breast lift. Of course, 1) the doctor will never permit it and 2) I'll chicken out and not do it, but it's nice to dream about the perfect body.

DesertRose, I think if your self-esteem is suffering, then you should do whatever you think will make you happy with yourself again. However, keep in mind that there is no minor surgery and some women have gone in for a nose job and never came out. My advice is to weigh its importance to you carefully and research doctors extensively before you commit to any of them. Good luck in anything you decide. I'll probably just have to learn to live with whatever nature throws my way because I'd totally chicken out.

I'm probably going to have to have some sort of dental surgery tomorrow. I had my very back tooth split apart all the way down to the quick. I accidently swallowed the part that broke off and there's just nothing left to save, i don't think. It appears that there's only a small corner of it left and the roots are exposed on the other corners from what I can see. I'm in a severe amount of pain that's almost unbearable. So, I'm toughing it out until the morning and calling dentists and oral surgeons until I can find one to get it out or fix it. What I'm afraid of is that its so swollen at this point that they'll have to give me antibiotics to get the swelling down before they can pull it out (which happened to me with a wisdom tooth).
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

giz
    Desertrose, my sister-in-law had her tummy done after two kids. She even got it paid for by the government! I love Canada. Hers went fine, no great discomfort later. Everyone responds so differently to surgery, and it could be things have improved greatly since your friend's mum had it done. There's the rub, it could go well, or not. Depends how much it's bugging you I guess. (My tummy's okay after 2 kids. Is it a skin thing, or a muscle thing? I had to have a boob reduction afterwards cause my body responds to estrogen in a crazy Dolly Parton way. That surgery was fine, and life-changing, and I've never regretted it).

Stargazer, good luck with your tooth tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    I've been thinking about maybe getting a tummy tuck after I have a second child because of esthetic reasons. One of my friends said her mom did it (about 15 years ago) and she always regretted it because of the pain and discomfort. How bad can it be? I can't imagine it being worse than a c-section.
    Desertrose, a tummy tuck invloves a lot more than a c section does! I saw them do one on one of those medical shows and just about got sick...they have to cut around the belly button like a core, and make a hole in the skin that will be covering the umbilicus ...so you don't end up with a belly button somewhere it shouldn't be, ugly plus stretching the umbilicus leading to problems. Also, they have to cut the outside of the muscle wall, vertically, remove some of the connective tissue that's overstretched, and sew it all back together.

Star, I hope they can get that tooth out ok, and hopefully you won't have to have a root canal or anything like that. I don't know a whole lot about those, but that broken tooth sounds painful! Get well soon.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by giz
    ...She even got it paid for by the government! I love Canada.

Giz: I love my country (Canada) too, so how did she get it for free?

My cousin was able to get a tummy tuck in order to do some reconstructive surgery after breast cancer. After her oncologist was done in the O.R. the plastic surgeon was in fixing everything up. They took some fat from her belly and put it back in her breast. It wasn't easy for her at all. She was bent over for weeks and in pain. It really depends on your health and surgeon I guess.

Stargazer My thoughts are with you... I hate toothy problems
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

You may be able to have a tubal during the csection but not the other stuff desert rose, but it is nice to dream. Part of what I had done Friday included the tubal, which is done laperscoply (no clue how to spell that) along with having to cut adhensions from my c section 14 years ago. (along with other things, I felt like I was going in for my 100,000 mile rework)

I guess this wasn't too bad, I'm going to work today. Would have prefered to take one more day off as I'm still tired, but we have an audit today.

I've heard a tummy tuck can be very painful. A girlfriend had it done after her 2 c sections and said it was worse.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

giz
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post

Giz: I love my country (Canada) too, so how did she get it for free?
    She's diabetic and said that she needed it because of having to inject in her tummy. It wasn't that though, it was the babies. Same with my surgery. I was told to say it was back pain, but really it was vanity.

Thanks for your comments everyone. I think you, and especially QueenB, have convinced me that I can live with my problem areas. Honestly, I'm pretty sure some exercising would take care of most of the stomach problem.

Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    She's diabetic and said that she needed it because of having to inject in her tummy. It wasn't that though, it was the babies. Same with my surgery. I was told to say it was back pain, but really it was vanity.
    Giz, thank you for spending my tax money for a vanity-related surgery. Same to your friend. I know many people abuse our system and I guess it's the government's fault for not paying more attention, but it really kills me to see people that can afford it get a free pass whereas people that really need it for reconstructive purposes sometimes don't get any financial help.

Good luck with the tooth, Star. May it be quick and painless for you.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread