+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Surgery?

Not until that night. I was too tired and out of it. I drank two frapichinos during the day but that was it.

At night I had some mashed potatos and gravey
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp View Post
    Not until that night. I was too tired and out of it. I drank two frapichinos during the day but that was it.

At night I had some mashed potatos and gravey
    Were you very nauseaus after the surgery? When you woke up the next day were you able to eat a little more?

I have to have mine removed on Friday at 1:00 p.m. Since you have to fast 6 hours before the surgery, I was planning to eat a light breakfast very early - like at 6 a.m. Do you think that this will be okay?

I wasn't nauseasted at all. I was really out of it and taking the pain pills made me even more so.
    As for the timing of when you eat, whatever your dentist said to do. So if you were told 6 hours, I'm sure a light breakfast that early will be fine.

It's been a little hard to eat today. I had some yogurt and then a piece of thin slice pizza cut up in tiny pieces. Not really hungry and it does hurt to chew.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

laura000 Hi! I hope your surgery goes well on Friday. See below.

nlmcp I just remembered something. When I had my wisdom teeth removed, I think I actually ate babyfood for a couple of days. It tastes great warmed up, is all mushy so it didn't hurt, and was nutritious! Try the meat and fruit or veggies ones. You might actually like it.

Another idea is to put Chunky soup in your blender and puree it. (and then heat it up in the microwave). It tastes the same but easier on the gums.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Wisdom Teeth Update

Quote Originally Posted by DjDeluxay View Post
    Has anyone had any kind of surgery befor? Oral? etc.?

well,
    my Oral Surgery is today Tuesday Sept. 21, 2004 at 9:30AM
    I am getting 8 teeth extracted.
    Freaky huh?
    Well hope i will have a good recover and can chat asap
    So I finally got all four wisdom teeth removed today and I think everything went well. I got the i.v. injection and laughing gas, so I was completely out - I don't remember a single thing. I was a little dizzy and very tired afterwards, walking to the car, and I rested for the afternoon.

I did not have nausia yet. I managed to eat quite a bit .. yogurt, some grapes, roasted peppers, an egg, boiled zucchini, bread (soaked in some broth). I feel like I can physically even eat more solid foods but won't b/c I don't want to feel more pain or get an infection.

The doctor gave me an antibotic (clindamycin) that I have to take 4 times a day, a painkiller (oxycodone) and tylenol 3's. I took an antibiotic and a painkiller so that when the freezing wears off I won't feel much pain.

I have some numbness in my right cheek and in my chin, so I've been using ice packs.

But physically I feel fine .. I even rode on my stationary bike and watched t.v. for half an hour today.

The only thing I'm concerned about is that my dentist did not give me the siringe thing to clean the teeth that many of you got. He gave me an antibacterial rinse. Should I got buy a siringe at the store? How can I ensure that when particiles get inte those empty spaces I can remove them to prevent an infection?

Not bad laura, you are eating more then I am. If I chew too much it hurts so I'm on slimfast, pudding and yogurt.

I didn't get a rinse, I was just told to use a mild salt water solution and rinse very gently, so far it seems to be working.

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp View Post
    Not bad laura, you are eating more then I am. If I chew too much it hurts so I'm on slimfast, pudding and yogurt.

I didn't get a rinse, I was just told to use a mild salt water solution and rinse very gently, so far it seems to be working.
    It's the next morning and the swelling is completely gone. I actually feel pretty good. Yesterday I had no pain but the pain is starting to kick in a little bit in the empty spaces where the teeth were. I took a painkiller (oxycodone) and a antibiotic (clindamycin) two hours ago but they don't really seem to be working too well.
    I have no more swelling (just a little tender on the inside but the swelling is not noticeable), I am not nauseous, I have an appetite and feel like I can eat anything I want (I'll avoid crunching foods and nuts to prevent them getting into the empty spaces but physically, even with this toothache, I still feel like I can eat them).
    I don't think the pain is that bad though .. just like a really bad toothache. My dentist said I can take a regular tyelonol if the pain does not go away easily even after taking the painkiller.

Some questions I have ...

1. Does the warm salt water rinse really work, even when you are experiencing some pain? I'm worried that if I swish it around in my wounds it will sting. Should I avoid swishing it in the wounds?

2. I've heard to avoid spitting and sucking .. is this just the first day? It's the second day now and if I need to start using the antibacterial mouth wash that the dentist gave me, salt water rinses, and begin brushing my teeth, I'm going to be spitting. Is this okay?

3. The dentist gave me dissolving stiches. One came out yesterday, which was the first day. Is this normal or does this mean the sites are not healing properly?

4. How often should I brush my teeth - after each meal? Since the dentist did not give me a syringe I want to make sure that the empty spaces do not get clogged with food particles.

I was told to avoid spitting or sucking for 4-5 days. They told me when brushing my teeth to avoid the areas where the teeth where taken out and just let the water, rinse etc run out of my mouth. When I use the rinse I just very gently swish it around. It's not a lot of salt in the water, just alittle but if you got an anti botic rinse, use that just swish it very gently and then lean over the sink and open your mouth.

It's my understanding they want the blood clot that is there, to stay there for awhile. That you can develop 'dry socket' on the 3-4 day so you need to be gentle still.

I am currently recuperating from major knee surgery.
    So I have a lot of time to watch tv and spend time on the internet.
    My kneecap was going out of joint, causing me a lot of pain and stiffness. I had been seeing a Dr. for several years, with anti-inflammatories and pain killers, but things were just becoming unbearable for me.
    Unfortunately, nothing wrong showed up on traditional x-rays. It wasn't until they gave me mri's and cat-scans that showed what the cause was.
    My upper leg bone had a slight curve in it, which gave my left leg a knock-kneed appearance, and caused the bones to seemingly pop in and out of joint.
    They had to break my leg, straighten it out, place a small wedge of bone in to keep it straight, and a plate to hold it together. They also had to cut the tendons on the outside, in order to give my kneecap room to shift over to its normal position.
    I can't put any weight on it at all for 2 months, and probably another month on crutches besides that.
    It has been 2 1/2 weeks, and I still have a considerable amount of pain. Within the last few days, I have been experiencing considerable swelling in my foot and ankle. This is very concerning to me, since an elder friend of mine recently had abdominal surgery, and had complications that resulted in circulation problems, and he ended up having his leg amputated.
    Also, since my knee caused me to limp, or walk funny, it caused me to hae pain in the opposite hip just within the last few months. On the cat-scan, the Dr. said it showed I had severe arthritis in my hip and all of the joints in it were shot. He said there was nothing that could be done for it, except possibly injections.
    Besides the pain from my knee and hip, this whole situation has caused me a great deal of worry and nervousness. I feel that I am young to be going thru these types of surgeries, etc. I recently turned 45.
    Sorry to lay my troubles on everyone, but I guess it feels better to get things off my chest.
    Thanks for everyones time.
    -Radar

Radar, I know how you feel! It's terrible when your body wants to start falling apart when your mind still feels young! And yes, arthritis sucks.
    Do try to keep your leg elevated as much as possible. Also, if you aren't allowed to move it much, ask your doctor about support hose--the real kind, not L'eggs!
    And call the doc immediately anyway, to tell them about the swelling. Waiting till your next appointment is not a good idea.
    Also, I just had surgery a couple of months ago, and found that doing some things like jigsaw puzzles, crafts, etc. made me use my brain a bit more than just being 'fed' too much tv and internet, and cut down on some of the anxiety. Of course we want you to hang out here too, but consider 'doing' for a couple of hours a day as opposed to just trying to be entertained.
    Just some thoughts...and don't worry, we all whine around here at times; notice the thread entitled "Talk about your Troubles!"
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread