+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Surgery?

ooooh here comes a somewhat gross story, so consider yourself forewarned.

When I was born I came with a broken jaw. As a child it gave me a really cute crooked smile with my lower jaw going one my and my upper jaw going the other way. Anyways, when you have a problem like that you are not supposed to get it fixed until you have stopped growing. So in 10th grade they gave me braces to get my teeth xtraight before jaw surgery.

My jaw surgery was around March and I was getting my wisdom teeth out at the same time. They weren't sure if they were going to have to operate on only the upper jaw or would have to do both. So intially they only medicated me for about 4 hours. They found that they would have to mess with both so I was over medicated and woke up a LONG time later.

So I had my jaw wired shut for 8 weeks. Wisdom teeth out and cheekbones had to be fixed at the same time. So my jaw was 10 times its normal size and had no feeling in my face. Stiches under my eyes.

The surgery was a great sucess, however one of the downsides is that you can loose feeling permanently in your face. Sometimes it is the whole face...sometimes it is just parts.

I have no feeling at all in the lower half of my face. Took a long time for me to get use to it and if you ever meet me and we go out to eat, that is why I am forever wiping my face with a napkin as I can not feel if I spill food or things of that nature.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

JLuvs, you really have been put through the wringer, haven't you? You're such a sweetie, it hardly seems fair. :nono

I also had all four wisdom teeth removed in my early 20's, and it was no big deal, except, I did take the tylenol with codeine, and it made me extremely nauseous like Dagwood was talking about. I got so violently ill, I got dry sockets, too. But, I thought the intense pain was normal, and since it was a Friday, I didn't call the surgeon until Monday. He got me in immediately and put gauze soaked in cloves in the holes, and it was instant relief. Aaaaahhhhh. My advice to you: do put the teabags over your holes, if your medication makes you sick, stop taking it (I was an idiot and thought my luck just sucked, and I got the flu ), and most importantly, if your pain seems extraordinarily intense, don't hesitate to call the surgeon. Regarding eating, please do be careful about how much you eat before surgery, you don't want a lot in your somach. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post
    I also had all four wisdom teeth removed in my early 20's, and it was no big deal, except, I did take the tylenol with codeine, and it made me extremely nauseous like Dagwood was talking about. I got so violently ill, I got dry sockets, too. But, I thought the intense pain was normal, and since it was a Friday, I didn't call the surgeon until Monday. He got me in immediately and put gauze soaked in cloves in the holes, and it was instant relief. Aaaaahhhhh.
    My Doc did the same thing, Roses - gauze soaked with clove oil. IMMEDIATE relief

I also had my wisdom teeth extracted in my early 20's. They were impacted so they had to do a little 'digging', but all-in-all, everything went relatively smoothly. . ,. until the dry sockets. Fortunately, dry sockets are preventable if you're careful. I had it done on a Friday and was back to work the next Monday.

Regarding pain meds. . . all I can say is ask for the good stuff (vicodin or percocet) and if you do experience pain, you won't even care.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy View Post
    Regarding pain meds. . . all I can say is ask for the good stuff (vicodin or percocet) and if you do experience pain, you won't even care.
    Aah, an experienced woman I see. I had percocet prescribed once when I burned my ankle with boiling water (don't ask ), and it knocked me out good. Unfortunately some idiot kept starting up a lawnmower and waking me up, then as soon as I was awake, it would stop. This happened over and over, and I was so frustrated, I finally hobbled out on my crutches to rant to my roommate. That's when she informed me I had been snoring.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

That is hilarious, roses.

I've only had percocet once, after a c-section. One of my sister's druggie friends stole it. Luckily it was after I needed it but it still made me very angry.

I'm getting 2 wisdom teeth out this morning, 25 years after having my bottom two out because they were impacted. One broke and is starting to come apart and the other is fine, but they are both coming out this morning. I'm getting pills to knock me out since they aren't sure how easily the broken one will come out and I remember getting teeth pulled for my braces and I'm not going through that again wide awake.

I don't remember anyone mentioning dry sockets to me when I had the bottom two out and yesterday at work that was all anyone talked about. Ewww, got read up on that this am. Plus, I'm dying for a cup of hot creamy coffee but can't have any right now.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Good luck, Nancy. Let us know how everything goes.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Everyone's experiences sure do bring back memories. I only had 3 wisdom teeth, and was put out for them to be removed. I had great difficulty waking up from the anaesthetic. I don't remember much pain, but there was bruising and swelling as my jaw is fairly small. But getting the wisdom teeth removed helped the orthodontist get more room to straighten my teeth out with braces later. He was great. He refused to pull any at all. I've always been thankful for that.

nlmcp I'm sure you'll be fine. They know so much more now then when I had mine out. Just follow your instructions and call your dentist if you are concerned about anything. And get plenty of rest.

Jluvs . What a terrible experience. I'm so glad you have everything completed and it worked out well for you.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I really didn't get many instructions other then not to brush my teeth or rinse my mouth yesterday and to be very careful brushing for the next few days.

The oral suregern did tell me that terrable pain is not part of the healing process and if I felt pain to call.

He was so hot! I told him at the start while under the influnce of the pills how hot he was and after he put a few shots of novicine in the roof of my mouth, I told him I changed my mind.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp View Post
    I really didn't get many instructions other then not to brush my teeth or rinse my mouth yesterday and to be very careful brushing for the next few days.

The oral suregern did tell me that terrable pain is not part of the healing process and if I felt pain to call.

He was so hot! I told him at the start while under the influnce of the pills how hot he was and after he put a few shots of novicine in the roof of my mouth, I told him I changed my mind.
    Were you able to eat anything when you got home?

+ Reply to Thread