+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Surgery?

Goodluck dj, atleast it's over....hope you feel 100% in no time.

wisdom teeth

I'm 20 years old and in December one of my wisdom teeth started hurting me really, really badly. 3 of them are in and one of them is almost budding through. My dentist booked me to have all four of them removed next Friday (I have a week off from school then so I figure it will give me an oppurtunity to be at home and recover).

What have you experiences been like? I am absolutely terrified! I am afraid that it will take me months to feel normal again and that I am going to be extremely swollen in the face. I have many homework assignments to complete during that week off - do you think I will have the energy and concentration level to actually do essays during my recovery?

Are there any side effects of the anti biotics (i.e. bloating, constipation, nausea, etc.)?

They say that you have to fast 6 hours before the tooth removal. My appointment is at 2:00 p.m. Do you think it will be okay if I have a light, early breakfast around 6:30 or 7:00 a.m.? I don't want to go without eating at all until 2:00 p.m.

Wisdom teeth removal is totally different from person to person.
    Some will do exactly what you are worried about- terrible pain, swollen face, laid up for a couple of days.
    But then my SIL went and had three CUT out and went back to work the same day. Hope you have a good experience.

As far as eating- IF you eat anything, make it very light early in the AM. You will be knocked out, and it would suck if you have a reaction to the meds.

Let us know how it goes.
    "The older you get, the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N." Wooderson, "Dazed & Confused"

I had three of my wisdom teeth removed and had no problems at all. They came right out and I barely noticed they'd done anything. They didn't have to put me under and I didn't have to use pain killers. THEN, the one I was avoiding (I'd chickened out on it the day of surgery because they'd told me it would be a huge ordeal) finally caught up with me and I had to have it removed. I had to be put out, they had to cut and grind it away from my bone, I had a dry socket afterwards, and the whole ordeal was painful and horrible.

So, basically what I'm saying is that it can go either way, depending on your situation. I'd say definitely eat some fruit or oatmeal early in the morning (something easy on your stomach) because if it doesn't go well, you wont be able to eat solid food for days. Also, if you use a damp tea bag on your socket for a little while when you get home, you're less likely to develop "dry socket".

Good luck. It's never as bad as you imagine it will be.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Thanks for your help.

So, from what I understand, the best ways to avoid getting dry socket are:
    -Not sucking anything, like by using a straw
    -Rinsing several times with an anti bacterial wash like listerine
    -Not getting any food stuck in the holes, so eat soft foods that can be swallowed easily
    -Avoid eating or drinking hot liquids or foods

Anything else?

and your dentist should give you something like amoxicilan to prevent dry socket, or help the results of it. (I don't remember which)
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

They also say to not smoke, if you're a smoker, which helps avoid dry sockets.

I had all of mine out when I was in college. They knocked me out, took 'em out, and sent me home with my mother and medication. My face was a little puffy, but I spent a couple of days on the couch and was fine -- the worst parts for me were just getting sick of soft foods (I finally demanded french fries, which I spent half an hour nibbling with my front teeth) and having to squirt water into the holes every night to wash them out. Ew.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I had all four wisdom teeth cut out in my mid-20's and asked to be knocked out. I started coming to right when he was finishing up. I didn't feel any pain but I could "feel" and hear him cutting the last one out. My bottom ones were coming in sideways and were starting to cut through the gums and the top ones were up there and didn't cut through the gums yet but I told him to take them all now so I wouldn't have to do it again.

I didn't have dry sockets but my face did swell up and my surgeon only gave me Tylenol-3 for the pain. I was hoping for the good stuff but he never prescribed me any and I was too dumb at the time to ask. Needless to say, it was not a strong enough painkiller for what I went through. I was in pain for a few days at least. And he gave me this squirt dispenser to fill with some sort of solution (salt water maybe? It was so long ago I forgot) to squirt into the holes to get the food out. I know it sounds yuckky but it kept the holes clean and I had a fear they would start to close with food in them so I kept them clean religiously.

One thing I did develop was chafing around the openings of my mouth. Imagine chapped lips but it was around my lips, not on them. I guess it was from my mouth being propped open for so long during the surgery. I kept lip balm on the sore areas and it healed up.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 02-04-2006 at 04:34 PM.

My wisdom teeth were an easy removal in the dentist office. None were impacted. The only reason they were removed is my mouth is too small for 32 teeth, let alone four extra.

Laura, the only advice I can give you is don't smoke if you do, that does cause dry socket. Also, make sure when you take your medication you are at home so that if you feel sick you are near the toilet. Plus, when the pain pills knock you out you can be comfy in your own bed.

I had all mine taken out at once. I was put under and used some pain meds afterward. Yes, it was a little painful for a while, but in the long run, my mouth feels so much better. I didn't realize how much they were bothering me until they were taken out.

Good Luck!

+ Reply to Thread