+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Surgery?

I just had some minor surgery yesterday. I have icky ugly stitches, in my face no less, but they will be gone next week.

Eva, was the tubal ligation the rough surgery? I'm considering it but I'm a little nervous.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    I just had some minor surgery yesterday. I have icky ugly stitches, in my face no less, but they will be gone next week.

Eva, was the tubal ligation the rough surgery? I'm considering it but I'm a little nervous.

I PM'ed you. But my wisdom teeth was worse. I'd get my tubes tied again and keep my teeth if I could~lol.

When I was a kid, I had to have six permanent teeth extracted because my teeth wouldn't all fit in my mouth. That barely even slowed me down. I had some impacted wisdom teeth extracted last year and my experience was like Amanda's. No pain, piece of cake. However, my mom had her wisdom teeth removed a week later and she puked blood and was in tremendous pain for days. Luck and your individual pain tolerance plays a big factor, I think. I was also given local while she was given general. Don't know if that makes a difference. Good luck.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I had an impacted wisdom tooth extracted a few years ago. I had novacaine and nitrous oxide. The procedure wasn't bad at all, but I developed dry socket, which was kind of painful. The best part of the whole thing - Tylenol w/codeine. Mmm codeine.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

I had 4 baby teeth removed in the 9th grade, by an oral surgeon, because my orthodontist was tired of waiting for them to fall out. Then, I had the corresponding 4 adult teeth pulled by the oral surgeon because there wasn't enough room in my mouth. I had my 4 wisdom teeth pulled a few years later. My eldest son has been blessed by evolution--the orthodontist reports that he was born with no wisdom teeth at all. He just does not have them anywhere in there at all, lucky boy.

I've also had two hernia surgeries. I had the first after the birth of my 3rd baby. My tummy got too big while pregnant and essentially popped a hole. The hernia repair popped open when I was pregnant with my 4th baby, so I got that fixed a few months later.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda
    I had my wisdom teeth out several years ago, and all 4 were impacted. General anesthesia, no pain pills beyond Tylenol, and in a few days it was like it never happened. Not a big deal at all. The hardest part was not smoking for those first couple of days, because apparently there's something called dry sockets which are supposed to be unbelievably painful. Other than that, it was a piece of cake.
    DjDeluxay, have I got advice for you....hope it's not too late. I've had 9 surgeries , yes 9 surgeries, and that's not counting the 4 wisdom teeth I've had removed. General anesthesia makes me nauseous, so fortunately you won't have to go thru that. But as Amanda mentions above, watch out for dry sockets. Had those on all four and I was miserable. My doctor never mentioned this to me, so I went thru the entire weekend suffering needlessly. (I thought the pain was normal). I called him Monday am, and he had me come in to put some clove-type gauze in them and it was instant relief. SO, if you've got extraordinary pain, DON'T WAIT. CALL HIM. Another piece of advice, they also gave me percodan, and I got hives everywhere. They changed me over to something else and I was fine, so watch for itchy skin reactions to the percoset. With all the surgeries I've had, I am a walking patient dictionary. Ask me anything, I've probably been there, done that. Good luck, things will probably go smoothly and you'll be eating ice cream soon!
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Another piece of advice is to use teabags to slow bleeding and ease discomfort. There is something in the called tannins (I think ) that promotes healing. Some oral surgeons even reccommend using tea bags instead of gauze.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Stargazer, you're right! I forgot about that......good advice.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I'm with FH, I was high on T3's for three days after I got my wisdom teeth out. Ah, the bliss of being in pain and just...not caring.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Angel boy
    I had oral surgery to remove 4 wisdom teeth several years ago. I was prescribed Vicodan, but when I got dry sockets even 2 pills didn't ease the pain and they then gave me Demerol. That's some good stuff.

2 months ago I had gall bladder surgery, and I was in the hospital a week having tests run. They shot Demerol into my IV every 4 hours....that was awesome!!

Probably sometime in January, I'm having jaw surgery to correct the alignment. They will give me Demerol again, since I "do so well with it!"

Good luck and let us know how you are doing!!
    America- love it or leave it!

+ Reply to Thread