+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Contact Lens Wearers--help!

MalibuPam
    Another trick - when placing the contact on the eye, use an ever-so-slighty-gentle upwards motion, which will help the contact come off the finger, and keep the lense up high enough that it won't catch on your lower lid
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Contact lenses cannot go behind your eye. It may feel like the contact is behind your eye, cuz you can't find it. A thin, but strong, membrane, called the conjunctiva, lines the inside of your eyelids and curls back on itself to cover the white part of the eye. Lenses cannot pass through it. However, your contact lenses may slide under your eyelids or become displaced. If this happens, try looking in the direction of the lens to get it to move back to the correct position. If you wear soft contact lenses, they will tend to center automatically on the cornea.
    Last edited by Zaaam; 09-21-2004 at 02:54 PM.
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

I gave it one more try last night and I got . . . a twitchy eyelid! Ever since last night, my lower left lid has been spasming. It's driving me nuts. Did I say I have sensitive eyelids or what?! I don't think I'll ever touch my eyes again. :phhht

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuPam
    Yes, Toric, not Taurus. I shouldn't have thrown out the package until I knew what I had. I have a slight astigmatism too, so that makes sense.
    Ah, my husband has astigmatism and he has much trouble with contacts, too. Also, he says that he can not really look downwards because the lenses "drop" out of place and he can't focus. It took him a while to get used to contacts (he has had them for 2 years now, he tried some maybe 10 years ago, but couldn't handle them back then.) He wears the brand SunSoft in the eye that has astigmatism, guess they work ok, but he had to go back and have them recheck the prescription after the first day of use (it was difficult to find the exact prescription that worked with his astigmatism, you might want to check your prescription if it seems not to hold in eye no matter how you try). Practise makes master, though, so you just have to try (I know my husband took a long while to learn to put them on without much trouble, and he was asking the same questions as you are asking now).

Personally I can put contacts on now without looking in mirror if needed, and I have no trouble touching my eye ever so slightly moving the contact to right spot and getting air bubbles out. I usually put the contact lens first slightly below where it belongs, and slide it upwards (again, to help get the air bubbles out), then I close my eyelid and press slightly to get the last air bubble out if there is one left.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Rab
    It was really embarrassing for me to visit the eye doctor and then take a half hour to finally put in my soft contacts. The lady told me to look away right before the contact touches the eyeball. I find my way easier and that is looking directly in front of you. It works almost everytime compared to dropping the contact onto the bathroom counter cuz I have no idea where my finger is moving.

I forgot to take my contacts out one night and when I woke up the huge amount of pus almost blinded me. Yeah it was real nasty seeing all these globs just laying on top of your eyes in the mirror.

As a contact lens wearer of about 7 years (damn I feel old), I've mastered the art of putting in and out my contacts by my bed with no mirrior and really just not flinching.. I've learned all the tricks and done probably things you shouldn't do with contacts (though one where a girl picked one up off the bathroom floor in a commerical was not something I could relate to.. yuck).. I really like my Acuvue 2's.. and if you are able to get that brand, I'd recommend them to anyone.. they are larger sized but really that doesn't matter of how they feel.. But they are also larger and makes them less noticable, because people instantly think I have colored contacts when they learn I wear them because my eyes are so blue (no, my eyes are that color, thanks.. )... they are two week disposables.. and while I don't recommend doing it, I've done it for a while, and I wear my contacts a bit past what I am supposed to, but the eye doctor scared me with protein in my eye lids.. yuck..

Anyway.. if you feel like the contacts are irriating your eye, do this.. it always works for me.. Take the contact like you would right-side up and all on your finger like you are about to poke yourself.. Take some solution and fill it about 3/4 full with solution, its not much considering the contacts aren't that big... then proceed to put it in your eye.. this will add some comfort to your eyes so its not just plastic touching your eye.. you will get an effect like you are crying though as you blink and the contact kind of flattens out.. but really I think this is the most comfortable thing you can do if contacts are irritating your eyes...

If you are having trouble getting it in your eye in the first place, honestly, it just requires practice.. it does require some cordination to get your finger to steadily come to your eye when you aren't realy looking at it.. and doing it in a way that the contact doesn't flop over half way to your eye, hit an eye lash, etc..

If your contacts feel like they sting when you first put them in, not so much from the contacts themselves... you may want to try a different brand of solution.. some of them can be really harsh feeling and never put contacts in from the package to your eye, you got to rinse them with what ever solution your eyes are used to otherwise you have the same problems...

I will tell you, that from what I understand from friends colored/strange eye design contacts can be really irritating and I wouldn't ever recommend these to a first time lens wearer.. From what people tell me, they are much more irritating to the eye in general, and you can even see like you are looking through a kind of colored seran wrap thing where you see, but its all the color of the contact, blue green yellow or otherwise..

Oh, unless designed to be worn while you sleep.. NEVER Sleep in them.. Always leave in solution for at least a few hours a day (usually while you are sleeping!) and really be weary of stuff on the contacts before you put them in.. little dust, or protein that looks like dust = bad.. hair/eyelash = bad... anything else, most likely = bad..

Let's see.. I think thats it for my contact lens briefing.. but really, I could probably tell you anything about them...
    Big Brother 16: The Alliance - Come See the Fun in the Big Brother Forum!

I've worn contacts for 32 years - my incentive to get them was so I could wear false eyelashes in the early 70's. I lose them in my eye all the time - I rub a lot. The easy method to reposition them is to swivel your head in front of a mirror until you can see the contact. Put your finger on the eyelid behind the contact with a little pressure and slowly swivel your head down until it is back over the pupil. Sometimes it will pop out, though, so be sure the drain is closed! I was on a high school field trip once where people were throwing ice after a supper stop. A girl stood up to tell them to stop because someone could get hurt and a clown threw ice at her - shattering her contact in her eye. We had to go to an emergency room and wait on the bus forever while she was taken care of.

*bump*

I'm considering buying contacts online. I know people do this, I have my prescription, I just don't have any idea which sites are good and reputable and which might not be. Anyone have any recommendations?
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    *bump*

I'm considering buying contacts online. I know people do this, I have my prescription, I just don't have any idea which sites are good and reputable and which might not be. Anyone have any recommendations?
    I've use 1800contacts.com before without any problems. Just make sure that you have your eye doctor's contact info when you place the order since they verify the Rx. Also, if your prescription is over one year old they probably won't fill it.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

I've been wearing contacts for almost 20 years. The way I learned to put them into my eyes initially was to put a mirror face up on the counter. Lean over the mirror so you're looking directly down into the mirror, and slowly bring the moist contact towards your eye. It took trying this twice before I could get the darn things into my eye, but I haven't had a problem with them since. I pull them out of my eyes on our speed boat while I waterski, and then pop them back in when I'm finished skiing (I do put them in the container in the meantime though) all without a mirror - just watch out for wind when you do this!

Buffy: What is this?
    Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too. ("Gingerbread")

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast