+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Contact Lens Wearers--help!

in banana world
    MalibuPam, maybe you should try different brands. I have been wearing contacts for years, and I've used the same brand since day one because the other ones just don't fit the same in my eye. Some contacts are also softer than others, and I would recommend some that are not too soft because I find that the softer they are, the trickier they are to put in and also to remove.

I'm a very happy contact lens wearer for many years, and I highly recommend it. I think contacts make your life so much easier, and you'll feel great without glasses.
    So don't give up on it, and I suggest you try different brands and types. I use Optima FX, to me they are the best, they are soft but not TOO soft, they stay put and they're nice and comfy. The worst by far has been Acuvue to me, way too soft and wiggly.

I hope it all works out for you! Let us know!

Fort Member
    Guttmutter, thats exactly how I do it too. I have been wearing contacts since I was 15 I vaguely remember having slight problems at first but after I relaxed and tried it at home a few times by myself without my mother and doctor standing over me I was fine. I have to wear the hard lenses as my astigmatism ( i have probably spelt that wrong) is too severe for the soft lenses and they only go up to a certain range. I still have a pair of glasses for after a long night or on a weekend when I just cant be bothered. My contacts are great because I can now wear regular sunglasses, play sport, go dancing without my glassess slipping, drink hot tea with out getting fogged up I know there are much more reasons. I can also not have laser surgery, I enquired about it but at my age they said it would be a waste of time as I would need glasses again very soon. Oh and the best part I have Peripheral vision with my contacts and I dont with my glasses. I do remember the first time I put the contacts in I kept brushing the side of my face as I thought there was something on it before I realised that what I was seeing was my nose, I had never been able to see it before.

Thank you everybody for you advice. I tried again last night. A few times, I managed to get the lense turned inside out on my finger, but I never got the darned thing in. I'm beginning to wonder if this just isn't for me. I think the lenses are Taurus or something like that. They seem really big. I like to think there's nothing I can't do . . . but . . . I might have to change that to there being just one thing I can't do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    Always make sure your drain is closed!
    My sister got hard contacts in high school (eons ago ), and it went down the drain. Being an idiot, she turned on the water thinking it would float back up the drain, I kid you not. And no, she's not a blonde.

WARNING: Don't read if you are quick to be queasy.......
    I don't wear contacts, but last year I woke up with a sudden eye infection. Went to the doctor, he put me on an antibiotic, but I was having trouble getting rid of it. A few days later, after staring into my lighted make-up mirror for hours, I saw a little hair in the corner of my eye. I pulled.......and pulled......and pulled.....and lo and behold, one of my own hairs (not an eyelash) had at sometime, somehow found it's way behind my eyeball!!!! I was screaming and freaking out as I was pulling it out. I'm freaking out typing about it now. Remember, I warned you.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Rose...but didn't it feel soooo good to get it out?

Pam, don't feel bad. My former optometrist used to fit contacts for a pro hockey team, and he told me that a big, burly hockey player actually passed out in his office the first time he tried to put his lenses in.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Dancing along the border of turbulence and order
    Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    WARNING: Don't read if you are quick to be queasy.......
    I don't wear contacts, but last year I woke up with a sudden eye infection. Went to the doctor, he put me on an antibiotic, but I was having trouble getting rid of it. A few days later, after staring into my lighted make-up mirror for hours, I saw a little hair in the corner of my eye. I pulled.......and pulled......and pulled.....and lo and behold, one of my own hairs (not an eyelash) had at sometime, somehow found it's way behind my eyeball!!!! I was screaming and freaking out as I was pulling it out. I'm freaking out typing about it now. Remember, I warned you.
    Oh, my gosh! That happened to me, too, when I was a teenager. I was at the movies, and my eye really hurt. I spent the next hour or so rubbing my eye. Then I finally felt the hair and pulled...and pulled...and pulled. It was the grossest feeling I've every had. It felt like my eyeball was going to pop out if I pulled too hard. My hair was pretty long at the time. YUCK!

MalibuPam, don't feel bad! I am a wimp with my eyes, too. I don't need contacts (thankfully) but if I did, I could never wear them. I can't even put in eye drops because I don't like things coming at my eyes! I have to tilt my head back, put a big drop on my eyelashes, and then blink and let the solution fall into my eyes.

I thought I'd outgrow that but now I am almost a 23 year old woman and still can't do it. I won't be touching my eyeballs anytime soon!

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    I had a hard time putting on mine the very first time I had my contacts. I was nervously trying to poke my eyes when my father was screaming for me to hurry up as he had to run more errands. The man doesn't seem to understand.

Pam, I have always had the deep fear of getting contacts because I knew I just couldn't put it on my eyeball. But I'm vain. and thus had to overcome the fear. It was hard the first few times.. but I got the hang of it. Don't give up yet! Next time, you pop it in 2 minutes or less.

The lenses going to the back of the eyeball. My friend did tell me her story once and thus I made sure I don't fall asleep wearing contacts unless it's a quick nap. It is really scary, makes my skin crawl. It does come out in the end right?
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar
    Don't feel bad, it isn't easy learning to put them in. I've had mine since I was 13, and only out of the sheer will of not wanting to wear glasses to high school did I manage to learn how to put them in. It took a month, but I did do it. You have to not be afraid of touching the inner part of your eye/eyeball. I take the middle finger of my left hand and open the top part of my eyelid and pull it gently up, and then hold it there with my 4 th finger of that hand, with the right hand (4th finger) I pull down the lower lid while I insert the contact onto my eye with the middle finger. Make sure you are holding the eye open thoroughly and that the contact is moist and not dry.

I know it's hard and does take plenty of practice. i hope it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Rose...but didn't it feel soooo good to get it out?
    Yes! gagi, so you've been there, too. At the time, I didn't even know that could happen....I'd never heard of it before.

I can relate to you who have talked about flinchy eyes. Fortunately for me with the hair situation, my eyes are not particularly sensitive. I can easily get eyelashes, pet hairs etc., out of my own, but my husband is another story. Whenever he gets something in his eye, I have to practically sit on him to help him get it out. Come to think of it, maybe he's just been making this stuff up.....if you know what I mean.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast