+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Ebayers Out there? Paypal Question

Kaicee, not to go all sappy on you or anything, but I think the nicest thing you can do for your friend is exactly what you've been doing...and that's just continuing to care about her and be her friend.

But if you want to be sneaky, hell, just have someone else bid on her stuff and then pay them later.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by applesauce
    I may be wrong but if you send money through paypal, your name will show up at some point whether it's on a statement or something. Wouldn't it?
    You are right, applesauce. She will get an e-mail saying "KaiCee has sent you $amount via Paypal" I don't know of any possible way to send money by Paypal without the recipient knowing who sent it.. it's part of the tight security at Paypal. You can't even change your password without providing your credit card and/ or bank account number to prove it's your account.

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Well, I finally figured out my friend's "weak spot"....she won't accept money, probably would be offended by any attempt. I write to her all the time and send friend cards, so she KNOWS how much I appreciate her. I just wanted to do something more. So, I appealed to her "weak spot" - she has two grandkids that need clothes. I'm going to watch for deals in her grandkid's sizes and send them to her address. She did agree to that. When in doubt, appeal to the mother or grandmother in us. She and I grew from kindergarten to grandmother-hood together! Gosh, I feel way old now.

Thanks for everyone's help...I really appreciate it.
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

KaiCee - I think that is an excellent idea! It will probably be much easier for her to accept. She seems like such a giving person and as AJane said earlier, your caring and friendship probably mean more to her than money ever could. KaiCee, she is very lucky to have a friend in you.

Bumping this thread for an eBay question. Have any of you used the eBay stores- the kind where you drop off what you want to sell and they take care of it?

The store here takes a 30% cut of what it sells for. I was curious if you have a say in what you would like to sell it for or if once it's at the store, the employees do all that.

I have some stuff I'd like to sell and I shamefully admit I'm more inclined to take the 30% hit if it means less leg work for me. I'm not trying to score the big bucks, just figured I'd try and get a little dough for something I was most likely going to give away for free.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I actually used to run a store like you are talking about, I have an Aunt in the Chicago area with one also. Yes you can ask for a minimum price to be charged. It means you will have to pay more for listing fees, unless they include unlimited listing fees in their 30%. If for instance you had a pair of Doc Martin Boots and you wanted to get at least $49.99 for them that would be a relatively small fee, but if it was a Tomas Kinkade oil framed and wanted at least $699.99 for it that would be significantly more. eBay charges a fees based on the starting price and on the reserve price as well as a commision on the price the item sold for. Hope this helps!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    KaiCee, your friend sounds like an amazingly generous and kind person. And your posts lead me to believe you are as well. Along with the items for her grandchildren, maybe you want to include a little something specifically for her--while she won't accept any money from you, I'm sure she wouldn't return a box of premium loose leaf tea or a tin of gourmet cookies/biscuits (or whatever she likes)--something that says you're thinking of her as well. If that makes you feel better, I mean. It sounds like she honestly just wants to make you happy, but I get the feeling you'd feel better acknowledging her genorisity. And if she says you spent too much--say what I always say to my parents--"I got it on sale! It was almost free!:

speedbump:

I had to admit I've never used E-bay or paypal. That's not to say it isn't good. I just don't get some of the hoops you need to go through to sell things which I would think you could do easily in a garage sale or listed in your local newspaper ad. If you just want to get rid of it rather than make money, I'd give it to a friend or donate it to Goodwill.

I know. I have to get with the times. I do like the idea of the Ebay store though. As long as it's not big furniture that I'd have to move there. Do they pick large items up?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Do they pick large items up?
    You can find trading assistants and stores right on eBay, they are organized by zip code, you can get their services and their rates right from there also. I did offer a pickup service, I charged a small fee if they were out of my county, maybe $10 per trip. I had one woman I sold things for who lived about 40 minutes away and I made four trips to her place. She had me move steamer trunks and a piano. Some people will be willing, some not so much.

Thanks for the information and suggestions Corine and misskitty. I'm going to swing by the store and ask a few more details.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12