+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Free!

Free!

Are you ever lucky enough to get something for FREE? For some reason, I keep finding FREE things, without even looking.

An interesting thing here around the Bay Area. People often put stuff out in front of their house with a big FREE sign. Really good stuff! You just have to be lucky enough to drive by at the right time. While driving through a residential neighborhood today, I see this awesome vintage office chair with beautiful chrome legs and casters. FREE! and in great condition. I will use it to go with my FREE vintage metal (we're talking at least 200 lbs.) desk that our neighbor put out in front of their house. (I've priced the desks for about $900-$1200 in vintage shops.) Some other free items I've found in the past year are a pair of 1940's velvet chairs that are absolutely gorgeous, a never used top of the line golf bag for my husband, a matching set of 4 teak 1950's dining chairs, and 2 1950's teak nightstands. All found while minding my own business driving down the street and all pretty expensive to buy in the vintage shops. My husband always jokes that I leave to go get groceries and come home with a car load of furniture.

So, what things have you been able to get truly for FREE?

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Zaaam and I have a friend that buys new things ALL THE TIME for her condo. It's pretty cool, cause we always benefit from it..she gives it to us for free and NEVER takes or wants $$.

Just yesterday we got a new coffee table from her made of maple. It's nice, and she said she paid $350 for it. She had to get rid of it right away cause she wanted her VERY nice new one in it's spot.

We're not sure if we totally like it, but geez.. it's FREE! No brainer in just taking it and seeing if it looks good. Typically when we get something from her, if we don't like it..we'll give it away free as well. I can't see us turning around and profiting off of free stuff.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I used to email to food companies and tell them how much I loved their product, and sure enough there comes a package with all kinds of free stuff. ie; coupons for free BBQ sauce, T-shirts...The Sauce Is The Boss
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

I've been lucky enough to win free tickets to baseball games (seats directly behind first base) 5 years in a row.
    Gustav Holst was right!

I live in NY, and often get free things.

While working at Bloomies buying offices, the European mens division decided to unload last years samples, got 4 nice leather jackets, christmas was great that year.

Also while working there, got full Ralph Lauren bed sets, shower curtains, nice nautica towels etc. All as 'gifts' from other departments when I moved into my first apartment.

Got a numbe rof CD's from people who worked at Elektra, books galore (10 boxes worth) from Harper, they let me ship what I wanted to my house for a while, lost my contact there though

and now have a friend whose brother works in the garment industry so she's given me about 5 nice business blouses, and says they're preparing for winter so sweaters will come soon.

Also had a woman who abandoned her apartment to move to England to be with her internet love, I got first pick of her record collection, she had all the Beatles records, Rolling Stone, etc - child of the 60's, in working condition, I now have way to many records in my house. I also got some nice TV trays.

my nieghbor gave us a floor freezer, and the other nieghbor gaveus a coffe table and two end table with glass tops and a bbq grill for outside cause he bought a new one for 900.00 dollars
    what a long strange trip its been....www.thebookwiz.com/83634

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    I've won some small stuff - like $100 from the radio station, Jazz (basketball tickets), just crap like that. I don't mean to belittle cash, don't misunderstand. But the best was when my then-husband won a trip for 2 (that's me!) to Hawaii, all expenses paid. He also won that from the radio station. I guess I'll be their charter lifetime listener. I like to give back a little sompm-sompm.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaaam
    I used to email to food companies and tell them how much I loved their product, and sure enough there comes a package with all kinds of free stuff. ie; coupons for free BBQ sauce, T-shirts...The Sauce Is The Boss
    I am so on that! Orville Redenbacher, here I come

Quote Originally Posted by Zaaam
    I've done that, but complaining about a product, not praising it. It works the same...I guess you could just write a nice letter or a whining one, depending on your mood.

I'm happy today because I got a fistful of shampoo samples from a hair salon in the mall that was having a grand reopening.

ETA: I forgot, the best thing I ever got for free - well, my husband, actually - he won tickets for a Sarah Brightman concert, her La Luna tour. The best live music show I have ever seen.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I got Don Henley tickets free and Styx tickets also (but I was much more excited about the Don Henley tickets)
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 1234567891011 ... LastLast