+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Free!

MRD

Re: Free, and sort of free stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3419499;
    . . . and KEEP THEM THE H*** OUT OF PRIMARILY ADULT RESTAURANTS until they learn that lesson! (Until then, stay at McDo and Denny's!)

Not long ago, DH and I were at Rock Bottom Brewery. BREWERY. A beer place. That also serves food, by the way. You'd think it would be for adults. That's what we thought, anyway. Silly us. There was this family with demon-spawn kids running and screaming -- and the parents and grandparents pussy-footing around them saying, "Oh now sweeties, iffin ya'll don't behave, you won't get any dessert." Guess what. The little "sweeties" didn't behave -- at least not for more than ten seconds. And guess what else. They also each got big dishes of ice cream at the end of the meal. Yeah. One needs a license to drive, but any moron can take his/her kids anywhere. And the waitstaff/management kowtows to these people. (I don't know why, either, since they're, on the whole, cheap tippers . . .)

On the other hand, we haven't found this sort of problem at all at the wine bars / wine tasting places that serve food. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who gets our business (and tips!) now.
    That's the same problem we had, it was a beer place.

I have no problem with kids that behave, but it seems that more and more the parents ignore the children and they don't behave.

And the screaming actually hurts my ears. I can't take screaming. I'm better with kids running around than actually screaming.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3419499;
    And the waitstaff/management kowtows to these people. (I don't know why, either, since they're, on the whole, cheap tippers . . .
    What do you base that assumption on? I've been in the business 40 years and have found there are no guarantees when it comes to tipping. If a server goes in with the attitude they're going to get stiffed or not tipped well I can promise you 9 out of 10 times that is what happens. I've found quite the opposite regarding "these people". Large families usually tip my servers very well for all the extra work they have to do. I like to think we "kowtow" to all customers with no prejudice towards any.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3420331;
    What do you base that assumption on? I've been in the business 40 years and have found there are no guarantees when it comes to tipping. If a server goes in with the attitude they're going to get stiffed or not tipped well I can promise you 9 out of 10 times that is what happens. I've found quite the opposite regarding "these people". Large families usually tip my servers very well for all the extra work they have to do. I like to think we "kowtow" to all customers with no prejudice towards any.
    Speaking from my point of view as a parent who occasionally takes my child out to dinner, I am a good tipper and always have been as long as the service was good. My friends with kids are the same way so I don't think it is fair to paint with a broad brush groups that are good or bad tippers.

Re: Free!

If we go out with my husband's family, it's six or seven adults and at least three kids aged 9 months to 10 years, sometimes with an extra cousin or two thrown in. Any server who waits on us gets a very big tip because the kids are always messier than the adults (particularly a young baby) and it's far more work to wait our table, period. The kids can't learn proper restaurant behaviour until they actually sit and eat in them on a regular basis. My parents always took me & my brother out at least monthly, starting when we were quite small. By the time we were school-aged our manners were pretty good, though I think we might have kicked each other under the table a time or two.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

My in-laws have been out of the country for several years so it's been a while since I've eaten out with my MIL, but she was a very bad tipper. It didn't matter if the service was great, fair, or bad, she traditionally only tipped a couple of dollars, and no matter what the bill. I had to start saying "since you're paying let me leave the tip" just so that I could deflect this. I think I asked her once about her tipping but don't remember what she said but I could tell she was set in her ways and a "youngin" like me wasn't going to change her. Anyway, it will be interesting to see if she's changed her tipping habit when she returns.

I think though since this is the Free thread that we should probably move this to the tipping thread.

For the sake of staying on topic, I was surprised when I tried to get a freebie from Walmart.com that the particular item was already out of stock. That's the first time it's happened to me. I think it was for a dog food treat.

I love free samples but hate giving away my life's story to get it.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 04-21-2009 at 08:11 PM.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3420420;
    I love free samples but hate giving away my life's story to get it.
    Isn't that the truth. By the time you're done filling out pages of questionnaires the only thing you're likely to get is an onslaught of junk e-mail.
    CYA

For anybody looking to paint a small room or work on a craft project, you can get a free quart of paint from here:

https://www.glidden.com/promotions/free-paint-giveaway.do

I have some Gilded Pear coming my way in a couple weeks.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3529808;
    For anybody looking to paint a small room or work on a craft project, you can get a free quart of paint from here:

https://www.glidden.com/promotions/free-paint-giveaway.do

I have some Gilded Pear coming my way in a couple weeks.
    I picked Candy Apple
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Spiced Gingerbread -- Thanks for posting this.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

Cool, we were planning to paint our master bath soon. Wild Truffle for me!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

+ Reply to Thread