+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Free!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Free!

I was just coming here to post about the free download of her book! I've downloaded mine!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Free, and sort of free stuff!

I know we can all use it now, so here we go (and a huge shout out to WaPo!):

washingtonpost.com

FreeCycle.org: This nonprofit organization, with a mission to help the environment by not cluttering landfills, matches people who want to give away items with people in the same city who want them.

FreeBirthdayTreats.com: Find out which restaurants give free or discounted meals or services to people on their birthdays.

Kidsmealdeals.com: If you have children, hit this site to find out where they eat for free with a paying adult. If you register and type in your Zip code, you'll get a list of all the freebies close to home.

Restaurant.com: Type in "restaurant deals" and you'll find hundreds of sites offering coupons for discounts and free food.

HomeExchange.com: Want to travel but don't want to pay for a hotel room, especially overseas where the U.S. dollar is still weak? You can swap homes with people across the country and world. Or you can host each other as guests.

Swapstyle.com: Swap clothes, accessories, shoes or unused beauty products.

Avvo.com: Get free legal advice, even anonymously, from an attorney.

Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Re: Free, and sort of free stuff!

Kidsmealdeals.com: If you have children, hit this site to find out where they eat for free with a paying adult. If you register and type in your Zip code, you'll get a list of all the freebies close to home.
    This is also a great resource for childfree people to know which places we wish to AVOID!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Amen to that Ellen, we went to a tap room restaurant late Sat. afternoon. The place serves 127 kinds of beer. It's got good food, but first and foremost, people go for the beer as they've got stuff you've never heard of. They do sampler "platters" of BEER. The entire restaurant is beer themed. We absolutely astonished at the number of people in there with young children and babies. Yes, I know they like to go out too and probably like a beer, but it was rather annoying to have to listen to them screaming when we just wanted to relax with some beer. It's not a family restaurant. It's a bar that happens to also serve food. I doubt I would have taken my child there when she was that young.

As for restaurants.com, I got a $50 gift cert. to a local resturant for $2 last month on restaurants.com.

I have bought their discounted gift cards several times and find them to be a great deal in addition to their free stuff.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member

I don't have the patience for screaming kids in restaurants anymore. I haven't forgotten what it was like when my own kids were little, but now that they're grown and I'm older, it's so nice to have the quiet.

MRD

I know as my child has aged, so has my tolerance for small children decreased. I still like kids, just don't want to hear them scream.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3418103;
    This is also a great resource for childfree people to know which places we wish to AVOID!
    Isn't that the damn truth. I love kids and have one or two with me most of the time but I do not take them to restaurants where adults are trying to have a relaxing meal. There are too many kid friendly places to go without ruining the outing for other adults. And on the occasions when I don't have a kid along, I prefer not to share the experience with your kids, thank you very much. I'm sure that they are just adorable but that doesn't register with me when they're draped over the back of a booth drooling down my back.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3419482;
    Isn't that the damn truth. I love kids and have one or two with me most of the time but I do not take them to restaurants where adults are trying to have a relaxing meal. There are too many kid friendly places to go without ruining the outing for other adults. And on the occasions when I don't have a kid along, I prefer not to share the experience with your kids, thank you very much. I'm sure that they are just adorable but that doesn't register with me when they're draped over the back of a booth drooling down my back.
    That doesn't annoy me as much as the parent ignoring the behavior and letting it continue. The kid is doing what kids do when bored, the parent needs to teach them how to behave in public.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3419495;
    That doesn't annoy me as much as the parent ignoring the behavior and letting it continue. The kid is doing what kids do when bored, the parent needs to teach them how to behave in public.
    . . . and KEEP THEM THE H*** OUT OF PRIMARILY ADULT RESTAURANTS until they learn that lesson! (Until then, stay at McDo and Denny's!)

Not long ago, DH and I were at Rock Bottom Brewery. BREWERY. A beer place. That also serves food, by the way. You'd think it would be for adults. That's what we thought, anyway. Silly us. There was this family with demon-spawn kids running and screaming -- and the parents and grandparents pussy-footing around them saying, "Oh now sweeties, iffin ya'll don't behave, you won't get any dessert." Guess what. The little "sweeties" didn't behave -- at least not for more than ten seconds. And guess what else. They also each got big dishes of ice cream at the end of the meal. Yeah. One needs a license to drive, but any moron can take his/her kids anywhere. And the waitstaff/management kowtows to these people. (I don't know why, either, since they're, on the whole, cheap tippers . . .)

On the other hand, we haven't found this sort of problem at all at the wine bars / wine tasting places that serve food. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who gets our business (and tips!) now.
    Last edited by Ellen; 04-20-2009 at 10:39 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3419499;
    . And the waitstaff/management kowtows to these people. (I don't know why, either, since they're, on the whole, cheap tippers . . .)

When my kids were little we did take them out often as we wanted to aquaint them with acceptable restaurant manners. We did however always take them to family-friendly places. I'm not sure where the stereotype of families being cheap tippers comes from because personally, we always left more than a fair amount for those that dealt with us. I personally hate being in a restaurant with someone who is loud or talking on their cell etc....Being in an "adults only" atmosphere does not guarantee a stress-free dining experience.

+ Reply to Thread