+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 68 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768 LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Your annoying co-worker

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: Your annoying co-worker

pikachu - I'd be ticked off too if this was a planned event and no one had told me. Is it possible that it was a spur-of-the-moment thing that all took place when you were out?

famita - that's too bad that your boss isn't appreciating all you do. My daughter didn't like her first job as an office manager because of her boss, but he was good about giving her bonuses for the things she did that brought extra business into the company. She got $100 for every client she signed while he was out of the office. I'm terrible about bringing up money issues with bosses though, so I don't know what the best way would be for you to bring it up. Is your boss aware of how much you're doing?

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Even if it was spur-of-the-moment, I have a feeling if it had been any other of my co-workers out of the office, they would have waited to have lunch the following week so that person could participate. We've done that before. But because it was just stupid me absent, nobody cared that I wasn't there.

Well, I'm sure not planning on doing anything nice for people in the office again. I'm not even going to sign their birthday cards. And if they come to me with computer problems, I'll let them work it out on their own. Except for my boss, of course.
    Punkin likes this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Aww, pikachu, : I'm sorry the atmosphere at your work is like that. I hope you find a new job soon. (And, look at the bright side: You saved $10+ dollars by not going out to lunch with people you don't really care about.)
    Punkin likes this.

Kip, I believe he is well aware of what I do (his paychecks depend on it). Just got a call back from a resume that I sent out 2 months ago. Sounds promising and hopeful!!

pikachu, keep your head held high-we'll go out for lunch together. You know we'll have more fun!!
    Punkin and Kip like this.

There's a woman where I work who wanted to be the manager of our pharmacy when it was sold to a larger chain. She didn't get the job. Instead, she has latched onto the pharmacist who was made the manager and worked her way into a position of power. She isn't actually in charge. She just thinks so and the manager is allowing her to act on many things because it makes less work for her.

I had my annual review last Friday. When the company was bought out, we all were hired by the new owners at our same positions, same salary, same benefits. That was great. Now we are being told that we are grossly overpaid and to not expect raises any time in the future. I know that there is always room for improvement in anything, but the issues that my manager brought up at my review were issues that I had previously discussed with this other woman. Some were repeated almost word for word what our conversations had been. My manager also said, "WE went through your old time slips." We? I asked her who had been given access to my personal, private work records. She mumbled something and changed the subject.

Needless to say, I was not happy the rest of the day. Just waiting out the time until I could leave. When I left work that afternoon, I turned on my phone, (yes I keep my phone in my purse as per company policy... unlike mini-manager, who has hers in her hand all day, jabbering and texting away) and I had a message about a job that I had applied for back in June or July. It is the perfect job for me. A para-educator position at our elementary school. The hours would be great, no weekends, holidays, snow days, summers off, a great retirement plan. I have an interview today! I'm SO nervous! I'm afraid that I want the job so bad that I'll do something stupid and sabotage myself. So any prayers, kind thoughts, good karma, whatever that you can send my way would be appreciated!
    holly71, Punkin, Ellen and 9 others like this.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

FORT Fogey

Good luck with the interview Lil Bit! As to the "we" comment that disturbed you, don't read too much into it. I've actually sat in management classes before where we were encouraged to use terms like "we" to prevent an employee from personalizing feedback, thinking it's just a manager being irrational instead of "the company" giving feedback. It's not a tactic I like, and it's one that I usually don't use. But your manager may have been told something similar, and not responded to it the way I did. Who knows - maybe your manager didn't agree with the feedback but was being forced to give it, therefore threw in a "we" because he/ she didn't want to attach "I" to something he/she disagreed with.
    Kip likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Good luck with the interview Lil Bit! As to the "we" comment that disturbed you, don't read too much into it. I've actually sat in management classes before where we were encouraged to use terms like "we" to prevent an employee from personalizing feedback, thinking it's just a manager being irrational instead of "the company" giving feedback. It's not a tactic I like, and it's one that I usually don't use. But your manager may have been told something similar, and not responded to it the way I did. Who knows - maybe your manager didn't agree with the feedback but was being forced to give it, therefore threw in a "we" because he/ she didn't want to attach "I" to something he/she disagreed with.
    As a linguist and nitpicky editor (and as an intelligent person), I HATE the use of "we" when the reality is "I."
    It's a cowardly construction.
    CantGetNuf, Kip and AZChristian like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Good luck, Lil Bit. I hope your interview goes really well.

FORT Fogey

Totally agree Ellen! That's why I've never followed that lesson! If I don't have the courage to stand behind the feedback I give, I shouldn't be a manager!
    Ellen likes this.

Good Luck, Lil Bit!! Hope you get it!

+ Reply to Thread