+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 66 FirstFirst ... 135354555657585960616263646566 LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Your annoying co-worker

Re: Your annoying co-worker

The people in my office are great, but the practice of law in general is brutal. I've been doing this for many years now. I'm really thinking of starting my second career. I posted about it last year, but had to put it on the back burner for awhile. I'm ready to pick it up again now. It's going to take a bunch of classes and certifications, but I think it will make me happier. And if not, I can always change my mind. lol
    Kip likes this.

I hear ya on the job hunt, Lil Bit. I never had problems finding a job, and if I got to the interview stage I nearly always got an offer. Then I turned 55 and no amount of education (master's degree, yo), experience or wisdom is convincing employers to hire me. Fortunately, I'm looking while still employed, but I've had half a dozen interviews in the past two years and have had zero luck. Age bias is REAL.
    Ellen, Kip and inthegarden like this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

That's too bad Candor.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Candor, sorry you're having such a difficult time candor. I know that age bias exists, but the job market these days is tough for everyone, though being older makes it even tougher. My son and DIL worked overseas for a year for a large online company. The next job advancement would have been another overseas assignment. They wanted to come back here, so they returned with no jobs. They were 32. My DIL has an MBA from Columbia, and my son has a master's degree in history and has worked for a couple of international companies. It took them 6-8 months to find jobs, and they were pretty much working at it full time. My DIL got her job from going to a networking event for alums of her undergraduate school, and she met someone there who interviewed and hired her. When I had a business, I liked older employees. In general, they have a better work ethic, have a better grasp of language (both written and oral), and have fewer emergencies once their kids are grown.

Debb, good for you for taking steps to move out of a job you don't like.

Thanks Kip. The practice of law has been good to me in many ways, but when your job includes fighting....well, it's pretty stressful. My next career will involve teaching. I hope to teach law or something in the health field.
    Kip and inthegarden like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    My DIL has an MBA from Columbia, and my son has a master's degree in history and has worked for a couple of international companies. It took them 6-8 months to find jobs, and they were pretty much working at it full time.
    That's where I got my graduate degree! I got an MS in journalism as part of a mid-career fellowship, but I attended the business school as well. This was in the booming economy of 1999, when the B-school grads had their pick of six-figure jobs. So, yes, for your daughter-in-law to struggle means that times really have changed. I hope she's happy where she landed.

I don't have a lot to complain about because, as I mentioned, I'm still employed. But it's impossible not to see the difference between seeking work at age 30 and in my 50s, even in a tough job market.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    That's where I got my graduate degree! I got an MS in journalism as part of a mid-career fellowship, but I attended the business school as well. This was in the booming economy of 1999, when the B-school grads had their pick of six-figure jobs. So, yes, for your daughter-in-law to struggle means that times really have changed. I hope she's happy where she landed.

I don't have a lot to complain about because, as I mentioned, I'm still employed. But it's impossible not to see the difference between seeking work at age 30 and in my 50s, even in a tough job market.
    I totally believe you that it's tougher. There IS age bias. Another factor is that when someone's been getting yearly pay increases for years, they want to keep that salary level whereas younger people are often happy to work for less.

Apparently, in the past, Columbia had no problem at all placing their business school graduates with most receiving multiple offers. But in her MBA class, there were several who hadn't gotten jobs by graduation.

My DIL isn't totally happy with her job, but it's okay and will build her credentials. One perk is that they have an office in NYC and she gets sent back there 3 or 4 times a year, and her mother and brother live there.
    candor likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I came back to work after a doctor's appointment today to find all of my co-workers gone and the phones forwarded. They came in a few minutes later and I found out they took my supervisor out to lunch for his birthday. I only found out about it being his birthday this morning when I came in and a co-worker gave me a card to sign for him. Nobody said a thing about going to lunch.

It ticks me off that I wasn't let in on this. I don't remember when was the last time our office went to lunch together. We never did go for birthday back in January after our celebration was called off due to rain.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

I don't blame you for being ticked off. That was rude and thoughtless.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

I'd like to have some people to possibly argue with-my boss is scarcely here and I'm getting tired of feeling like I have to cover for him. I'd love to share the volume of business OR get paid in bonus money for it.

+ Reply to Thread