+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 66 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263646566 LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Your annoying co-worker

Re: Your annoying co-worker

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I had a friend who applied for a job. The information for the interview appointment came with very specific instructions. I don't remember what they were exactly, but it was something like: "Arrive at ____ between 8:05 and 8:10 a.m. Go to the front desk and sign in printing your name in all capital letters. Take a seat in the waiting area. At 8:15 am, go through the red door and down the hall to Room 17. Fill out an employment application. Skip questions 7, 10, and 19....."

I forget everything she had to do, but the point was to see which applicants could follow directions. Only people who followed the long series of steps correctly got to do the actual interview. (My friend made it through.)
    That is awesome! Wish I had thought of something like that when I was hiring people.
    Van Halen got a reputation as being diva's because in their contract they requested that bowl of only green m&m's be in their dressing room. When asked Eddie said it was because their stage equipment had extensive instructions on setting up. One place didn't set it up correctly and it ruined the basketball court it was set up on. So in their contract they had the instructions for the stage set up and then in the middle of it was the request for green m&m's. So when they got to their room if there wasn't a bowl of green m&m's they could assume the stage wasn't set up correctly either.
    Ellen, Kip, beerbelly and 2 others like this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I had a friend who applied for a job. The information for the interview appointment came with very specific instructions. I don't remember what they were exactly, but it was something like: "Arrive at ____ between 8:05 and 8:10 a.m. Go to the front desk and sign in printing your name in all capital letters. Take a seat in the waiting area. At 8:15 am, go through the red door and down the hall to Room 17. Fill out an employment application. Skip questions 7, 10, and 19....."

I forget everything she had to do, but the point was to see which applicants could follow directions. Only people who followed the long series of steps correctly got to do the actual interview. (My friend made it through.)
    I remember those types of applications and / or tests. Usually they said, question 1, read all questions before beginning and the last question said, only answer questions 1 - 5 or something. If you could follow directions, you saved yourself some time.
    Kip likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

This isn't so much annoying as it is funny. Oh, the joy of working with the computer illiterate!

I was preparing to mail out some letters for a co-worker. A copy of the lab results had a cover sheet with an email address on it. I was confused about if I was supposed to email a copy plus send the physical copies to an address not provided or if I was just supposed to email the results.

I asked my co-worker and he said he just needed it emailed, not sent through regular mail.

I thought we had that straightened out so I headed back to my desk and then my co-worker added "Can you email a paper copy, too?"

He obviously doesn't get how email works. You don't send a piece of paper through the computer! You can send them the file electronically and then they can print it out on their end but you can't put a stack of papers in your computer and send them magically through the air to a remote location.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    This isn't so much annoying as it is funny. Oh, the joy of working with the computer illiterate!

I was preparing to mail out some letters for a co-worker. A copy of the lab results had a cover sheet with an email address on it. I was confused about if I was supposed to email a copy plus send the physical copies to an address not provided or if I was just supposed to email the results.

I asked my co-worker and he said he just needed it emailed, not sent through regular mail.

I thought we had that straightened out so I headed back to my desk and then my co-worker added "Can you email a paper copy, too?"

He obviously doesn't get how email works. You don't send a piece of paper through the computer! You can send them the file electronically and then they can print it out on their end but you can't put a stack of papers in your computer and send them magically through the air to a remote location.
    Of course not!
    You have to stick it in the phone receiver & stuff it through the cord & send it to them by phone, the old fashioned way.
    Ellen, pikachu, beerbelly and 3 others like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

For months, I've been having trouble with co-workers moving the rug by the door to the parking lot to prop open the door so they can go out to their car or on break and not have to use their security badge to get back in. Obviously, this is a security risk and the bureau chief has been very alarmed when I've brought it to her attention that people have been doing this. She's sent out emails reminding people that they're not to do this and I typed a sign reminding people not to do it and placed it on the door. Still, just about every day I would find the rug crumpled up behind the door. A few times I've tripped on the darn thing while coming in the door.

Finally, I got fed up and last week, I rolled up the rug and brought it to my cubicle. I figure we don't really need it because you have to come up stairs to get to the door so if you had any mud or grass on your shoes, most of it would come off before you got in the building. So far, nobody's even asked where the rug went to.

Problem solved!
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,

Ha! Good problem solving. We have the same problem at our school with people who take their classes outside for whatever reason. Strictly forbidden to prop the doors open, but they do.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    I remember those types of applications and / or tests. Usually they said, question 1, read all questions before beginning and the last question said, only answer questions 1 - 5 or something. If you could follow directions, you saved yourself some time.
    I had one of those in high school. Teacher said read all instructions before you start answering questions. IF you read all the instructions to the end, the last instruction said "Sign your name at the bottom and turn the test in". I think in our class of 30, maybe 7 of us got it. Definitely a good lesson that has followed me to adulthood - always read the instructions completely first!!
    cablejockey and PGM35 like this.

I don't know if my co-workers are stupid, don't understand me, or just don't like me but sometimes trying to ask them questions is like pulling teeth!

I was updating my Files Received Log with the recent referrals sent out by our referral coordinator. She emails them to everyone in my office plus other people who need the information so that we know to be expecting the file once the field inspector finishes it. I was missing #141. I checked my deleted emails to make sure I didn't accidentally deleted it before getting the information and checked my other email folders in case it got misdirected but I couldn't find.

I went to a co-worker to ask him if he keeps those emails and if so could I look at this one. He told me he prints out the sheets but he didn't volunteer to let me look at this one. He kept giving me the runaround so I went to another co-worker and he didn't seem to know what I was walking about at first. Then he said that he deletes those emails after reading them.

I finally ended up emailing or referral coordinator and asking her to send me the email for that file since I didn't seem to have received it.

Seriously, though, what I was asking was not that hard and shouldn't have taken any time to look up. I don't know why my co-workers have to make things so difficult! Whenever they ask me for something, I do it right then without any question. I would expect the same consideration from them.

pikachu, I'm praying that your job interviews go well and you soon have a whole new group of annoying coworkers to deal with. ;^)
    candor, pikachu, famita and 3 others like this.

I've been very unhappy with my job recently. I work at a pharmacy and we went from being a small, locally owned store to being owned and run by a larger corporation that is based outside of our area. We also merged with another local pharmacy at the time of the sale so the new store has workers from both stores, plus a couple of new people. That change along with all the new that came with being bought out by a chain, has brought a lot of stress in my life. More than I already had, and I certainly didn't need any more. I've been looking and applying for other employment with no success at all. I don't even get interviews. I went back to school and got my degree after I was laid off in 2009, but I never did find a job in my field. I think the problem is I have the training, but not the experience. I don't know if that is why I'm not getting interviews or if it may be because I'm 55 years old. Age discrimination does exist, believe me.

Anyway, like I said, I've been unhappy. I haven't had any actual face to face problems with any of my coworkers. I've just been holding everything in and building a lot of resentment. One day I sat down and had a good, long, heart to heart think with myself and decided that I had better make the best of a situation that I may be stuck in for who knows how long. So, I've been trying to change my attitude. I try to think positively, and I've been actively staying away from all the negative talk at work. I'm trying to get more sleep (by going to bed instead of watching TV or reading late into the night) and I'm attempting to give up my addiction to Diet Coke by drinking lots and lots of water, with a little Iced Tea thrown in. And you know what? I think it's actually working! I'm more relaxed and happier throughout the day. It's easier to deal with our customers and my coworkers. Even the newbie, who I think has been getting special treatment, hasn't been irritating me like she did.

It's not all sunshine and roses though. There's a woman who was a manager at our old store who thinks she's still the manager now, but from what I've been overhearing, corporate is aware of the problem and they will be solving it.

I know there are people with actual coworker problems that can't be changed by changing your own attitude, but I'm just glad that mine appears to be like that. I just hope I'm able to continue this. Keeping the work related stress to a minimum is what I really need, since my home life doesn't seem to EVER get less stress.
    Punkin, Brooks and inthegarden like this.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread