+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 68 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768 LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 680
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Your annoying co-worker

  1. #601
    FORT Fogey CantGetNuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,403

    Re: Your annoying co-worker

    So one day I asked my son to go to the store and get two items. I gave him the list of two items, my debit card along with the pin number, and my car. He came home with one item. I told my husband that is why I don't want to go back to work. I'm convinced at least 75% of the American workforce can't get the job done even when you give them clear directions on what to do and all the tools they need to do it. It's bad enough I have to put up with my son doing things like that and driving me crazy, I can't handle the rest of the country doing it to me too.

    Pikachu I would have a really hard time keeping quiet when they are doing something so silly like washing the scoop after every dip. Yup yup it's stuff like this that makes me want to stay home and become a hermit.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

  2. #602
    FORT Fogey KatesMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Motor City
    Posts
    2,321

    Re: Your annoying co-worker

    Pikachu, your stories for some reason remind me of what Disney did (as told by one of their marketing people). Their employees in the parks were so irritated at all the stupid, irritating questions they would get from patrons through the day, so morale was suffering, as was customer service. To turn it around, someone had the bright idea of turning it into a contest - who could get the most number of irritating, stupid questions in one day - and who could get the stupidest or most irritating question of that day. It completely changed the employee's morale and actually increased customer service - because the employees were actively reaching out to patrons hoping it would result in another stupid question! I'm just wondering if something like that would work for you - try making it into a game to see if each day can beat the day before it?!
    Debb70 likes this.

  3. #603
    Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,767

    Re: Your annoying co-worker

    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    Yup yup it's stuff like this that makes me want to stay home and become a hermit.
    I wish I could! I'd love to pay someone to do my job so I could stay home and watch tv, crochet, play games on the computer, play the keyboard, spend time with my kitties, etc. Or if I could just work from home away from those idiots, life would be so much better!

    It is annoying that people can't follow the simplest of instructions, not just people at work but everywhere. I think some of them do it because they know if they do a good job, you're going to ask them to do more things in the future so if they screw up something easy every time, they know that eventually you're going to stop asking them to do stuff for you.

    Sometimes I wish I could make myself half-ass tasks I don't want to do, especially if I'm doing it for someone else, but my moral compass won't let me do that. I feel like if I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it right, the way I would want it done. The only exception to that rule is cleaning my house. For some reason, I can't motivate myself to get things organized and keep them that way. It's not that I like having a messy house or don't think I deserve to live in an immaculately clean place. I just hate cleaning and spend as little time as possible doing it.

  4. #604
    Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,767

    Re: Your annoying co-worker

    My workplace makes no sense. They've been reorganizing lately and bringing in people from another lab to work in our building. I noticed recently that our outgoing mail boxes had been moved. I asked the assistant in the Bureau Chief's office (who sorts the mail) and she said the mail slots are being gotten rid of. I asked how we were supposed to get mail out to the field inspectors once a month and she said she's still trying to figure it out. In the meantime, we'll have to put all the outgoing mail in her inbox and let her sort it out once a month.

    I don't understand change for no reason so I just asked my supervisor about this and he wasn't aware of it. He said he'd look into it and get back to me.

    We have about 40 inspectors in the field, 4 supervisors, the Bureau Chief, the assistant Bureau Chief, and all the current supervisors in the building (3) who previously each had a mail slot. Plus we're going to have another bureau added with their Bureau Chief so I don't see why they would remove our mail station! Not everyone is in building so we can't just deliver their mail to them as it comes in.

    I'd like to know who made the decision to get rid of the mail station because I bet it's someone who doesn't even work in this building.

  5. #605
    8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,645

    Re: Your annoying co-worker

    Just be sure that it was someone who personifies the Peter Principle . . . and (sorry to sound sexist) it's probably a man.

    The Peter Principle: people will tend to be promoted until they reach their "position of incompetence."
    KatesMom likes this.

  6. #606
    Best Buddies Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nap Time
    Posts
    13,332

    Re: Your annoying co-worker

    Our school district is restructuring an underperforming school by moving half the teachers to other schools and moving other teachers in. With the domino effect, other teachers have to move, too. I'm fine where I am, but it's insane the way they're handling it. For instance one excellent teacher my children loved has been teaching 2nd grade for 30 years. They moved her to 3rd grade (completely different curriculum) even though there were 2 other 2nd grade positions they moved other non-2nd grade teachers into. Are they trying to force her to retire? It goes on and on and people are really upset. And NONE of the teachers were told in person before the list was released district-wide.
    Count your blessings!

  7. #607
    Go Teams! inthegarden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,417

    Re: Your annoying co-worker

    Gutmutter I don't understand the education system at all. It seems to be in a constant turmoil.
    *Hugs* to you and all the other teacher's who keep on teaching.

  8. #608
    Kip
    Kip is offline
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,665

    Re: Your annoying co-worker

    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Our school district is restructuring an underperforming school by moving half the teachers to other schools and moving other teachers in. With the domino effect, other teachers have to move, too. I'm fine where I am, but it's insane the way they're handling it. For instance one excellent teacher my children loved has been teaching 2nd grade for 30 years. They moved her to 3rd grade (completely different curriculum) even though there were 2 other 2nd grade positions they moved other non-2nd grade teachers into. Are they trying to force her to retire? It goes on and on and people are really upset. And NONE of the teachers were told in person before the list was released district-wide.
    Wow, that plan makes no sense to me and the way they announced it shows no respect for the affected teachers.

    If the root cause of that school's teachers are not doing their jobs, then moving them to another school just puts other students in a classroom with an ineffective teacher. If the school is underperforming because a large number of students comes from homes where education is not valued and good behavior is not required, then putting new teachers in there isn't going to solve that problem. Even if they move teachers there who are most effective at controlling unruly kids, I can't imagine it would have much of an effect.

  9. #609
    Kip
    Kip is offline
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,665

    Re: Your annoying co-worker

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    ...
    It is annoying that people can't follow the simplest of instructions, not just people at work but everywhere. I think some of them do it because they know if they do a good job, you're going to ask them to do more things in the future so if they screw up something easy every time, they know that eventually you're going to stop asking them to do stuff for you...
    I had a friend who applied for a job. The information for the interview appointment came with very specific instructions. I don't remember what they were exactly, but it was something like: "Arrive at ____ between 8:05 and 8:10 a.m. Go to the front desk and sign in printing your name in all capital letters. Take a seat in the waiting area. At 8:15 am, go through the red door and down the hall to Room 17. Fill out an employment application. Skip questions 7, 10, and 19....."

    I forget everything she had to do, but the point was to see which applicants could follow directions. Only people who followed the long series of steps correctly got to do the actual interview. (My friend made it through.)
    pikachu, Cornholio and AZChristian like this.

  10. #610
    Best Buddies Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nap Time
    Posts
    13,332

    Re: Your annoying co-worker

    Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Wow, that plan makes no sense to me and the way they announced it shows no respect for the affected teachers.

    If the root cause of that school's teachers are not doing their jobs, then moving them to another school just puts other students in a classroom with an ineffective teacher. If the school is underperforming because a large number of students comes from homes where education is not valued and good behavior is not required, then putting new teachers in there isn't going to solve that problem. Even if they move teachers there who are most effective at controlling unruly kids, I can't imagine it would have much of an effect.
    You hit the nail on the head - no respect for the teachers and you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The school in question is the alternative school where they send kids who can't be in the general population because of their behavior.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.