+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 66 FirstFirst ... 74748495051525354555657585960616263646566 LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Your annoying co-worker

Re: Your annoying co-worker

Maybe there should be Birthday Breakfasts ... before working hours !

Either that or pick one day of the month and let everyone in the group who has a birthday that month "treat" and contribute something to the lunch.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

My office still hasn't rescheduled the lunch we had to cancel because of the rain. A co-worker came to me today lamenting that they're having an awful time trying to set a new date because people are away for conferences and taking holiday time off in the next few weeks. I told him, well, we should have just gone the other day because I was afraid something like this would happen.

Also, I had already put in my request to take time off for the week of Thanksgiving. Today, a co-worker told us we're doing a sign-up sheet for holiday time to make sure the office is covered. I'm a bit ticked because I think it should be first come-first served. I understand that we need to make sure someone is at the office but I'll be extremely upset if I don't get to visit my dad as planned when I tried to make my arrangements early. Hopefully, I'll get approval to go at the time I wanted. I always take my annual leave at Thanksgiving and I'm usually here for Christmas and New Years. Sometimes I'll take off for Christmas or New Years if my Thanksgiving plans fall through or if there aren't too many people taking off either of those holidays but most often I'm here for both.
    Last edited by pikachu; 10-31-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    My office still hasn't rescheduled the lunch we had to cancel because of the rain. A co-worker came to me today lamenting that they're having an awful time trying to set a new date because people are away for conferences and taking holiday time off in the next few weeks. I told him, well, we should have just gone the other day because I was afraid something like this would happen.

Also, I had already put in my request to take time off for the week of Thanksgiving. Today, a co-worker told us we're doing a sign-up sheet for holiday time to make sure the office is covered. I'm a bit ticked because I think it should be first come-first served. I understand that we need to make sure someone is at the office but I'll be extremely upset if I don't get to visit my dad as planned when I tried to make my arrangements early. Hopefully, I'll get approval to go at the time I wanted. I always take my annual leave at Thanksgiving and I'm usually here for Christmas and New Years. Sometimes I'll take off for Christmas or New Years if my Thanksgiving plans fall through or if there aren't too many people taking off either of those holidays but most often I'm here for both.
    As I recall ... choices always went in order of seniority for most companies/work places. So everyone puts in their requests/or signs up ... they are sorted by seniority ... and if coverage is needed ... lowest in seniority gets to cover ... unless some trades are made.

Another thing is unless things have radically changed ... management will always get first picks ... and the worker bees will be guarding the hive.

Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fogey

The places I've worked always do coverage based on first come first serve. For the most part I agree with Pikachu that its more fair. If someone plans far out they should be rewarded over someone with seniority who decides at the last minute they want more time. For a holiday where lots of people are traveling they deserve the courtesy of being able to plan far out.

I never thought about that. We have a blanket policy in our contract that nobody can take off the day before or after a holiday. We have a half day on Weds. before TG, so I've never been able to travel then. But we all have a week off at Christmas, so I always have that off.
    Count your blessings!

I think it's fair to have all employees have their selections in by a deadline .... and then it is more fair to then sort by seniority.

I do not think it would be fair to let the longer term employees step in at the last minute and be favored over someone who had met the deadline.

Some unions have an "order of pick" written into their contracts ... and your number in the order is absolutely based on seniority.

I wouldn't like being forced to always take the week off at Christmas ... but would love being off in the Summer.

Mohandas Gandhi

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

"Work smarter, not harder" is a concept that is lost on my co-workers. I try to help them save some steps in their work and they refuse to learn something new. *sigh*
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I never thought about that. We have a blanket policy in our contract that nobody can take off the day before or after a holiday. We have a half day on Weds. before TG, so I've never been able to travel then. But we all have a week off at Christmas, so I always have that off.
    No time off the day before or after a holiday? OMG, that's terrible. How can an employee maximize the holidays when you can't get extra time? If a holiday falls on Thursday, you take off Friday and then you have the weekend too, so that gives you a 4 day mini vacation. I think that's a great idea. Hmmm......Why does your company not allow it?

It's a school, and we get most holidays off. We get the half day off before TG plus the Friday after, but if you want to travel, you're out of luck. I guess the reasoning is that If you could do it, everyone would and there wouldn't be enough subs to go around.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    The places I've worked always do coverage based on first come first serve. For the most part I agree with Pikachu that its more fair. If someone plans far out they should be rewarded over someone with seniority who decides at the last minute they want more time. For a holiday where lots of people are traveling they deserve the courtesy of being able to plan far out.
    Plus, and this is just me, but I never thought it was right if you planned a vacation months ago to visit family, booked a flight, etc., and then you have to cancel and it falls through because some management prick wants to sit on his couch for a day! During Christmas, before I had kids, I always worked and covered for my partners who had little kids. I just thought that was the right thing to do. And it comes around - now that I have little kids, those same partners whose kids have grown now work so that I can have time off with my kids.
    Kip and Photobabe like this.

+ Reply to Thread