+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Your annoying co-worker

Re: Your annoying co-worker

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I love being retired and reading your posts.

I once had an annoying coworker who refused to take sick time because the company would reimburse individual employees at the end of the year if their accrued sick time was above a certain amount. So he would come to work sick, spread his germs, we'd catch whatever upper respiratory infection was causing him to cough up his lungs, and we'd get sick and stay home. One time I told him that as the department timekeeper (who sat closer to him than anyone), if I caught what he had I was going to charge my sick time to his payroll number. Of course, I couldn't actually do that, but he got the message and actually STAYED HOME for the rest of that particular illness.

I don't miss any of the annoying people . . . those I liked, I'm still in touch with.
    I guess in part of this regard I am an annoying co-worker. Not the company buy out part, but the coming to work with a cold part. I wouldn't with the flu or anything bad, but a cold - absolutely.

First of all, I deal with constant deadlines & confidential company information & financials. If I'm not there, no one can do my work for me. The work waits for me & it backs up. Deadlines can be missed. I don't want to deal with the fallout from that. Just a few days can keep me behind for at least a month, to get caught up.
    When I take vacations, I plan in advance & work like a dog (sometimes on my own time) to be ahead of myself in work, so I won't have as much to catch up. An unexpected illness doesn't allow for that.

Second, I rarely, darned near never, get sick. Thank God for that.
    This Winter I had a killer cold. The first in over 8 years. I had it for just short of a month. At least 2 weeks of it were absolutely miserable. I pumped myself full of over-the-counter cold medicine. Stocked up on Kleenex & cough and throat lozenges. I'm a chronic hand washer anyhow, plus I used Purell constantly. When I used the restroom I took my Purell & wiped down the door handle & light switch & various knobs & handles, before I left the room. I told everyone at work not to answer my phone & I didn't answer anyone else's. I also told them not to touch my keyboard or mouse, or anything at my desk. They were warned. I also did my best to keep to myself.
    Guess what? Even after nearly a month NO ONE caught my cold. If proper precautions are taken, it can be done.
    Only once did someone tell me I should stay home. I answered: "Are YOU going to be the one who does my work while I'm gone? ALL of it?" After that no one said a word.

There are more reasons than trying to get extra bonus money for people to work through a cold. It all comes down to taking as many precautions as possible so as not to pass it around.

I also work with someone who takes so much "sick" time off of work that all her days are used up by March. Every. Single. Year. Everyone including me, has to pitch in to pick up the slack. Then she whines & tries to connive & barter in order to get more time off & so that her pay won't be docked if she does. Then complains when it is.
    I'd way rather see her come to work sick.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I know what you mean Miss Scarlet. I'm a teacher and even when I know I'm going to be out, finding relevant work for sub plans is difficult and if you get one of the idiot subs, forget it. I try to lock as many things in the big supply closet as I can and hide the key because subs will get out any and all art supplies just to make it more interesting for themselves and I don't have the $$$$ for that foolishness. This last week when I was out unexpectedly the key was left out in plain sight. Each day I e-mailed my sub plans to a co-worker to print out and give to the sub and each one started with "DO NOT OPEN THE SUPPLY CLOSET FOR ANY REASON". Sure enough - got back and the closet key was NOT where I left it and the light was on in the closet. This time of year a lot of teachers in the building are doing busy work and want art supplies. My budget is $5/student for 9 weeks of art classes. It is not an open supply closet for the school.
    Count your blessings!

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

The guy to whom I refer didn't just have a cold. I worked through those, too. He had something that was so nasty he ended up tearing the cartilage in his rib because he was coughing so bad . . . running a fever . . . was told by the doctor that he was viral and needed to stay home. For him, it was all about the money, with no concern for others.

But at least he didn't clip his fingernails. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I know what you mean Miss Scarlet. I'm a teacher and even when I know I'm going to be out, finding relevant work for sub plans is difficult and if you get one of the idiot subs, forget it. I try to lock as many things in the big supply closet as I can and hide the key because subs will get out any and all art supplies just to make it more interesting for themselves and I don't have the $$$$ for that foolishness. This last week when I was out unexpectedly the key was left out in plain sight. Each day I e-mailed my sub plans to a co-worker to print out and give to the sub and each one started with "DO NOT OPEN THE SUPPLY CLOSET FOR ANY REASON". Sure enough - got back and the closet key was NOT where I left it and the light was on in the closet. This time of year a lot of teachers in the building are doing busy work and want art supplies. My budget is $5/student for 9 weeks of art classes. It is not an open supply closet for the school.
    How many art supplies did they need to draw that spider?

That is just awful that your co-workers and the subs don't respect your property. Sad.
    Here ... the parents get lists of what the students must bring to school, so some of that cost is covered.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

OMG, the spiders attacking me were SO CUTE! I knew they'd like that challenge.
    Count your blessings!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Boy, the people in my office...It's amazing any of them have a job.

A lady just called who said she's been trying to talk to my supervisor for a week and has been calling and leaving messages but he hasn't called her back.

I asked if she'd like to speak with someone else in my office to see if they could help her and she said fine so I asked one of my co-workers who was sitting around doing nothing (I often find him reading books in his cubicle) and he declined to speak with her.

So I transferred her call to the bureau chief. I figure she can handle it plus get after the people who have been passing the buck and not doing anything about this complaint.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

The people at my work are weird. One lady has a hang-up about going out for lunch in the rain. I don't know why that is because we never sit outside at restaurants and since we work near a mall, there are plenty of restaurants in close driving distance.

We were supposed to take our boss out today for a belated Boss's Day celebration (it was postponed because my co-workers didn't want to go out when everyone else was taking their boss out) but it's drizzling out so our lunch has ben postponed until Thursday.

I outright told my co-workers I thought this was a stupid reason to postpone but I knew they were going to do what they were going to do anyway so I would just skip having lunch with them Thursday. I'm not going to keep changing my lunch plans for their silliness.

It's not like we're having a hurricane or a major lightning storm! My co-worker managed to make it to work this morning so what's the big deal about going to lunch in the rain?? Even if she's too scaredy-cat to go out in the rain, we could have ordered from a restaurant delivery place and had lunch delivered to the office so we could eat in the conference room.

Shoot...I might have to change my mind and go Thursday anyway because if I don't go to lunch with them, I'll have to stay at the office and answer the phones until they get back, and then I'd have to go to lunch much later than I usually go. I guess I have until Thursday to decide if I'm going or not. I just wish someone else besides me would stand up to this lady and tell her she's being unreasonable to want to cancel lunch for a little rain. We should all go on without her today.
    Last edited by pikachu; 10-22-2013 at 09:15 AM.
    AmyKay and Hyper like this.
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

Pikachu, I understand your frustration with the nutty co-worker and if this lunch were not to honor your boss I'd say you made the right decision. But, since it is for your boss, if you don't show up your boss may think it is a statement against her/him! It might be a smarter decision, job wise, to just suck it up and attend the lunch.
    Kip and AmyKay like this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Good point, Photobabe. You're very wise.
    Photobabe likes this.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

pik - Think about it this way. Maybe she knows that witches melt when they get wet. (Wizard of Oz reference)

+ Reply to Thread