+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Your annoying co-worker

Re: Your annoying co-worker

Is there any way you can shift your desk so it's not quite so close to the bathroom?

Maybe you can just sit down and have a conversation with her and tell her what's bothering you. Is she at all approachable that way?

I was going to suggest pretending you couldn't hear her, but then she might start leaving the door open. Talk about going from bad to worse!

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2358493;
    Is there any way you can shift your desk so it's not quite so close to the bathroom?

Maybe you can just sit down and have a conversation with her and tell her what's bothering you. Is she at all approachable that way?
    for some reason, I get a picture of going in the bathroom and sitting down in the next stall and having a conversation with her - captive audience.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

tickerrose, find something to do at that time..like, go get water, or go file something. If you remove yourself from "earshot", after the 3rd time or so...I'm sure she'll just get used to NOT talking anymore. If you don't always want to get up and leave your desk, call someone, a client, your sweety, or call popcorn and listen to it over and over..til she's done!
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I do for the most part ignore her when she is in there. I am not much for yelling back to her, but she just keeps on talking away. She is not so good at the "picking up the vibes people are putting out there" thing. Sometimes when people come into the office, they start up a friendly conversation with her having no idea what they are getting themselves in to. Fifteen, twenty, thirty minutes later a quarter of the way through an endless story about what her dog ate last night or what he barked at during their walk that morning and I see the unsuspecting well-wisher moving twords the door, placing their hand on the door-knob, and giving all those signs that say, "Okay, I have to get going now, it was 'nice' talking to you".....but she does not see it. She keeps on talking and talking and talking.
    I have learned to keep working while she talks. I just keep typing and looking up every once in a while to go "uh huh.....or that's so cute....or Cooper is such a funny dog...."
    She wants to talk all day and then stress that we have to get a newspaper out........
    I think Seinfeld would call her a long talker. (Who sometimes moves the conversation to the bathroom)

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I wonder if you could institute a bell system. When the bell rings, there has to be at least 30 minutes of silence. We all get to that point. When I reach my point, I just tune things out.

Quote Originally Posted by tickerrose;2360286;
    Fifteen, twenty, thirty minutes later a quarter of the way through an endless story about what her dog ate last night or what he barked at during their walk that morning and I see the unsuspecting well-wisher moving twords the door, placing their hand on the door-knob, and giving all those signs that say, "Okay, I have to get going now, it was 'nice' talking to you".....but she does not see it.
    She just sounds clueless, but I've known people that do this deliberately. I've had people stand there yapping away while I hold the doorknob and try to maintain a weak smile, then laughingly blurt out "You want to go don't you?" Now that really makes me angry. I'd rather be detained by someone blissfully unaware of the fact that no one cares about the mundane details of their day, than by someone deliberately holding you up just to see your discomfort.

Another time, I actually heard someone admit (or did I read it in a blog... don't remember now) that they do that on purpose with people trying to taper off phone calls. Each time their victim says "Alrighty, well I guess I'd better..." they re-start the conversation just to see how long they can keep it going. Apparently they get a big kick out of this.

And finally the worst case: I've actually paid people to go away. Well, not specifically for that, but that's what it came down to. Someone once came over, uninvited of course, and began their meaningless jabber. I walked into other rooms, he followed. I turned on the tv, he talked louder to be heard over it. Finally, two hours later when I was literally near tears, he got up and headed to the door. Just as he was leaving, he turned on his heel and said "Oh... can I borrow $20?" Completely worn out, and desperate for it to end, I grabbed my purse and handed over the money. Later I felt miserable for having been duped. He knew that if he'd asked for the money when I was still fresh, the answer would have been no. He deliberately jabbered me into a trembling stupor so I'd be willing to pay anything to make him leave. And this was a relative, someone who supposedly cared for me!

Well that was well over a decade ago. Today he'd be told to shut up and get the hell out my house before the conversation hit the half hour mark. And of course there'd be no money changing hands. I've also mastered the wicked skill of hanging up phones and turning doorknobs instead of just fingering them. On the surface it may seem rude, but people sometimes have to be taught harshly that their behavior will no longer be tolerated.

Our cost accountant, who doesn't have an office, comes into my office whenever he feels like taking a break. He is almost universally disliked, so finds it hard to find someone with whom to have a conversation. He also likes to look out my window. Usually, he doesn't ask for permission, but today he did. He asked if he could look out the window "so that I can see if the grass has grown since yesterday". Sadly, he wasn't joking. I told him that if he could notice the difference then he earned the right to look and tried to go back to work. When he saw that the lawn had been mowed, he got all excited and wanted to know who did the mowing and when. Since the last time that he looked was yesterday, I would have thought that narrowed the window of opportunity. Since we hire groundskeepers to take care of the lawn, it is also unlikely to have been some random person come to practice their mowing skills.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

I Is Stephanie

Aw, that's sad William. Most of my friends are people like that, and I always give them a try. Is there a reason why he's universally disliked, or is it just because?
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

My annoying co-worker has suddenly become clueless as well. She works from home now, and she had work that was due by 3:00. At two she calls and says she is still keying one batch and has three to verify, but they will be done by 3:30. On what planet, I don't know...they take 45 minutes to verify a piece. Anyway, I told her to keep working and I would talk to the boss. Well, he said bring them back so we could get it done in office. When I called and told her he was very angry she actually said "At me?". Um, duh, who do you think?
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread