+ Reply to Thread
Page 114 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1464104105106107108109110111112113114
Results 1,131 to 1,134 of 1134
Like Tree881Likes

Thread: Your annoying co-worker

Re: Your annoying co-worker

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I'm still training the two ladies who are replacing me at my old job and it's going rough. The lady who was recently hired is doing great! She's very sharp and personable so I feel more confident in her abilities. The other lady, though, just doesn't seem capable of grasping what I'm trying to tell her. I don't know if she's not paying attention or if she's just not understanding. She's not even a case of "the lights are on but nobody's home". It's more like the lights are off and somebody's sleeping. All I can do is keep trying and hope that when quarterly report time comes around again maybe she'll learn better by having me do the reports with her rather than having me explain them as I'm doing now.

EEK.

PIK, isn't there a "TIME" frame when your company is training someone .... and if it appears to the Trainer (you) the potentially NEW hire is NOT grasping it ... well then sit them down, tell them that this position is just NOT
    a good match for them. And suggest they look elsewhere .... something along those lines but being more sensitive than what I said.

KAREN

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I'm still training the two ladies who are replacing me at my old job and it's going rough. The lady who was recently hired is doing great! She's very sharp and personable so I feel more confident in her abilities. The other lady, though, just doesn't seem capable of grasping what I'm trying to tell her. I don't know if she's not paying attention or if she's just not understanding. She's not even a case of "the lights are on but nobody's home". It's more like the lights are off and somebody's sleeping. All I can do is keep trying and hope that when quarterly report time comes around again maybe she'll learn better by having me do the reports with her rather than having me explain them as I'm doing now.
    I once worked with someone like that. I was a senior-level administrator and sometimes handed off assignments to other admins.
    I complained to our manager that I didn't think this young woman was ever going to be able to do the job, because I had taught her some tasks at least 10 times, and she was still doing them incorrectly. So on MY performance review, he wrote me up as not being patient enough with co-workers who I thought were not as dedicated as I was!

Next time he needed something done that was within HER job description, he called me in and told me what he wanted done (a 2-page memo had to be typed . . . BEFORE the days of PCs). I said, "I'm really swamped right now, can you give it to her and tell her what you want?" So he did. She did it wrong. He "patiently" explained what was wrong with what she had done and explained to her in what he thought were simple terms how he wanted it done. She re-typed the entire memo. Wrong again. He again went to her and "patiently" explained what she had done incorrectly that time. (This was NOT a difficult assignment.) She re-typed it again. Wrong again.

At this point, he was about to tear his hair out. He called me in and asked me to do it. Again, I told him I was swamped. When he said, "I've asked her to re-do it three times, and she's just not 'getting it.'" I said, "Mark, you need to be more patient with co-workers who are not as dedicated as you are." Then I smiled sweetly and walked out of his office.

We all have different skills. Sounds like your co-worker and my former co-worker are just not good at what the company needs them to do, so the company needs to find something else for them to do, rather than slowing down everyone else.
    dagwood, Brooks, Gutmutter and 2 others like this.
    I'm Paula.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    EEK.

PIK, isn't there a "TIME" frame when your company is training someone .... and if it appears to the Trainer (you) the potentially NEW hire is NOT grasping it ... well then sit them down, tell them that this position is just NOT
    a good match for them. And suggest they look elsewhere .... something along those lines but being more sensitive than what I said.

I was asked before the offered my old position to this lady if I thought she could do it and I frankly said no, I didn't think she would be able to do it. One of the other supervisors also said she didn't think she could do it but the decision was made over our heads. I'm not in the position to hire or fire anyone so I can't do anything about this lady. The last I heard, she's not doing the quarterly reports which are supposed to be part of her job duties. I'm not in that section anymore though so I won't take responsibility for her failure. I hope she eventually gets reassigned and that position given to a more competent person.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Our accountant at work was on my case today about 2 refunds and it was really annoying! In one case, I had sent the company representative a refund application and, for whatever reason, he included my email message in the body of his post with the refund application. The application wouldn't fit on one page, then, so it scrolled over to another page. I figured she wouldn't like that so I copied and posted both parts of the application onto one page and submitted it like that. She didn't like that and repeated to me over and over on the phone "Never, ever, ever, copy and paste on an application!", like I was a moron and wouldn't understand if she only told me once. I hadn't had that situation come up before and I didn't know I wasn't allowed to do that but I do now so I get it!

Then we had a refund that was actually two for the same company. First, she called me up demanding to know why I put her phone number instead of the company's contact number on the application. I didn't know what she meant because I hadn't knowingly done that so I looked up the company information in our database and it was wrong there. After I fixed that problem, then she rejected the application because I didn't have the company's full name on it. It was Howard Fertilizer and Chemical Co, and I just put Howard Fertilizer.

Now she's scheduled a refund application training day for me on Friday. Yeah, I've done 43 refunds and only had these few problems, which I thought were pretty nitpicky, and she seems to think I need to be trained on them? What an insult. I'll do it, though, just to prove that I know what I'm doing.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

+ Reply to Thread