+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 835 FirstFirst ... 38787980818283848586878889909192939495969798138188588 ... LastLast
Like Tree786Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Woohoo! It's good to read a lot of good news going round! Congrats to all, and Gut - glad to hear you're doing so well!

V-A-C-A-TION!!!
    As of 11:30 - I am off work until July 18. One of the little perks of working in the auto industry, is the much anticipated 2 week shutdown - every year in July.
    I am not going away, just taking a much needed rest with the fam.
    Sleeping in until 8am sounds pretty nice, and having breakfast on my deck with the birds chirping is my favorite thing about summer. I will sooooo enjoy 2 weeks of that!

Pom, I missed your good news earlier, so glad to hear about your unexpected bonus.
    Callie, your niece is adorable!
    Glitter, I also missed your good news, but congrats on the job!
    Ana, I'm glad you get some time off to spend with your family.

Pom, congrats on the excellent bonus.

Gut, glad to here everything is going so well. I will keep you in my prayers during your chemo and radiation.

Callie, she is an adorable little baby.

Ana, enjoy your vacation.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bannana
    V-A-C-A-TION!!!
    As of 11:30 - I am off work until July 18. One of the little perks of working in the auto industry, is the much anticipated 2 week shutdown - every year in July.
    I am not going away, just taking a much needed rest with the fam.
    Sleeping in until 8am sounds pretty nice, and having breakfast on my deck with the birds chirping is my favorite thing about summer. I will sooooo enjoy 2 weeks of that!
    Oooh, this is the second time this week I have needed a "jealous smiley". Your idea of a vacation sounds WONDERFUL to me, Ana. Enjoy!

FORT Fogey
    In the “Pet Peeves” thread I mentioned that I get very annoyed by egotistical "professionals" (in my case, I'm thinking of a dentist) who think the rules don't apply to them.

I’d been a patient of my (now former) dentist since January 2002. I’d been giving a good amount of attention to my dental health so I saw him pretty frequently over the ensuing two and a half years. We had a professional but cordial and friendly relationship, and his staff and I got along fine. My bills were always paid on the day of the visit to his office.

In the summer of 2004 he got a new office manager, and she seemed like a real witch to me when I first met her. I met her only once, on my last visit to his office. That visit was my last one precisely because of how this new office manager was with me.

I saw him last summer to get a crown put on a tooth and when the new office manager gave me the quote and took my payment, she insisted that I give her the Personal Identification Number (PIN) for my debit card.

At first I thought I misunderstood her, but the big battle axe insisted that I give her the PIN so that she could process my payment. She swore that she needed the PIN to process my payment.

I refused. I told her that no merchant had ever requested the PIN for my debit card and it was not necessary in order for her to process my payment.

She said if I refused to provide the PIN then I could take my tooth elsewhere, so I started to do just that. I started to leave.

When the dentist’s hygienist saw me heading out the lobby she stopped me. I had known her for two and a half years, too, and she told me that I should stay, ‘cause she would process my payment without the PIN. She was great, and she turned around a very bad interaction that I was having with the new office manager/witch.

Anyway, when I told the dentist of my concerns about his new office manager and her insistence on getting my debit card’s PIN, he neither apologized nor tried to explain away her behavior. It seemed to me that he was perfectly okay with the office manager’s odd request.

The old battle axe must have held a grudge, because after that initial appointment for the crown I never did get in there for the follow up visit.

I paid for almost the entire crown that day but then the office manager never scheduled me for the follow up and nobody from the office returned my calls.

I was locked out, and the only reason I could think of (after enjoying a decent professional relationship for two and a half years) is that the new office manager was ticked that we disagreed over whether I’d give her the PIN, and she decided to blow me off.

Meanwhile, I started getting harassing phone calls and “overdue notices” (with threats of collection activity) for the balance of the crown bill.

That was ridiculous, because the guy never even gave me the crown!!! All he did was prepare the core of the tooth, which came to $285. It was ridiculous and unethical and illegal for him to be billing me for work that he never performed.

When I’d try to call the office to straighten this out and get the follow-up appointment scheduled I’d get put on hold forever and disconnected, and then the calls wouldn’t be returned.

I even tried calling the dentist on his cell phone number, but he wouldn’t return those calls, either. I never called him excessively, but I did give an honest attempt to maintain communication. The lockout was on his end.

I continued to get the harassing mail, though, which insisted that I pay them the rest of what I would have owed them if they actually did the crown. Trouble was, they refused to do the work and they refused to communicate with me.

Finally I had enough and I reported the dentist to the Board of Registration in Dentistry. He’s still under investigation for a number of sketchy things he did (which I won’t detail here).

The Board’s Investigator who’s handling my complaint advised me that I should attempt to collect a refund from this crooked dentist because I actually overpaid him on that first visit.

The Investigator said that the Board’s investigation could take months and that I should just go ahead and initiate my small claims court case against this crooked dentist.

So last week I wrote a demand letter to the dentist and I mailed one original to his office and the other to his home. Both were sent via certified mail. (Small claims court doesn’t allow lawyers, so that’s why I did this on my own.)

I took a little pleasure out of imagining this crook’s botox-ridden wife signing for the letter and then reading what I wrote: By my signature below I hereby demand that you refund me the full amount of money by which I overpaid you on ________, 2004, within ten days from the date of this letter. If I do not receive a refund of the full amount by July 8, 2005, I will file a small claims lawsuit against you in __________ District Court.”

Here’s my good news: today I received in my mail the little confirmation postcard indicating that his office assistant signed for my demand letter on June 29th. ALSO in my mail today was a letter from this crooked dentist that said, in part, “Pomeraniac, you win.,” along with a check for the full amount of my refund for overpayment.

That scumbag held my money for more than 8 months, and it took a complaint to the Dental Board AND the threat of a small claims lawsuit to get him to cough up my refund, but the son of a gun finally did give me back the money that I overpaid him when I paid for almost all of the crown on that visit..

When I read the sentence that said, “Pomeraniac, you win,” I thought to myself, “Yeah, I usually do win, you crooked scumbag. I usually do win against people like you.”

So my great news is that it feels so good to have won against a cheating, scummy, pompous, egotistical, crooked "professional" like this dentist. The lesson is that we little people can successfully confront these idiots and come out on top if we’re in the right.

My only regret is that it’s just a shame that it took so bloody much effort to get this scumbag to do the right thing, but oh, what a satisfying conclusion to this awful chapter.

(He's still under investigation by the Board, so I could still have yet more good news to post in the future!!)

Dang, I talk a lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    This thread really is a good start to the day, isn't it?
    And a good way to end the day.. Congrats to everybody!

I have some good news: I lost 11 pounds! And I'm gonna keep going

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac
    ...the new office manager gave me the quote and took my payment, she insisted that I give her the Personal Identification Number (PIN) for my debit card.

At first I thought I misunderstood her, but the big battle axe insisted that I give her the PIN so that she could process my payment. She swore that she needed the PIN to process my payment.

I refused. I told her that no merchant had ever requested the PIN for my debit card and it was not necessary in order for her to process my payment.
    I would report this to the BBB as well. How many people would not realize that this is just like giving someone all the money in your account? What a witch!

Here’s my good news: today I received in my mail the little confirmation postcard indicating that his office assistant signed for my demand letter on June 29th. ALSO in my mail today was a letter from this crooked dentist that said, in part, “Pomeraniac, you win.,” along with a check for the full amount of my refund for overpayment.
    Yay, Pommy!!! You are getting money right and left!

Dang, I talk a lot!!

NOT that there's anything wrong with that....

go trees! - I'm so jealous. How are you doing it? Pom - you go girl! I could just imagine you going after that scummy dentist. Did you ever get the crown from someone else? I was up at 2:30 this morning because I was a slug yesterday and alternated between reading, channel surfing, and napping. I haven't had to use any of the pain pills they prescribed - just Tylenol. I was so bored yesterday laying around I will try to get some things done today. I don't think it would be too much to unload the dishwasher, and small tasks like that if I take breaks the minute I feel tired. The mailman knocked on my door yesterday to alert me that I have a flat tire on my car, so at some point I'll have to deal with that. I have a few of the emergency tire inflators and sealers that will get me to the nearest air machine, but I don't want to attempt it alone. I'll either have my son go with me before work or wait for some well-wisher to offer help. My ex dropped off a child support check yesterday and asked if there was anything he could do to help. I asked if he'd be willing to take my stuff to the dump which is only open 2 days a week. He said he would. So you see, I'm not above letting even him help me. I can't wait until the 48 hours are up this evening so I can take a shower!!!
    Count your blessings!

CCL
    Way to go, Pom! Good for you.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread