+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree821Likes

Thread: Share your good news

Re: Share your good news

Cootie! You are a rockstar!
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

I've gotten a good price on a dumpster they will leave on site for 10 days and then pick it up. I can put almost anything it it, including broken furniture. I can't wait to get started.

Is this for your cousin's house?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Is this for your cousin's house?
    Yes. My cousin has lived there, but it's actually my house. She was rather neat, but still. She kept the strangest things. Many things aren't worth keeping. They can't be cleaned or repaired. It's going to take days to sort through it all and clean it up.

I think that's the hardest thing a lot of people have to face. Things that are sentimental to us and we can't throw out mean nothing to those who come after and have to clear it all out. My mom is cleaning out her house but has made some choices that made us cringe. She threw out a magic kit that had been my dad's when he was a boy in the 1930s/40s that we loved playing with growing up. If she had asked, one of us would have wanted it. When I was there a few summers ago, she asked me to take out the trash and right on top was the skateboard my dad had made for me out of a pair of my old roller skates and a thin board after seeing this new fad in California on the news. I mean, this was the first "skateboard" outside of California back in the mid 1960s!! I rode that puppy down a steep concrete road without the benefit of helmet or pads acquiring many bloody scrapes along the way. I salvaged it and occasionally challenge my skater boys to take it down the aisle of my smooth, flat classroom. Ha!
    beerbelly, Cootie and Debb70 like this.
    Count your blessings!

This is more like interesting news, but I didn't know where to post it. And I realized, I don't follow any other message boards, anymore, and I had to post it somewhere! By chance, I picked up a crumpled up paper at work yesterday and glanced through it...saw a blurb that Cary Elwes, actor, was going to be at a book signing at a book store at the SF Ferry Building because he just wrote a book about the making of, "The Princess Bride." My beloved and I LOVE that movie and he can quote lines from it like no tomorrow. I was extremely tired, and attending would have me in the city an extra 3-4 hours and then the commute home. Hmm...I went to the store's website, and it said you could order a signed copy of the book through them. I ordered it, but then got thinking, if I went, maybe I could get it personalized, get photos...I wound up going. Cary was extremely witty and had hilarious stories from the set (and he is still super-handsome, to boot!) He did an interview and audience Q&A and then the signing. I got the guy after me in line to take my phone and get photos of Cary signing my book. The highlight was that after he signed, he looked me in the eye, asked my name and then, in his wonderful British accent (dialect?) said, "Lovely to meet you, Barbara." The guy got photos of him shaking my hand and everything, it was so cool!

Then, I finally got home, and got an email from the bookstore site: they unfortunately had to cancel my order because the book sold out at the signing. So glad I went, and I'll do up a package for my beau with the photos and everything. Such a good day!

shaking hands (2).jpg.

That is so cool wannasee I'm glad you listen to your inner voice and went to the book signing.

That is 5-star wonderful!! So happy for you - I love crazy and fantastic experiences like this!
    Debb70 likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Thanks! I am just so tickled, I've never even gone to a book signing before! I am glad I didn't count on the ordered book. (Forgot to say, but he did personalize it, with both our names, and added, "As you wish..." )
    Punkin, JLuvs, Gutmutter and 2 others like this.

wannasee, that certainly is good news! It is good to see this thread get bumped up. Meeting authors or someone you've admired from afar is great fun.

I'll add a little bit of good news myself. I have signed up for a half marathon in May. It will be my 4th one in the last 4 years. I will be a fast walker amongst thousands of enthusiastic participants and am already motivated to get out and put in some miles to be ready!

+ Reply to Thread